IGNORED

TheSandTrap Socal Golfers - Summer 2013 Outing - Discussion

Note: This thread is 3931 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. What Socal region should we host the next TST tournament?

• Los Angeles
    • Orange County
    • Inland Empire
    • San Diego
    • Other...

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Overall, it was a great day... The weather was a little chilly and overcast in the morning, but later in the day on the back 9, it became really sunny with a pretty healthy breeze.  The temperature was around 75 which was perfect.  Especially since the price of your first beer at the bar after your round is the temperature!

Lets do it again this Fall!  My picks are Industry Hills, Goose Creek or Oak Quarry...

Originally Posted by tristanhilton85

Looking forward to doing this again... I was thinking the fall as well and since Mr. Desmond said he'll be down between 9/24 and 9/30 I say we go for that week. I was thinking maybe in the Temecula area since we haven't been there yet and it is kind of central for everybody.

I may miss the next one as I have a full September schedule already.  The weekend of the 28th, I'll be in upstate New York for a wedding. :)

However, even if I'm not there, I definitely think that the Inland Empire and Temecula area are both good ideas.  (Unless its still hot, which is entirely possible in September)

I'll be playing Industry Hills in August for a tournament, so I'll let you guys know what that one is like afterwards.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Lihu, if you like the last one we played at (Tukwet) I recommend that you try the one just on the other side of the freeway, Oak Valley... That is a GREAT course.

We will. Thanks, Tristan.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

All,

Justin, Steve and myself had a great time and to finally meet everyone was great. Loved that course nothing but positives from us three we are looking forward to the next outing. Sorry this was all the pictures I took to busy having a good time. The pictures are a bit out of order, the first two was at the end, everyone sitting around have a beer, soda what ever!

Thanks to Team E for helping us out when our cart broke down, it was nice of you guys to pick us up even though it caused issues with the group behind you.

Me just hacking away!

My son Justin.

Steve my father in law.

Mike M.

Irons G30's 4-U.

Hybrid's Callaway X2Hot 3 and 4.

Vokey Wedges SM5 Tour Chrome, 54*, 58*.

Putter Greyhawk, G25 4 wood, G25 Driver.

Brandon, thanks a lot for coming down!  I thought that was really cool of you.  If you come back again, lets try and get out and play a round on Sat/Sun before or after the TST outing.

Beach

Quote:

Hahahha most likely! Although I made a nice putt on 18! :)

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Team C, Big C!  Had a great time with Cullin.  I thought it was pretty funny... He's a Notre Dame alumni, and was riding with Dan the USC alumni.  The good news, we finished without any fistacuffs!

Cullin or Colin?

Anyway, Colin thanks for meeting up for breakfast and it was good meeting/chatting with you.  Make sure you look me up if you're up in Sacramento and end up golfing for "business".  I can be a potential client

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by bplewis24

That's a good idea. I nearly played a round of golf on Saturday while I had some down time, as the first tee box was empty after I finished up on the range.

Quote:

Hahahha most likely! Although I made a nice putt on 18! :)

Yeah, that was a clutch (10 footer?) to save par and ensure that GD didn't beat you. You know he pulled his approach into the water after a monster drive on that hole, right?

Yeah, I was getting heckled by the peanut gallery (golfswine, pakoh, mdl ... but mostly golfswine) and was totally confident that I was gonna stuff that approach (105, perfect SW) and then somehow managed to hit it 75 and 15 yards right.  Wha??????

And let's not forget to remind "Mr. 37" that the reason why he had to make a clutch 10 footer is because he hit his 40' lag only 30 feet.

All in all, it was a very enjoyable day.  Glad I finally got to meet you Brandon, not to mention play golf together ... and smoke all those other fools! ;)

The smack talk on 18th hole blowups needs to start and end with me. Let's review

- Snap hook my drive 150 yards into the shrubs left of the tee box.

- Hit a pretty good 7 iron recovery to about 90 yards in.

- Hit my sand wedge approach fat with a capital "F" in front of the green

- Shank my chip shot over the bunker on the right side of the green

- Hit a marginal second chip to about 10 feet from the cup

- Miss the 10 footer on the left and tap in for my 8.

- Realize that was my third "triple or worse" hole on the back nine and immediately drown my sorrows in .75 cent beer

Cullin or Colin?

Anyway, Colin thanks for meeting up for breakfast and it was good meeting/chatting with you.  Make sure you look me up if you're up in Sacramento and end up golfing for "business".  I can be a potential client

Brandon, good meeting up with you too and congrats on the solid round. You definitely deserved the $6 side bet winnings. Next time I'm in Sac, with an afternoon to kill, I'll be sure to contact you.

P.S. - yes it is Colin

Originally Posted by Big C

The smack talk on 18th hole blowups needs to start and end with me. Let's review

- Realize that was my third "triple or worse" hole on the back nine and immediately drown my sorrows in .75 cent beer

LOL.  As much as you're rooting for everybody else, it is kind of fun to sit there at the 18th green and watch everybody limp home. :)

By the way, did anybody else take a gorgeous 6 inch long by 2 inch wide divot, 4" behind the ball on a tee shot with a .... wait for it .... driver????

I did that on #10, thank you very much. :)  Bad news was the ball went about 80 yards, but the good news was that it went straight, so I made "par" on that 400 yard par 5.

Originally Posted by bmartin461

Here is Kaili and his dad Lihu on a very picturesque 8th hole.

Unfortunately, the only pictures I took are on the first couple holes, here's a more interesting one of Kaili trying to hit out of the branches of a bush and Brad moving the sprinklers for a better shot.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Originally Posted by Big C

Ha!  I spotted you wayyyy back at the beginning of the brush and figured you must have hooked one into it.

That 18th hole is actually kinda cool the way it set up to allow a gallery of competitors to intimidate the (already difficult) approach.  Although, I did feel bad for Brad (?), who was trying to chip while the crowd was growing big and the chatter was picking up.  Seemed like he handled it pretty well though!

Originally Posted by Lihu

Unfortunately, the only pictures I took are on the first couple holes, here's a more interesting one of Kaili trying to hit out of the branches of a bush and Brad moving the sprinklers for a better shot.

Ha, that's a great picture.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Here is Kaili and his dad Lihu on a very picturesque 8th hole.

Saw Kaili hit a great shot on 18, definitely the best swing out there yesterday

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Although, I did feel bad for Brad (?), who was trying to chip while the crowd was growing big and the chatter was picking up.  Seemed like he handled it pretty well though!

Yeah, the chatter didn't bother me, better then it being all quiet with all eyes watching me.  All I was thinking was, don't hit it fat into the bunker, don't hit it thin into the drink.....

Ended up 12' from the hole, so happy with it.

Brad

Yeah, the chatter didn't bother me, better then it being all quiet with all eyes watching me.  All I was thinking was, don't hit it fat into the bunker, don't hit it thin into the drink.....

Ended up 12' from the hole, so happy with it.

Brad

I loved that 18th, so cool to look down off the tee and see everyone there even though on my second shot I put it right in the bunker off the green, that is when things just went bad!

Hitting from front bunker to the back bunker what a bummer!

Mike M.

Irons G30's 4-U.

Hybrid's Callaway X2Hot 3 and 4.

Vokey Wedges SM5 Tour Chrome, 54*, 58*.

Putter Greyhawk, G25 4 wood, G25 Driver.

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

And let's not forget to remind "Mr. 37" that the reason why he had to make a clutch 10 footer is because he hit his 40' lag only 30 feet.

40' lag?  That was longer than 40'!  I was barely on the front of the green and the pin was nestled near the back.... I'm guessing it was a closer to a 70' putt - and left myself with a nice 10' up hill!  Which I drained for par!

40' lag?  That was longer than 40'!  I was barely on the front of the green and the pin was nestled near the back.... I'm guessing it was a closer to a 70' putt - and left myself with a nice 10' up hill!  Which I drained for par!

I stand corrected.  Google Maps does, in fact, concur that the lag putt was actually more in the vicinity of 75-80'.  (I was the one that had a 40 footer on 18 .... which I made ;))

Pssst ... (Beachcomber still sucks!  But don't tell him I said that)

• Administrator

There. I helped you out.

Quote:

Pssst ... (Beachcomber still sucks!  But don't tell him I said that)

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by mvmac

Saw Kaili hit a great shot on 18, definitely the best swing out there yesterday

Thanks. I am sure he and his coach will appreciate the complement, especially coming from you.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 3931 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!