IGNORED

Tipping

iacas
Note: This thread is 5556 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

meh... whats a few bucks... specially when they charge you 10 bucks for a domestic beer

Well, usually they only give you the $10 beer if you

ask for it. If they put it in your hand when you weren't looking and then expected to be paid, that'd be a little different. Fortunately I don't play anywhere that sees itself as even remotely upscale, so I don't encounter these "services." Personally, I think it's extremely rude to handle your gear without asking permission first, so if they get pissy about not being tipped, it's clear to me who's in the wrong.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

I can't stand it, I usually don't play those types of courses unless it's a charity scramble type of thing.

What really chaps my azz is the old muddy towel routine on the clubs, and they have you trapped because of the "no carts in the parking lot gimmick".

But, i give the guy $1 and thank him for cleaning out the grooves on my irons for me with his muddy towel.

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

Just dudes trying to make some money, giving a dude $5 bucks to clean my clubs isnt going to hurt me. Even when I just walk my clubs to my car myself I always stop by the give those guys some money. I wouldnt be able to sleep at night otherwise. My absolute biggest pet peeve in the world is people who dont tip.

Clubs I havent thrown in a lake yet

Driver: R7 CGB max 9.5*
Woods: R5 3, and 5 woods
Hybrids: Rescue Burner 22*, 25*Irons: CG Red 6 - PWWedges: CG12 52*, 56*, 60*Putter: 1 of 100 handmade pebble beach http://scottycameronblog.com/2007/09...pebble-beach/#Vegas golf sucks!!

Frankly, it would be nice if these guys simply asked you if you would like these services. If so, then you can compensate them.

I agree but I also realize that many patrons and members of the establishments to provide services like these expect this kind of treatment and would make an issue of the bagboy who waited to be asked or was always asking to help first. In most places like this these service providers are trained to move in immediately without being asked. Often times when there are several bagboys/bellhops/car attendents/etc. standing around there is a competition among them to get to the fares/tippers first. Also generally speaking high rollers who go for this treatment like to be fussed over and have everything done for them. The service provider who is johnny-on-the-spot usually gets the best tips further reinforcing the practice of their overly aggressive behavior.

I don't feel sorry for the people who work these jobs. In college I had a few buddies that lived down in Orlando and a couple of them worked part time at some of the Disney area resorts as bellhops. They made great money for basically doing very little actual work (loading someone's luggage onto a push cart and taking it and the people up to their room in the elevator). That's not hard work. I'm not cracking on them for doing it, but most of the time patrons of such establishments feel like there is an expectation to tip/pay for these kinds of services regardless of any need. It's seen as part of the resort experience, and so patrons pay for something that they wouldn't ordinarily consider paying for. A form of social arm twisting if you will. I'm not a high roller and I'm not inclined to play the role even for a little while just because I've decided to go somewhere that caters to that mindset. But that's me. A lot of people enjoy this aspect of going somewhere "fancy" or high class, and that's cool. The people who work at such establishments are relying upon that desire.

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

I'm with DrFro, I wish they'd ask. :) I tend to leave it to the fates as to whether I'm tipping someone or not.

I treat it as a pregame warmup, When I arrive at a course, if the bag drop is manned by a bagboy, I'll park the car and walk my clubs up.

If I get there and it's unattended, I'll drop my bags and if by chance, by the time I park and return someone is loading my bags on to the cart, I'll give them a tip, usually $5 bucks.

Same thing applies to the club cleaners, I'll try to avoid them, but if I get tagged, I'll let them do their business and another $5 bucks.

I'd rather not tip these guys, especially when I can do these things myself, but I'm not going to let something like that infuriate me.

The game can be frustrating enough and you don't need to add fuel to that fire by getting bent out of shape over tipping guys trying to do you an honest service :)

Dave

its not about the money to me at all. i'll tip them without a problem. but when they put my bag on the cart backwards so i have to take it back off and turn it around, i dont feel that i should be tipping them for that.

I agree but I also realize that

Bingo!! All of you tightwads who posted here need to realize that you are in a tiny minority. The nicer resorts are not going to change their policies for you, because 95% of their patrons

expect this sort of service, and they would complain all the way to the top if they don't get it. As a lifelong public links player, I don't see those services any more than the rest of you on my home courses, but when I go someplace where it's provided, I just go with the flow. When you take a golf vacation this is what you will experience. I do enjoy that fleeting feeling of being someone special when I'm on vacation whether its a golf resort, or a dive resort, or any other upscale destination. You guys just need to chill out or don't bother traveling to play golf.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Bingo!! All of you tightwads who posted here

Some people just don't like their clubs touched. That may make them persnickety, obsessive, etc., but not necessarily tightwads. Some people did mention they didn't like to spend the money, but not all.

Also, some people like to play a nice course for the course itself, and not for being treated like a 'big shot.' What I have seen at some private clubs is that some members treat the staff extremely poorly - like servants, even. Show me a guy who WANTS to act like a big shot and 1 in 10 of them (if not more) is going to be a raging dick. The first rule, I think, is to be polite and appreciative whether accepting service, declining service, or tipping. I've seen people tip and while they were tipping they grumble and make some kind of snide comment. Nice. It's not all about the money, it's about treating people respectfully - and that goes both ways, not only on a golf course but on a forum as well.

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

Bingo!! All of you tightwads who posted here need to realize that you are in a tiny minority. The nicer resorts are not going to change their policies for you, because 95% of their patrons

I don't think it is that. If you're charging the highest rates you need to differentiate yourself from the competition, or just any other golf course. The same can be said for any part of the service industry and that may mean providing these kinds of services.

The times I have played at courses where my clubs were cleaned the people didn't do a good job at all and I ended up finishing it when I got home. As I see it when I go for a top of the line service it buys me options. If I want my clubs cleaned there's a guy there who can do it for me, if I want to eat my meal on the plane whenever I want I can, If I need a hard to get table at a decent restaurant in a city I don't know well I call my concierge...

In the Matrix XTT Standbag:

Driver: Biggest Big Bertha 11*
Fairway Wood: Steelhead Plus 3 Wood
Irons: T-Zoid Titanium Insert irons 3-SWWedge: Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.04Putter: Pro Platinum Laguna 34" w/ British Open '04 headcoverBall: ProV1 Rule35 Playing again after a three year hiatus...

Oh don't go making this about money. I've seen very few people here who are upset about chipping a couple of bucks for a service. The issue for me is that a tip is an acknowledgement of good service. If someone walks up when I'm not looking, grabs my bag, throws it on a cart, and then gives that expectant look.. sorry, that doesn't qualify. "May I help you with your clubs, sir?" is the right way to start that interaction. Hell, if they do it right, even if I decline the assistance they might earn a tip for their effort.

If the regular patrons at the resort are miffed about that kind of service... well, you can bet that's not the kind of place I'll be found.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

I don't think it is that. If you're charging the highest rates you need to differentiate yourself from the competition, or just any other golf course. The same can be said for any part of the service industry and that may mean providing these kinds of services.

Upscale buys you better service, not more options. In many cases it buys you fewer options. For instance, most of the better places I've played there was no option to drive the golf cart to your car. You were required to use the bag drop or schlep your bag as far as a couple of blocks from the parking lot. I know guys who don't even have a strap on their big cart bags, so the bag drop is the only real option. The the bag boy just automatically transfers the bag to the cart. That's just how it is. I've been to resort hotels where they take your clubs when you check in and put them in a locker in the golf clubhouse, then you just show up for your tee time and the clubs are already on the cart waiting for you. Granted that is quite rare, but it's nice to feel like that once in a while.

Also, some people like to play a nice course for the course itself, and not for being treated like a 'big shot.'

I don 't see it that way. For one thing I don't consider it being "a big shot". I consider it being treated like any other customer. What you describe as being treated poorly at a private club isn't what I've ever seen at a golf resort. Private clubs yes, they can be snobby, but I'm not talking about that. Most resorts go out of their way to provide those little services because the competition is stiff, and they have to cater to everyone. Most ordinary Joes I know like to get that bit of extra recognition when on vacation, or just a weekend to a nice resort (at least everyone I know does). I guarantee that if I go to a golf resort and I DON'T get treated well, I won't be back, and I'll post it all over the internet as well.

What I don't get is why are so many people here so upset about it? Talk about snobbishness. "Nobody touches my clubs!" is being way over the top to me. You'd think they were trying to grab your crotch or something.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Tips started out as a way to reward or recognize exemplary service. Now, if the guy took my bag and hand washed my clubs with a bucket and brush like I do at home after every round, that is exemplary service and calls for a tip. Hitting them with a muddy-ass towel for 10 seconds is not. People mistake doing their paid job and going above and beyond. Tips should be earned .

To reiterate what someone above said: If you ask for service that is one thing, but to shove something in your hand then expect payment for it is something else altogether.

Tips started out as a way to reward or recognize exemplary service. Now, if the guy took my bag and hand washed my clubs with a bucket and brush like I do at home after every round, that is exemplary service and calls for a tip. Hitting them with a muddy-ass towel for 10 seconds is not. People mistake doing their paid job and going above and beyond. Tips should be

EXACTLY. most of these guys dont do a good job cleaning the irons. they are usually giving them a quick wipe with a muddy towel, and i ALWAYS end up recleaning them when i get home

i've yet to encounter this sort of treatment, but then, i also make it a point to avoid the super-swanky courses for the time being. i've basically told myself that when i'm a scratch player (or really close to it), then i'll start checking out these uppity expensive courses. until then, $40 per round is my max, and $40 courses generally don't have bagboys or club cleaners. at least not here.

Upscale buys you better service, not more options. In many cases it buys you fewer options.

That's true for some golf courses, but I guess I was expanding my point out to hotels, air travel and other aspects of 'luxury' service. I'll try and keep on topic

Tips started out as a way to reward or recognize exemplary service. People mistake doing their paid job and going above and beyond. Tips should be

Agree 100%.

I loathe the way that a tip has appeared to become a substitute for a wage. Where I live we have a local chain of upscale supermarkets and it is standard practice for a teenager or elderly person to wheel the cart from the register out to your car and help you load it. One day I needed the assistance and afterwards tried to tip the girl a few dollars, she refused saying it was company policy to not accept tips.

In the Matrix XTT Standbag:

Driver: Biggest Big Bertha 11*
Fairway Wood: Steelhead Plus 3 Wood
Irons: T-Zoid Titanium Insert irons 3-SWWedge: Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.04Putter: Pro Platinum Laguna 34" w/ British Open '04 headcoverBall: ProV1 Rule35 Playing again after a three year hiatus...

Note: This thread is 5556 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!