IGNORED

Masters Bush League Bullying - Everything I hate about Augusta

chico713
Note: This thread is 3985 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Unless you on a college team, mini tour or nationwide/PGA tour, you already play different rules. Do you ride a cart? Use a rangefinder, ask a partner what club he hit, hit one ob and drop one rather than walk back to the tee? Ground your club in a hazard? Unplug a plugged ball (no such thing as "winter rules" for the pros). When "rules" contradict truth, the rule tends to be null, or at the least, ignored. Technicalities are the "gotcha's" that kill credibity like getting a ticket for going 36 in a 35 mph zone.

Originally Posted by chico713

Unless you on a college team, mini tour or nationwide/PGA tour, you already play different rules.

Do you ride a cart? Use a rangefinder, ask a partner what club he hit, hit one ob and drop one rather than walk back to the tee? Ground your club in a hazard? Unplug a plugged ball (no such thing as "winter rules" for the pros).

When "rules" contradict truth, the rule tends to be null, or at the least, ignored. Technicalities are the "gotcha's" that kill credibity like getting a ticket for going 36 in a 35 mph zone.

DING DING DING! We have a winner for the most ridiculous post of the month!

Where should I start on this drivel? First, carts are not against the rules of golf. Rangefinders are covered by local rules and if you think pros don't use them you are wrong. They might not use them during competition but that's just because they have already lasered every yardage possible and recorded it in their yardage books during the practice round. An embedded ball in the fairway gets unplugged by the pros too. Its called Rule 25-2. And if the tour feels the course conditions are not perfect they play lift, clean, and place. It's perfectly legal to ask your "partner" what club he hit just not your fellow competitor. You're just cheating yourself if you don't hit a provisional if you might be out of bounds or ground your club in a hazard.

And you'll find many, many, people on this forum play by the exact same set of rules you would see on Tour. I am one of them. I am not on a college team nor on any Tour.

• Upvote 3

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

DING DING DING! We have a winner for the most ridiculous post of the month! Where should I start on this drivel? First, carts are not against the rules of golf. Rangefinders are covered by local rules and if you think pros don't use them you are wrong. They might not use them during competition but that's just because they have already lasered every yardage possible and recorded it in their yardage books during the practice round. An embedded ball in the fairway gets unplugged by the pros too. Its called Rule 25-2. And if the tour feels the course conditions are not perfect they play lift, clean, and place. It's perfectly legal to ask your "partner" what club he hit just not your fellow competitor. You're just cheating yourself if you don't hit a provisional if you might be out of bounds or ground your club in a hazard. And you'll find many, many, people on this forum play by the exact same set of rules you would see on Tour. I am one of them. I am not on a college team nor on any Tour.

Ding ding ding! We have a winner for the best response to the previous ridiculous post! :-D

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Your take on rangefinders makes my point. They aren't allowed in competition but you can scope every twig so you know every yardage. So why disallow them in competition. Which is it - they don't want you to know the exact yardage, or they want you to figure it out the old fashioned way (but in that case they wouldn't let the caddies make the yardage books with rangefinders in the first place), so it becomes some kind of Boy Scout "who can walk off yardage and do math contest. Btw why do they mark yardage on sprinkler heads? If its ok to know the number, why can't pros use a Bushnell. ding.

And I'm sure none of you purists ever give or take a 6 inch tap in.

What does this or anything else you've written have to do with a golfer playing in The Masters getting a penalty for slow play after multiple warnings?  What any of us do during a friendly round of golf and what we'd be expected to do playing in a tournament like The Masters are two completely different subjects.

Joe Paradiso

Your take on rangefinders makes my point. They aren't allowed in competition but you can scope every twig so you know every yardage. So why disallow them in competition. Which is it - they don't want you to know the exact yardage, or they want you to figure it out the old fashioned way (but in that case they wouldn't let the caddies make the yardage books with rangefinders in the first place), so it becomes some kind of Boy Scout "who can walk off yardage and do math contest. Btw why do they mark yardage on sprinkler heads? If its ok to know the number, why can't pros use a Bushnell. ding.

Never have understood this but in most competitions they have been made legal by local rules. On the PGA Tour I imagine it has to do with caddies, I mean what would they do if they weren't walking off yardages? Doesn't mean its a different set of rules, you can guarantee they have exact yardages. Next you'll say that because I can wear shorts and they can't, we play a different game.

Nope I go ahead and tap it in. In fact I actually got on a guy this weekend who gave me a 2 footer and hit my ball back to me. I nicely asked that he not do that I prefer to make every putt. The only time I take putts is in match play and Fourball competitions.

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 

Because marking yardages on sprinkler heads is totally left up to the course. I've been on courses were they had no yardages marked, except for the 200/150/100. I've been on courses were all they marked were sprinkler heads. I've been on courses were they have those yardage plates in the ground that can be driven over with out being broken. So it depends on the course. Ever play TPC sawgrass, they enforce a constant cart path only all year round, they don't want you driving were the ball is in play. USGA gives leeway to certain rule sets. Its the same with technology, Ping eye 2's were banned in Europe, but allowed in the United States when they first came out.

Look at Whistling Straights a few years ago, they deamed anything with sand in them a bunker. So when Dustin Johnson grounded his club, he was in violation. A lot of courses mark those waste hazards, and you can ground the club, like if you play in Arizona and hit it in the desert. It was a rule written up and given to the players before the tournament.

I believe they are allowed by caddies before the tournament to get yardages. I know a lot of caddies pace off yardages. To me i think the USGA and PGA tour don't allow them because they would look stupid on TV, when you see everyone looking up to take yardages for each shot. They allow technology to a point, but they want to maintain the integrity of the game, which they are allowed to do.

All that matters is if everyone, in the tournament is playing by the same rules. I played in a highschool match were this one green was deamed unfair, it was like that US open in the early 2000's, were the balls kept rolling off the green, even near the pin. This summer was so dry and hot, that this green got unfairly fast. If you didn't get the ball putted up to the 2nd tier, it would roll back off the green, it basically took out 75% of the green's playable area. So they told us, you get it on the green, you can try to make your first putt, but after that you pick it up. People were 4,5,6 putting this green, i mean about every player. So they made a rule for the highschool match, that all players played by, that made it fair. It protected the players against an unfair playing condition, but it was a ruling made by the coaches before the tournament began.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

This is all about the rules and human interpretation of said rules. How strictly do we adhere to them. The 14 yr old at Augusta was penalized due to strict enforcement of the slow play rule. I think I've made a case by expert opinion (Azinger said it was a joke), relativism (speeding tickets) and examination (rangefinder hypocrisy) that there was plenty of room for Mr. Paramour to show some leniency. Case closed. Ding.

This is all about the rules and human interpretation of said rules. How strictly do we adhere to them. The 14 yr old at Augusta was penalized due to strict enforcement of the slow play rule.

Strict enforcement of the rules? You gotta be kidding me! Warning someone 3 times prior to the penalty is hardly strict enforcement. I would argue they may have too lenient. I hope the next time I get pulled over for speeding the cop is as "strict" as you say.

I think I've made a case by expert opinion (Azinger said it was a joke),

And Paul Azinger is an expert? I can guarantee I could find just as many so called "experts" that support the ruling 100%. Most of those "experts" were the players playing behind his slow ass.

Originally Posted by chico713  examination (rangefinder hypocrisy)

Not sure what you mean here, do you know the meaning of hypocrisy? I mean its a pretty big word.

Quote:

there was plenty of room for Mr. Paramour to show some leniency.

He did show leniency he waited 4 times to penalize him. How long was he to watch this snail until he took action?

Case closed. Ding.

Dingbat maybe.

In closing, I enjoy the fact that you have to resort to name calling and "shoot the messenger" animosity. Thank you for including me on Paul Azinger's team. I'm sure you know more about golf than he does. Have a nice day.

• Administrator

In closing, I enjoy the fact that you have to resort to name calling and "shoot the messenger" animosity. Thank you for including me on Paul Azinger's team. I'm sure you know more about golf than he does. Have a nice day.

Not a big fan of simple, basic logic, are you chico?

Azinger isn't a rules official and doesn't even play golf these days. So yes, people can know more about the rules than Paul Azinger.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

This is all about the rules and human interpretation of said rules. How strictly do we adhere to them. The 14 yr old at Augusta was penalized due to strict enforcement of the slow play rule. I think I've made a case by expert opinion (Azinger said it was a joke), relativism (speeding tickets) and examination (rangefinder hypocrisy) that there was plenty of room for Mr. Paramour to show some leniency. Case closed. Ding.

If Guan wasn't warned multiple times and they just hit him with the penalty I might be more likely to agree but that's not what happened.  The group as a whole and kid were warned multiple times and everyone except Guan made an attempt to speed up their play.  Mr. Paramour showed leniency in warning him three times before hitting him with the penalty.

Guan needs to learn to follow the rules if he's going to play on the Tour.  This could have been a costly lesson, but better he learn now as an amateur than when he's playing to keep his PGA Tour card.

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

A question from part of the discussion about range finders:

I've only been to 2 pro events. The Tour Championship, where I never actually went out on the course, and an LPGA event last fall in Montgomery, where I did go out into the fairways after the last group came through.

We had been sitting on a hillside halfway down a par 5 and I was curious how far the second shot was for most of the ladies. Most were laying up but a few were going for the green and I was curious how long the shots were so after the final group went through and they allowed the crowd to enter that fairway I went to that spot to see if there was a yardage marker on a sprinkler head close by. To my surprise there were many yardages painted on the grass in the fairway in intervals in addition to the ones that we would all see if we played that course on sprinkler heads.

As we followed the last group in and as we left the course on the way home I noticed that all of the fairways had distances painted at fairly regular intervals on the fairway grass.

I was wondering if having that many yardage markers available on the course is common on the LPGA or PGA Tours or if that was unusual?

If it is commonplace it would be much easier for the Pros to fairly quickly know their distances without a range finder than it would be for the public to know their distances without a range finder.

Originally Posted by MS256

A question from part of the discussion about range finders:

I've only been to 2 pro events. The Tour Championship, where I never actually went out on the course, and an LPGA event last fall in Montgomery, where I did go out into the fairways after the last group came through.

We had been sitting on a hillside halfway down a par 5 and I was curious how far the second shot was for most of the ladies. Most were laying up but a few were going for the green and I was curious how long the shots were so after the final group went through and they allowed the crowd to enter that fairway I went to that spot to see if there was a yardage marker on a sprinkler head close by. To my surprise there were many yardages painted on the grass in the fairway in intervals in addition to the ones that we would all see if we played that course on sprinkler heads.

As we followed the last group in and as we left the course on the way home I noticed that all of the fairways had distances painted at fairly regular intervals on the fairway grass.

I was wondering if having that many yardage markers available on the course is common on the LPGA or PGA Tours or if that was unusual?

If it is commonplace it would be much easier for the Pros to fairly quickly know their distances without a range finder than it would be for the public to know their distances without a range finder.

While I have never seen the yardages painted in the fairways, I would venture a guess to say the course probably wasn't adequately marked so they had to add the painted numbers. While the pros cannot use range finders in competition, they have caddies and the courses are marked very well. Those guys have exact yardages every bit as good as I would get with a laser and better than a GPS. This goes back to my point. Sure the pros can't use rangefinders, but the fact is with the yardage books they have and their caddies they really don't need one.

Rules I break:

- I don't drive 55

- I buy stuff on ebay and don't pay sales tax to the people's republic of New York

- I talk on my cell when I drive

- I don't wear my seat belt

- I'm a bad man

Well, you have certainly lessened the validity of anything else you say.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

i putt every tap in.

In my Grom Stand bag:

Driver: Ping G20, 8.5 Tour Stiff
Wood/Hybrid: G20 3W, Raylor 19*, 22*
Irons: R9 5I - SW, TM CGB LW

Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi-Mid

Favorites: Old Ranch (Seal Beach), Ike/Babe (Industry Hills), Skylinks (Long Beach), Desert Willow (Palm Desert)

I don't understand that people that think that this kid should not have to follow the rules.  It was unfortunate, but that's life.

In my bag:
Driver - Diablo Octane 10.5*
Fairway Wood - Diablo Octane 15*
Hybrid -  Edge 21*
Irons - X20's 4I - 9I
Wedges - X20's PW/SW
Putter - White Ice 1
Ball - Warbird

Note: This thread is 3985 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!