Jump to content
IGNORED

Masters Bush League Bullying - Everything I hate about Augusta


Note: This thread is 2903 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Recommended Posts

  • Administrator
Originally Posted by Rick Martin

what part of my post are you having difficulty with? The greatest golfer? Or that he has a lot of weight to what he says?

Nice attitude.

Just because he won 18 majors does not mean he can't ever be wrong… as he is in this case.

You didn't answer my question, because you know the answer is "no."

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

DING DING DING! We have a winner for the most ridiculous post of the month! Where should I start on this drivel? First, carts are not against the rules of golf. Rangefinders are covered by loca

Thanks log man, this is totally relevant. I now definitely agree that Guan shouldn't have been penalized ... Because there are sexists in Australia.

You would deliberately slow down play to prove your point? That makes you a grade A dick in my book.

I only mention Nicklaus because 18 majors and a close full of green jackets carries more weight than anyone named Chico in a golf forum, and for that manner anyone who disagrees with him in that golf forum.
Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by chico713

I only mention Nicklaus because 18 majors and a close full of green jackets carries more weight than anyone named Chico in a golf forum, and for that manner anyone who disagrees with him in that golf forum.

Yes, his opinion does carry more weight in the golf world ... people will definitely listen to him, whereas they couldn't really care less what you and I think.  However, just because people will listen to him doesn't make him right 100% of the time.  And he's wrong about this one.

Further, I don't know if his opinion on slow play should matter that much.  Wouldn't that be sort of like taking chipping advice from Hunter Mahan?  Putting advice from Boo Weekley?  Marriage advice from Tiger Woods?

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Administrator

Jack Nicklaus is not bigger than the rules by which we play the game, and Guan violated - repeatedly - the pace of play rules.

Jack is wrong on this. That's fine - he still has 18 majors. We don't take one away every time he's wrong.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Jack hasn't played competitive golf in nearly 8 years. He gets to sit on the sideline and spectate. Really in 2005, he was playing the majors only. I am not sure how bad pace of play was when Jack was actually playing a full schedule of golf, but i bet it wasn't close to slow play there is now on the PGA. Jack probably has little experience with slow play. Believe me, i am sure Jack might have gotten hit with a few warnings in his day, he wasn't a fast play by any means.

18 major's doesn't make him the definitive source for the rules on golf. I believe Arnold Palmer said he didn't want to see two sets of rules for Pro's and Amateurs. I think Gary Player said he did want to see two sets of rules. Who's opinion do we believe, both are accomplished players, both live for golf, both have won multiple majors. Everyone has there opinion, just because they have clout doesn't mean there right.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Even Jack can take a joke about how slow he was.

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/john-feinstein/why-not-to-emulate-nicklaus/

Of course since then the art of slow play has been perfected even more. The worst I've ever noticed was the group ahead of Tiger's group at Torrey Pines. A snail could have gotten around the course faster than they did.

Since they were 30 minutes behind the group in front of them I have no idea why something wasn't done. I joked that Tiger's group should have played through or skipped a hole and gone back to it later.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by NM Golf

Being the winner of18 major championships does come with its benefits.

But he is still a golfer, not the Pope.  So infallibility is off the table.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by turtleback

But he is still a golfer, not the Pope.  So infallibility is off the table.

Hence my comment that he was allowed to be wrong... umm...because he won 18 majors.

At the risk of starting a Holy war I'll let that Pope comment go

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Not sure if it was mentioned on this 2 week old thread but I've learned the "clock" doesn't start until a player pulls a club. Tour players routinely get around the clock by debating the shot with their caddy before pulling the club. Apparently Guan didn't know how to delay the game "legally"
Link to post
Share on other sites

"Day’s par-par finish might also have spared tournament officials from a vitriolic insurrection by those who felt that the teenager had been unfairly targeted. After all, Day’s group needed 5 hours, 45 minutes to complete 18 holes, yet Guan was deemed to be the only player in violation of the slow-play policy."....That was from the Boston Globe. Tell me how Gaun was penalized and no one else was. Two reasons, he wasn't savvy enough to know how to work the clock, and he was a 14 yr old kid from China. Paramour felt no hesitation fining a kid who wouldn't fight back and question him in the press. Also, the chances that Paramour crosses Gaun's path again are slim because he's not a tour member.
Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by chico713

A penalty shot on a 14 year old Chinese amateur?  Are you frigging kidding me??!!!  And then none of these sycophantic announcers have the balls to say how wrong it was because they don't want to get banned by the racist and fascist Augusta National administrators.  C'mon the kid is 14!!!  What id that 8th grade.  Pick on these other guys that are taking FOREVER to get a yardage, read the wind, chat with the caddie, ask the PATRONS to be quiet..If this kid missed the cut over this it would be a travesty.  I love the course and the back 9 on Sunday but these guys should take their bully act and stick it up their ass.

Trevino changed his shoes in the parking lot for a reason

Nobilo, Chamblee, and the rest of them are a bunch of pussies

I disagree as well.  He was warned several times throughout his round.  He should have picked it up.  Your comments throughout this thread seem to be a direct attack on Augusta itself.  While Augusta is well deserving of criticism, there is no way you are going to convince anyone that Guan did not deserve that penalty, that he was not repeatedly warned throughout his round, or that his group was not out of position.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by chico713

Not sure if it was mentioned on this 2 week old thread but I've learned the "clock" doesn't start until a player pulls a club. Tour players routinely get around the clock by debating the shot with their caddy before pulling the club. Apparently Guan didn't know how to delay the game "legally"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

There's no way this is right ... is there?  Can somebody confirm this?

I would love to have him cite where he found this little tidbit of information. I cannot find that anywhere. All I find is this:

Once that timing of a group begins, each player has 40 seconds to play each stroke, except in the following cases when he has 60 seconds:

• He is the first of his group to play from the teeing ground of a par-3 hole;
• He is the first to play a second shot on a par-4 or par-5;
• He is the first to play a third shot on a par-5;
• He is the first player to play around the putting green;
• He is the first to play on the putting green.

That certainly seems wrong to me someone could take all day and the officials couldn't do anything. I am pretty sure that chico713 is full of .

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Administrator
Originally Posted by chico713

Not sure if it was mentioned on this 2 week old thread but I've learned the "clock" doesn't start until a player pulls a club. Tour players routinely get around the clock by debating the shot with their caddy before pulling the club. Apparently Guan didn't know how to delay the game "legally"

The clock starts when it's your turn to play, whether you've pulled a club or not.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by NM Golf

That certainly seems wrong to me someone could take all day and the officials couldn't do anything. I am pretty sure that chico713 is full of .

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing .. however, I didn't know for sure so I didn't want to argue with the same quantity of backing information as him. :)

Originally Posted by iacas

The clock starts when it's your turn to play, whether you've pulled a club or not.

And that is pretty much what I thought because that is, well, logical.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think what he is referring to is some of the commentary during the Masters the day after it happened. I can't remember who was calling it that day. But a few that opposed it suggested because Guan was unaware of how to get around it that he'd been unfairly targeted because it's common practice. One scenario they suggested was tour pros send the caddies ahead while purposely lingering behind to allow time for their caddies to get a read on yardage and lie, the entire situation etc. Therefore avoiding the 40 second thing. Could be a little off but it's close enough. They basically insinuated because Guan is green he got to his ball earlier than the known slow players and got hung up on what to do and was put on the clock. Their gripe being no actual additional time was spent because its common practice for others known to be extremely slow to loaf as their caddies go through the above routine. I heard it, more than once, and IMO it seemed like a stretch. I don't recall anyone citing actual rules.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 2903 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasfeb21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
  • Posts

    • Not a worry at all, I hope I didn't sound mad or anything.  
    • Well I apologize omitting your prediction, I will go back and add you. Not that my list is "the list", but it gave me something to do.
    • Good point. The regular prisms can be used on cloudy rainy days too as they’re not too dark.
    • That is not what the board is for. You don’t lock your butt. It gives you a sense of the proper set up and can be used for EE work as I have done.
    • Not very good.  Many years ago, a friend (who is fluent, non-native, non-Japanese even) put me up to learning how to order my then-typical sushi order in Japanese.  She taught me the words and so on, and I was doing reasonably well until I ordered usagi (thankfully, she was there to explain to the chef what I meant).  Of course, I was effectively going from a memorized script and not trying to speak. Oh my that looks good.  I never really know what to serve for the Masters.  Something peach flavored, and I never can quite find pimento cheese.  Kettle chips and chocolate chip cookies seem good, and of course the iced tea (but given where it's from, that tea might be too sweet for me). No, I think I was omitted from both of your lists of who predicted who.  I put my prediction of Schauffele down on Wednesday, which I quoted back (in the comment you're replying to).
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. BigRedAl99
      BigRedAl99
      (68 years old)
    2. jmadsen
      jmadsen
      (58 years old)
    3. Nick Avisa
      Nick Avisa
      (55 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...