IGNORED

My Swing (TDRKZ)

TDRKZ
Note: This thread is 4010 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 3 years over the summer

My current handicap index or average score is: Trying to get into the 90's currently in the 100's

My typical ball flight is: Medium height, no real movement with irons but tendency to slice with driver

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Swing consistency is a big issue for me overall. I am still trying to "build" a consistent swing. With my driver it's definitely my slice.

Body Type: 5'5'', 135 lbs, fairly athletic

Comments:

I finally decided to have my friend help me film my swing. Unfortunately, the only method I had to do so was the V1 app on my phone so the video is a little shaky and not the clearest. I believe I'm swinging a 6 iron in the video itself. Using the V1 app, I was comparing my swing to Anthony Kim and found that my takeaway just looks odd compared to his. I can't pinpoint what's wrong but I think my initial move on my takeaway is too much arms and not enough of a body turn?

I'm 100% self tought and would love to get some feedback on how I might be able to improve my iron play. I am a tennis player and feel comfortable with the general mechanics, however, I have a tendency to move certain parts of my body too much for my golf swing.

Thanks in advance. Let me know if other views are more useful. I'll try to get some better footage soon.

Videos:

I have a tendency to overswing. I end up trying not to cock my wrist as much in order to keep from doing so. I should shorten my turn and cock my wrists more?

What do you mean by "You're dragging your arms through and they look stuck behind you"?

Thanks

I have a problem with over swinging.. How I'm fixing it is this.. I try to imagine I'm hitting a 3/4 swing... And it appears to be perfect length.. Also if your arms are over or past your head its over swing, you can usually feel your self leaning to the left or backwards when over swinging Hope I helped ;)

I try to do the 3/4 swing thing often. Funny thing is, what you see in the video is probably me trying to swing 3/4 which gives you an idea of how bad it can sometimes be. Sounds like I need to shorten my backswing a little more and instead load my wrists more.

Start by having a read of this thread regarding your posture.

http://thesandtrap.com/t/56069/good-golf-posture

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by TDRKZ

So I am overdoing the straight back idea?

Will adjusting my posture resolve the arms getting stuck issue referred to above?

The "straight back idea" as often seen in golf magazines is a bad idea. You want to maintain the natural curvature of your back, which varies from individual to individual. You look awkward to me though, like you're trying to maintain a position that isn't your natural curvature.

You're also "chin up" rather than looking directly at the golf ball. While that devilish little ball doesn't move, you still want to keep as close an eye on it as you can and looking down your nose at it doesn't help.

A more natural posture will hopefully allow you to rotate more easily around your spine, at the moment you don't seem to be making a nice smooth rotation or centered pivot in your backswing.

Give it a go and post another video. It would also help if you can post one from the front too.

I am definitely forcing the position. I'll give it a shot tomorrow and see how it works out.

In regards to the "chin up": I do this to keep my chin from getting in the way of my left arm on the backswing. Maybe I should keep it down and if I hit my chin I know I've over rotated?

Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a shot and try to take a few more videos.

I am definitely forcing the position. I'll give it a shot tomorrow and see how it works out.

In regards to the "chin up": I do this to keep my chin from getting in the way of my left arm on the backswing. Maybe I should keep it down and if I hit my chin I know I've over rotated?

Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a shot and try to take a few more videos.

There should be room under your chin for your left shoulder even if you're looking at the ball. If you feel like there isn't room, then you're not turning your shoulders on enough of an angle. Your left shoulder should go down as well as forward, and your right shoulder up and behind. That will also help you with a centered pivot and put you in a much better position at the top of the backswing.

Try simulating top of the back swing standing perfectly still. Lay the club across your right shoulder with extreme wrist cock and with club head and shaft pointing at the target behind you and the club more or less parallel to the ground. Do not let your right elbow fly away from your body. a few inches is okay but your forearms should be going the same general direction. You do not have to bring it nearly back this far when you hit the ball but that is the plane you should be on. That and a nice even tempo should have you hitting it straighter. Good luck

There should be room under your chin for your left shoulder even if you're looking at the ball. If you feel like there isn't room, then you're not turning your shoulders on enough of an angle. Your left shoulder should go down as well as forward, and your right shoulder up and behind. That will also help you with a centered pivot and put you in a much better position at the top of the backswing.

Doesn't having a steeper shoulder angle make your swing more of a 2 plane swing though?

Doesn't having a steeper shoulder angle make your swing more of a 2 plane swing though?

You'll need someone a little more clued in about the swing than me to answer that one. The good news is there are some very knowledgable people around here who are very helpful and happy to share their knowledge.

But whether it's 1 plane or 2 plane, if you're going to maintain your spine angle to the ground, you need your shoulders to rotate around that angle. Yours are too flat and it makes you lift up and look awkward at the top of your swing. You do a good job of not then coming over the top which is unusual for a higher handicapper, but the downswing still doesn't look right and you dip your head significantly.

Give it a go and post some new videos including one front on.

Click image to see full sized version on imagur

I was comparing my shoulder angle to Louis Ooosthuizen's in the image above and it does not seem too different. Here is what I am noticing:

1) Posture is slightly awkward

2) Pulling my arms to far back

3) Arms way behind my body and have not started to pronate my wrists

4) Just now pronating my wrists. Also this is where the "lifting of my shoulders" occur because I've pulled my arms way behind and need to get my swing back on plane

5) Lifting chin up

6) Losing lag

7) Lost all the lag

8-10) Looks OK I believe

Does this seem like an accurate interpretation?

Swing used to compare against found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnoF3_fror0&list;=UUjmwmK_G3H8iJHaaYGiLn6g&index;=11

3) Arms way behind my body and have not started to pronate my wrists

To me your hands are off but the real issue is the club head. It is way back there. It is tough to hit consistently with the club so far out of position. It wouldn't be so bad if you rejiggered at the top but your flyaway right elbow is making for a loose cannon coming and going imo. btw, your swing mechanics are not bad. You have a straight left arm and that is something to build on. If you can get both elbows and both wrists working together you will have a monster swing.

3) Arms way behind my body and have not started to pronate my wrists To me your hands are off but the real issue is the club head. It is way back there. It is tough to hit consistently with the club so far out of position. It wouldn't be so bad if you rejiggered at the top but your flyaway right elbow is making for a loose cannon coming and going imo. btw, your swing mechanics are not bad. You have a straight left arm and that is something to build on. If you can get both elbows and both wrists working together you will have a monster swing.

Would you suggest lessons? It is really hard for me to tell where my club head is in relation to my body without video taping every swing.

Note: This thread is 4010 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!