IGNORED

Will Sergio Garcia Win the 2007 Open?

Note: This thread is 5084 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Will Sergio Garcia win the 2007 Open Championship?

• Yes - He'll be in or near the lead the entire weekend.
    • Yes - But he's going to cut it close and have to get lucky.
    • No - But he'll finish in the top 10.
    • No - He's going to completely and utterly collapse.

• Administrator
I vote no. He made everything he looked at today and hit a lot of shots close. Neither of those can continue at quite the same torrid pace. He's still mentally lacking.

I predicted -6 would WIN this year, but I'm still thinking the weather will not be so nice at least one of these days to balloon some scores. 55 degrees is nothing - I mean some real wind and a little rain.
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I also went with no, but top 10. Consistancy almost always wins the majors and Sergio is very streaky. I'd guess he'll shoot low-mid 70's Fri and Sat then and then around 67-68 on Sunday. If he can follow-up with another great round tomorrow then all bets are off.

Chris

IF he can keep putting like he did today. hes not gonna lose. Hes gonna have problems being paired in the afternoon but i think he can hold everyone else off and keep playing good golf.

I don't think he will. I don't have enough confidence in his putting. He's a great ball striker though.

Sergio + Tiger in the final pairing = great action...

He's been known for how bad a putter he is. And, well, now he's putting great! If his putter stays hot, I think he's got a chance!

I gave him the benefit of the doubt and said he would finish in the top 10. I actually believe that he will have a complete melt down finish out of the top 10.

The Golf Channel gave a stat saying that only one first round leader in Open history has gone on to win; I find this hard to believe given how old the tournament is. If it is accurate (or I heard correctly) then the cards are stacked against him. I personally wouldn't mind seeing him get the monkey off his back.

I've been on record as saying I think he'll win a British within the next several years. To me this is his best chance at a major, by far. I picked him as 4th best option this week so after today, I certainly think he can win. Will he? I kinda hope so... but I say he finishes 3rd after a final round where he makes absolutely nothing on the greens. Hard not to predict his putting to fall apart until he actually proves he can putt when it really matters.

I knew right out of the gate he would play well opening round.. he's due for a decent showing and i dont think he will completely fade out. Granted, he's streaky.. and his putting comes and goes like a prostitute. No one knows if the putter just got hot for a day, and come saturday he'll go back to missing everything outside 4 feet.. or he's got it for the remainder of the week. we'll see.

Off topic, does anyone else think Bobby Clampets anouncing is incredibly annoying?

Sergio Garcia is a media sweetheart for some reason that is completely beyond me. He may have flashes of great golf, but he will never be remember as one of the greats.

However I might be biased. The mere sight of him makes me want to vomit.

Note: This thread is 5084 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!