IGNORED

'Not good enough' for MP 53's?

Note: This thread is 4005 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The wife and I rode the back of The Dragon yesterday, 318 switchbacks in 11 miles. Awesome!  During that time I've contemplated a few things, notice the lack of posts for the last 24 hours or so.  I think I have come to the conclusion that God is telling me not to buy these or any clubs for that matter, quit the game and then go feed starving homeless children. bye

on second thought:

Here's my issue on the shaft selection: if I show the fitter one thing, but do something entirely different on the course, how do I find a shaft on my own? I play around with my swing a lot, lagging at times, flowing smoothly at other times, I'm currently working through this zen master type swing where I become one with the club LMAO. I have a lot of swing knowledge or technical knowledge but have yet to settle onto something that I repeat over and over and over again or what I would call practical knowledge. I'm on a very steep learning curve, partly because I played in HS then in army and partly because I am retired. I have forgotten a lot, but am recalling it very quickly. Besides, it's my nature to ingest whole worlds in entire gulps, golf being no different.

Some articles I have read, perhaps even by Iacas, would indicate that all the clubs, by rule, have to be close to the same anyway. And when I think about the degrees on the clubs themselves, I wonder, just how much difference can there be, really, from club to club. Maybe that's why some of you have indicated to just go with what looks good and feels good. Clearly the placebo effect must be at play here, but if it works, then whatever, right? At one point in my haze of memories, I recall pointing out to my wife, these aren't really doing anything different then my current clubs. Somehow I temporarily blocked that out in my pursuit to spend money.

Would I be best suited for a standard shaft, one not too stiff or whippy, until I get to a point, if I ever do, where I am certain I want more or less firmness? If this is true, then what about lie angle and the rest? One would presume I address the ball the same each and every time and I can't necessarily say I do that either.

Keep in mind my goal was to replace a cursed set of clubs about 2 years ago, but when I did I replaced them with a seriously gimped cavity set and then I accidentally got the 6 iron caught under the wheel of my cart and broke the shaft. Playing with those clubs was like playing with a whiffle bat or something, but I wouldn't discover that until after a year of constant playing, I mean near daily constant playing. So here we are, new season, no Burners to play with since I broke the 6 iron last year, and here we are with the cursed dead mans set once again. I don't want another set of whiffle bats, but I also realize that blades are an awfully aggressive club, but then I am an awfully aggressive kind of guy so there you have it.

Thank god for user names...I'm having to bleed my heart out to the world just to find a set of clubs that I can learn to master. oh right...click submit

The fitter has more experience fitting, then you have being fitted.  Let him do his job.

Or you could do what you seem to have done so far and just get whatever you think is best without regard to their input....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

With all due respect, you say here that you know what you want, yet you apparently go into the stores asking the clerk to help you select clubs and because they suggest something other than your preconceived favorite you lose confidence and go home saying they "won't sell me the clubs I want."  I'm really pretty sympathetic, I get ideas about stuff and get stubborn when people try to steer me in a different direction too.

Looking at the Mizuno web site, it appears they do Demo Days all over the place.  Perhaps you could find one somewhere within driving distance of you and go talk with a factory rep.  They could explain why they make a range of clubs, from Super Game Improvement through Pro clubs, and the benifits of each.  If you remain set on a specific model they can at least try to assure it has the right shaft and lie angle.

Just a couple of other thoughts... Thirty years ago most people learned to play with muscle back irons simply because that is about all there was.   Not much farther back than that everyone learned with persimmon headed woods (or laminated to save a buck).  Doesn't mean persimmon was better than the new metal woods...  It's your game, and your money, play it and spend it as you see fit.  I personally am content to use game improvement clubs while trying to improve my game.  I got a set of Ping G20s.  They have a big cavity back and wide sole and top line (and are sorta ugly to some) and I'm getting to the point I can hit most of 'em nice and straight and acceptably far most of the time so they look real pretty to me.  When I get my game into a better place I'll know when/if I need "better" irons and won't mind paying the price for a new set.  But there are lots of quite good players that elect to play more forgiving clubs because they SAVE more strokes they they could gain from more workable clubs.  Golf is about low scores.

Driver: Titleist 913 D2 10.5*, Aldila RIP Phenom 50

Fairway 1: Titleist 913F, 17*, Titleist Bassara W55

Fairway 2: Titleist 913F, 21*, Titleist Bassara W55

Irons: Titleist AP1 714 5-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95

Wedges: SCOR 4161 48/52/56/60, Genius 9

Grips: GolfPride New Decade Red Mid-size on all of the above.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Super Stroke Slim 3.0

Giddie Up Dead Horse!

Thank you for your reply.  Overall, the MP 59 is not going to be quite as forgiving as the MP 53.  The cavity is much smaller, and therefore the center of gravity is not as low. The purpose of a cavity on a golf club is to help stabilize the head at impact on a mis-hit.  Advancements in weight distribution have allowed the cavities to become wider and deeper.  These features allow game improvement style irons to be more forgiving, as well as benefit players in trajectory and distance.  Most golfers would start out with a club that is slightly easier to hit, and then as their game progresses, move into an iron that is more suitable for shot shaping.  In our opinion, it sounds like the fitter is attempting to point you in this direction.  If you need any additional information, please feel free to let us know.

Best regards,

Mizuno USA

http://www.mizunousa.com
Consumer Support Division
1-800-966-1211
Straight from the horses mouth. Since I accidentally miss more then I accidentally hit, I think I'm qualified just fine.  I also think I will try a proshop instead of a sporting good store. This way I can see the ball flight better and wont be thrown off by cold play and jitters.

Just tell the guy at Dick's that the clubs are for your Uncle (who is not to be messed with) and that he is a 0.8 Handicap. Done.

• Upvote 2

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Originally Posted by Prodaytrader

I also think I will try a proshop instead of a sporting good store. This way I can see the ball flight better and wont be thrown off by cold play and jitters.

There you go.

I hated the JPXs.  Looked and felt terrible.  I couldn't figure that out, I was told the GI clubs were so easy to hit....

I own the 53's (declined the 3i) and have very reasonable controllability and shapability.  Like them a ton.

I'm likely more suited to the 59's or 63's in retrospect (and looking at the 53's vs the 63's, the 8, 9, PW is identical), but I wouldn't buy another set just because of that, the 53's are great.

I wouldn't consider the 69's at all.

I hit with stiff shafts, have very high head speed, play in the 80's mostly.

If you are a Mizuno fan - go get fitted officially at a real shop.  Take the advice.  But then buy what you like, what feels and looks best at setup.  Just insist and hand over the money.  (get the right shaft though).

You can write a note to Dick's about your experience and stop there.  You have nothing to prove.  And the reps are probably trying to do their best but you aren't connecting at all.

Bill - 

Originally Posted by Prodaytrader

Ya I was gonna have my wife do that for me.  Which shaft do I tell her to get?

LOL, I ain't touching that one...

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

"Seek the advice of a professional...that will tell you exactly what you want to hear."

Sounds like a plan...

nike.gif  VR-S Covert 10.5*

nike.gif  SQ2 15*

Idea Black Hybrid, 19*

mizuno.gif  MP54, 4-PW

vokey.gif SM 50*, 54*, 58*

nike.gif  Method 001

nike.gif  RZN One

Basically if you don't hit the ball on a dime you should not be using players irons. Check out the JPX 825 and the 825 Pro. I did but went with the Titleist AP1.

:tmade: SLDRs 14* driver, 17* fairway, 19* and 22* hybrids | :odyssey: Versa White #1 putter

:nike: XR Pro 24*, 27*, 31*, 35.5*, 40*, 45*, 50* irons | :vokey: SM4 54*, 58* wedges

Oh yeah I forgot you already have the GI irons. Now you're stepping up to blades with stiff shafts. Sending the wife in so you don't have to prove that you are worthy of them. LOL

:tmade: SLDRs 14* driver, 17* fairway, 19* and 22* hybrids | :odyssey: Versa White #1 putter

:nike: XR Pro 24*, 27*, 31*, 35.5*, 40*, 45*, 50* irons | :vokey: SM4 54*, 58* wedges

Originally Posted by rehmwa

go get fitted officially at a real shop.  Take the advice.

this could have been the end of this thread....

Colin P.

Sounds like you may be overestimating your ability.  If 2 fitters have told you that they may not be the right clubs for you, maybe they arent.  Thats the funny thing about when you go for a fitting: you have to check your ego and preconceptions at the door.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Originally Posted by GaijinGolfer

Sounds like you may be overestimating your ability.  If 2 fitters have told you that they may not be the right clubs for you, maybe they arent.  Thats the funny thing about when you go for a fitting: you have to check your ego and preconceptions at the door.

Most likely (the bolded part).  However, if those are the clubs you want regardless of what the fitters tell you, march in there and demand that they sell you the exact clubs you want.  Make it clear that you don't care what they think, you don't want their advice, and that they're going to lose a sale if they don't sell you those clubs.  Any business who's not out of their mind should be more than happy to take your money under those circumstances.  As far as the shaft goes, tell them to fit you as best as they can and deal with it, because those are the clubs you want and you aren't interested in any other clubs.  I can't see them giving up a sale just because they don't agree with your choice of clubs and/or don't think you have the ability to play them.

[ETA:] - I agree with the advice that pretty much everybody else has offered in this thread, but it sounds like you have your mind set on those particular clubs and won't settle for anything else.  Whether you're making a mistake (which is quite possible) or not, it's your money and you should be able to spend it as you please.

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

• 2 weeks later...

Protrader- I have never responded to a thread before but this is absurd.  Protrader you sound delusional.  If you could play with blades you would know what shaft was right for you, you wouldnt have to guess.    You want the blades for when you hit that pure shot..any club hit pure will give you that tingly feeling.  You don't need a blade for that.  There is so much to say that I will not waste my time on.  Bottom line if you felt confident in your ability to buy these clubs you would have purchased them already. Instead you go in the store ***** footing around waiting for the right fitter to say "awesome swing you should really get these clubs.  Did you take lessons?"  Where you will then respond, "thanks no I never took lessons only started playing again about a year ago and felt it was time to step up to the blade."  Your questioning yourself about these clubs and you were upset when someone confirmed these are not for you.  I play the JPX pro love them they have the forged feel, allow me to shape shot with a good swing.  My 5 travels a true 200 yrds  however on the occasion I misswing; on that long par three over a hazard I still get a good 150 yrds of carry, allowing me to chip up and worse walk away with a boge. The blade is doing nothing like that for me I miss hit that I'm re-teeing.  I would be pissed I owned a club that looked great in the bag, looked good in my hand, & thats where the good and greats ended.

In conclusion, a club will not create a good golf swing, practice and lessons will. You should develop a more consistant swing to allow yourself hours of endless fun with your blades. To achieve this result you should take half the money you were about to spend on these blades and get lessons.  Visit this coach every two weeks until the $500 runs out. In between lessons spend 20min on the range at least 3 days a week working on what your swing coach tells you.  Get good 9-18 holes played then hit the range to work on your swing.  You'll have a better idea what to work on after 18 holes then before them.  Once your consistenly hitting that purty push draw buy a used blade on ebay and go to the range with it.  Hit that consistantly, At that point you realize you will never become great unless you own blades because all these other clubs are just masking your swing flaws.  Walk into dick with confidence that when you step up to that swing monitor you will hit your purty push draw 3 times over. When a golfer has a good swing there is no stage fright. It's fun to swing in front of people. After the sales person is impressed and can't help but throw these forged blades into your bag, you can thank him/her for his/her time and walk out of there with a confident purchase.  With these blades in the bag you will strike fear into the hearts of those unlucky enough to get paired with you in your local tournaments.  It's either this or buy the blades now, while still haveing a 40 yard dispparitty with the same club & be forever known in your small town tournaments as THE HACK WITH THE NICE BLADES .

THE END

• Upvote 2

Note: This thread is 4005 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!