IGNORED

Your Golf "Secret" and How It Makes You A Better Player

Mulligan Jeff
Note: This thread is 3841 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This thread is about you, it's about what particular swing key(s) you focus on that enable you to play better golf. Many of us have taken formal lessons, read golf tips, gained a tip or thought from a friend or colleague. So share with us what is the one or two swing key(s) that you focus on that make you a better player?

I'm not a good golfer by any means. I've held steady at 9-10 for quite awhile now.  My biggest swing thoughts are to maintain spine angle/steady head, get s full shoulder turn (turn back to target), transfer weight, and try to stay on plane.

The best thing I did to get better (but don't do much anymore) is to play tournaments, play for a little money - have something on the line for the golf you play.

Over the last several years it has dawned on me that I probably won't get much better, so my goals lately has been to try to enjoy the round and the people around me. Life it too short to take this game too seriously.

I'm sure most people won't like this one, because it goes against their Holy Grail of Golf, but the key to consistency for me is to not only keep a flat left wrist but to not intentionally cock my wrists at all because when I did it was inevitable that at some point in the round the "wrist cock" was going to turn into a cupping of the left wrist, and the kiss of death for my swing (and my game).

At first I stumbled on it just messing around and trying to imitate Steve Stricker just for fun. When I noticed it worked for me I thought it would be worth giving up a few yards for more consistency. Then a surprising thing happened. I realized that I hit my irons farther than ever before with no more effort, and hit my driver about the same distance that I always did.

Spent about a month getting used to the new distances with my irons. The hardest thing was to have a shot across the water and have a club in my hand that was 2 clubs less than I had ever used before on that shot and mentally committing to the ridiculous distance that club was going to go.

For me it is all about good contact.  That is what I focus on the most, from putting on up to driver.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I focus on my spine angel and keeping my right knee turned slightly in to keep from swaying. Those 2 things have helped my game a lot in the past year. Even after taking 3.5 months off for winter I was able to come back out shooting where I left off and even slightly better.

Originally Posted by MS256

I'm sure most people won't like this one, because it goes against their Holy Grail of Golf, but the key to consistency for me is to not only keep a flat left wrist but to not intentionally cock my wrists at all because when I did it was inevitable that at some point in the round the "wrist cock" was going to turn into a cupping of the left wrist, and the kiss of death for my swing (and my game).

At first I stumbled on it just messing around and trying to imitate Steve Stricker just for fun. When I noticed it worked for me I thought it would be worth giving up a few yards for more consistency. Then a surprising thing happened. I realized that I hit my irons farther than ever before with no more effort, and hit my driver about the same distance that I always did.

Spent about a month getting used to the new distances with my irons. The hardest thing was to have a shot across the water and have a club in my hand that was 2 clubs less than I had ever used before on that shot and mentally committing to the ridiculous distance that club was going to go.

Not against my holy grail! :)

On my backswing, I keep my right arm straight, and just feel like my right shoulder is going to where my left shoulder is... puts my shoulders in a good position to stay on plane. Keep my hands loose, and let them cock after I stop rotating, like the end of a whip does before it is used. Then I move my hips forward and let everything else follow. Also, I move my head down a bit, keeps my upper body in position to just rotate like it did going back.

Driver: 10.5* callaway Razr Hawk Tour - 350 yards(usually into the wind, it can be windy here. at least 400 with a little wind behind me)

Hybrids: 2 and 3 callaway Hybrid razr tour (312 and 287 respectively)

Irons: 3i-10i callaway forged standard length(278, 263, 250, 235, 221, 213, 201, 190)

Wedges: callaway jaws cc 52* 12 approach, 56* 16 sand, 60* 13 lob (0-185)

Odyssey Black tour #9 putter(5 ft, i'm always at least within 5 feet on my approach shot)

I wonder who on this forum is a PGA tour pro, disguised as a normal player.. 

2013: play in the US amateur qualifier

I read a post on here about posture and been doing all the fundamentals. ohhhh and on my drive the ball is in front of my lead foot... alot of guys thinks that's weird.  works for me so SHHHHH haha

I try to focus on two swing keys - slow back swing and turn my back to the target for full shoulder turn. I do need help on transfer of weight to left side in the downswing - any advice??

I just focus on making a nice smooth swing and keeping my head down rather than really going at the ball. I hit the ball further and straighter this way, I just need to find a way to keep a good tempo. I figure if I can hit it far with a "slow" swing, shouldn't one twice as hard go twice as far?? Why can't it work that way..

In the Bag 2013:

Driver:  FT-9 Draw i-Mix 10.5*

3 Wood:  R11s 15.5*

3 Hybrid:  Idea Tech V3 19*

Irons (4-PW):  ZB Forged

Wedges:  Tom Watson PVD; 52.07*, 56.13*, 60.07*

Putter:  White Ice #1 33"

Originally Posted by Mulligan Jeff

I try to focus on two swing keys - slow back swing and turn my back to the target for full shoulder turn. I do need help on transfer of weight to left side in the downswing - any advice??

Skip a lot of rocks across a pond (hard).

If I was teaching my kid to play golf we would skip rocks as much as we hit golf balls. The weight transfer in a sidearm or submarine throw is the same as a golf swing.

I'm drinking coffee in my kitchen and going through the motion of skipping a rock across the pond - the transfer of weight is there and the hips clear as well! I will keep on this. Great advice.

1. Elbows close throughout swing = keeps my arms in front of my chest

2. Keep clubface looking at ball throughout backswing (Feeling) = no need to try and square clubface on forward swing

3. Aim to the center of greens on approach shots

4. Play the golf course, not your playing partners

5. Never compound mistakes. Play for a bogey and move on.

6. And most importantly, practice your short game and putting. This will give you more success than any swing thought!

Weight transfer. If I hang back Willie Mays Hayes style bad things happen. My last thought before I pull the trigger is "Walk it in".

In general though there are no swing thoughts. Its all about getting the right distance, the right club and having a smooth tempo. I lose 5-7 shots a round because I miss clubbed or focused too much on distance to the flag rather than distance to where I want my birdie putt to be from.

Practice the short game.

:)

srixon.png.c29104d99ab6ca6ecb927e9dd97b26f1.png    Z785 Driver 10.5° Tour AD BB 7x    |    F65 4W Tour AD TP 7x    |    Z765 4-PW Dynamic Gold X100 AMT    |     Z-Star Ball

TM.png.36c3c24d72a4ac809b0def631452f3ba.png    M3 4H HZRDUS Black    |    Spider Tour Putter

titleist.png.c92d01bf6404c1675a5e518a7447f2c6.png  Vokey SM7 50° 55° 60° Dynamic Gold S400 Tour Issue Black

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My two biggest things are keeping my head down (im 6'6" using standard length clubs so this is imperative not to lift up or ill miss the ball completely, lol), but not overcompensating and hitting fat and to keep my focus on everything but my swing.

I have a pretty decent natural swing, played hockey and baseball my whole life, so I have been swinging objects for most of my life. I know the swing planes and techniques are way different, but I caught on to golf decently fast.

That being said I psyche myself out too easily and worry too much about my swing. When i'm having fun is when I'm golfing the best.

Note: This thread is 3841 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!