IGNORED

What do you do with golf balls that you find that you would have no intention of gaming?

clearwaterms
Note: This thread is 4025 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Today while trolling the edge of the woods for my ball, I found 3 balls that had clearly been abandoned by the previous owner. Two of them were older titleist balls that look like they probably spent the entire winter outside, the other however was a brand new Nike. I typically have picked up these balls and throw them in a spare pouch in my bag, today I finally took them all out, cleaned up them, and decided that 3/4 of them, I wouldn't game for one reason or another, but none of them are throw aways. What should I do with them? Bang them away the next time I am at the range? I know some courses have a practice ball donation bucket that I believe ends up going to kids or to the high school, but my normal courses don't appear to have anything like that. Suggestions?

In my bag:

some golf clubs

a few golf balls

a bag of tee's some already broken the rest soon to be

a snickers wrapper (if you have seen me play, you would know you are not going anywhere for a while)

and an empty bottle of water

The family business my granddad started has about a 110 yard field I hit those kind of balls and work my wedge game, and once I collect a lot I usually just blast drivers and long irons into the woods.  A family friend hunts on the land and said he stumbled across one ball in the woods, and since appearently it was a slow day hunting wise, he said he just started searching the woods for golf balls, he must have brought me back 75 balls lol.

What's in my bag?
Driver- Taylormade TP Burner 2.0 5 wood- Launcher (4-GW)- Jpx Pro 800 SW- X Forged LW- 588 X Wedge- Tp-Z Putter- Unitized Tiempo

"Hard work beats talent"-Tim Tebow

I leave them lay in an easy to find place.  That way when some tightwad goes searching 10 minutes for a ball he won't be able to identify when he finds anyway he comes across this one in 30 seconds and plays it assuming its his.  I have no interest or use in lugging extra balls that I don't play.

• Upvote 1

If they appear to have any usefulness left in them, I'll wedge them out where someone else can find them.  I don't keep found balls unless by some miracle they happen to be what I use (Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow).

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by clearwaterms

Today while trolling the edge of the woods for my ball, I found 3 balls that had clearly been abandoned by the previous owner. Two of them were older titleist balls that look like they probably spent the entire winter outside, the other however was a brand new Nike.

I typically have picked up these balls and throw them in a spare pouch in my bag, today I finally took them all out, cleaned up them, and decided that 3/4 of them, I wouldn't game for one reason or another, but none of them are throw aways. What should I do with them? Bang them away the next time I am at the range?

I know some courses have a practice ball donation bucket that I believe ends up going to kids or to the high school, but my normal courses don't appear to have anything like that.

Suggestions?

I don't pick them up in the first place.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Originally Posted by clearwaterms

Today while trolling the edge of the woods for my ball, I found 3 balls that had clearly been abandoned by the previous owner.  I typically have picked up these balls and throw them in a spare pouch in my bag, today I finally took them all out, cleaned up them, and decided that 3/4 of them, I wouldn't game for one reason or another, but none of them are throw aways. What should I do with them?  Suggestions?

If I find balls that I wouldn't use, I put them in a golf cart at the pro shop. Either that or I give them to my friend, John.

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

I pick them up and throw them in with my practice balls.

Unfortunately for me there aren't any people around here that would leave them laying in the woods and I know a few non-golfers that walk the woods every day gathering them up to sell them, so I don't find nearly as many as I used to find.

I actually had to buy 100 practice balls a couple of months ago from one of them. First time I ever ran out.

Anytime I am the only one on the course (which is fairly often) I play a couple of rounds and then go around again hitting all kinds of practice shots and stopping to look in all of the likely places for golf balls.

I leave them where they are.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Throw them in an extra pocket on my bag to later be put in my shag bag to hit into the back 40.

~Justin

R11 9.5* w/Matrix Ozik Code 6.2
Taylormade 14* V-Steel w/ProLaunch Blue
Taylormade 16.5* V-Steel w/Aldila NV
Taylormade 21* V-Steel w/Dyanlite Gold S300
Mizuno MX 23 5-6 w/Rifel 5.5 SSx2
Mizuno MP 32 7-PW w/Rifel 5.5 SSx2
Callaway X-Forged 52*, 56*, 60*
Mizuno 0803 Custom Slighter

I game them on  my home course.  It has OB on 6 of 9 holes, and water hazards on 5 holes.  The fairways are narrow and if you don't hit the fairway you are OB or in a hazard.  I don't like losing 3-4 quality golf balls every round, so I use crappy ones on that course and save my good ones for rounds elsewhere.

Read about one guy who would collect them up in a bucket, then give them to kids in the family at christmas. I know if I got 100 golf balls when I was a kid I would have flipped out even if they were crappy, thought it was pretty cool thing to 'share the love'..

I either give them to somebody who's just learning to golf and still losing a lot of balls, or take them home and throw them in the practice bag.  We also have a big bucket of "throwdown balls" in the back of the pro shop at our course, I always donate a few to that cause also.  If they happen to be an e6 and have some life left in them, I'll toss 'em in my golf bag.

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

I don't have anything to do with any golf balls but my own. I wish more people did the same. At least they could wait for my ball to quit rolling before they pick it up.

• Upvote 1

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

I leave them, or give them to one of my friends that is a higher handicapper... I try to at least give them semi-decent balls though, that at least have some short-game value. I wouldn't wish a Top-Flite on anyone... ;)

MY GEAR:

Driver/Woods/Hybrids: RBZ Tour

Irons: X Forged 2013's

Wedges: SM4's (52/56)

Putter: PROTYPE Series

Balls: HEX Black Tour/Chrome +  Pro V1x/NXT Tour

If the are playable I will use them for winter golf and if I find extra I typically put them in them in the bin for the short game area. I went 7 rounds this winter with a Slazenger feel that I found and I was impressed it didn't take damage.

Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

Originally Posted by NM Golf

I don't have anything to do with any golf balls but my own. I wish more people did the same. At least they could wait for my ball to quit rolling before they pick it up.

I won't go anywhere near a ball that I even remotely think might possibly be in play by another golfer.  I've had my ball in play picked up by greedy ball-hawkers too many times, know the feeling and won't be "that guy".

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

I leave them where they are.

One of the guys at my club joined me for a round, he'd get excited every time he found a ball and picked up every one he came across.  He'd offer them to me which I politely declined.  At each hole he became more insistent that I snatch a few for myself.   I tried to be polite and just told him to keep them for himself.  By mid-round he was getting insulted that I wasn't joining in on all the free balls he was grabbing and felt the need to tell me he didn't "need" to pick them up, he just couldn't see leaving them there to rot.

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 4025 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!