IGNORED

2013 RBC Heritage at Harbour Town Discussion Thread

walk18
Note: This thread is 4014 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I usually enjoy watching this tournament because the oceanside holes are stunning.  But with all the crap that has gone down in Boston this week, I am a bit fatigued watching TV.  Now that it is over, maybe we can enjoy it.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Perhaps you were right:

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Well he makes the cut either way right? And he's probably not winning anyway ... Maybe bring some goodwill his way from those 15 guys if he just lags it up there in the morning. ;)

Everybody in the field at +2, put your envelopes in my locker...

Originally Posted by boogielicious

I usually enjoy watching this tournament because the oceanside holes are stunning.  But with all the crap that has gone down in Boston this week, I am a bit fatigued watching TV.  Now that it is over, maybe we can enjoy it.

Really, there is only the final hole on the sound/water. I think the rest of the holes are practically inland, except maybe that par 3 17th that starts to border the course.

I visited there a couple of times. Even went up to top of the lighthouse.  Huge yachts out there as well----probably belongs to a top 10 player.

Figured I'd give myself a better look at the course ... so I just played it on Tiger Woods 12 on Wii.  (As Masters champ Adam Scott)  I was a little rusty and shot a +1 72 with 6 birdies, 4 bogeys and a triple.  Ouch.

In all seriousness though, the course (on TV and Wii) looks fantastic, however, one that I would struggle on.  Looks really really tight.  I am remembering last year as well ... this is the place where you can hit "perfect" drives in the center of the fairway and be blocked out by trees on your approach.

This is one of my favorite tournaments that unfortunately gets overlooked because its right after the Masters (yes the Masters is over now people).

I've always assumed this might be a bigger event if it wasn't directly after The Masters. If I was on the PGA Tour, I'd probably skip it too.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by jamo

I've always assumed this might be a bigger event if it wasn't directly after The Masters. If I was on the PGA Tour, I'd probably skip it too.

I like the course too but understand why it's not a favorite among the top players.  Fairways are way too narrow for Phil.

Joe Paradiso

Certainly one of my favorite courses to watch being played......enjoy watching these guys play their balls around a short, tight course for a change....really like the par 3s

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

Seems like the wind really picked up this afternoon and then took its toll on the players.  Thought that Graeme played really well today, save for that last hole.  Nice finish to this great tournament even though the scores were a bit higher and even though a few guys weren't able to withstand those difficult conditions.  Enjoying the playoff as it's always nice to get some 'free' golf, as they say.

Originally Posted by BallStriker

Certainly one of my favorite courses to watch being played......enjoy watching these guys play their balls around a short, tight course for a change....really like the par 3s

Agreed.  I really enjoy the tighter, and shorter tracks that show us that every course doesn't need to be stretched to 7500+ to provide challenging conditions and a compelling tournament.  This has proven to be, yet again, a very entertaining event with a climactic finish and playoff.

Watched the 4th round today. It was nice to see them working the ball around those overhanging tree limbs with big fades or hooks. Must be some of the tightest fairways on tour. No wonder two US Open champs (GMac and Webb Simpson) are in the playoff right now.  Watched Simpson putt from way off the green on a few holes (too windy to chip?) and he knocked them tight. I guess some players have every shot in the bag.

Driver: Taylormade Superfast 2.0.  9.5 Stiff Reax 4.8

3 Wood: Taylormade Superfast 2.0 Loft 15 Stiff  Reax 4.8

Irons: Mizuno MP-64 4 iron. MP-69, 5-PW, DG S-300 Shafts. 

Wedges: Mizuno MP T-11, 50 (gap) and 56 (sand).   

Putter: Odyssey Two Ball putter (circa 2004) 

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

Originally Posted by newtogolf

I like the course too but understand why it's not a favorite among the top players.  Fairways are way too narrow for Phil.

My guess is Phil isn't the only one whose game wouldn't suit this layout so I don't blame any of the bombers for avoiding courses like this one We were still treated to a great finish and a wonderful event at a very challenging golf course.

Originally Posted by cutshot878

Watched the 4th round today. It was nice to see them working the ball around those overhanging tree limbs with big fades or hooks. Must be some of the tightest fairways on tour. No wonder two US Open champs (GMac and Webb Simpson) are in the playoff right now.  Watched Simpson putt from way off the green on a few holes (too windy to chip?) and he knocked them tight. I guess some players have every shot in the bag.

I love golf courses that offer that kind of shot value and variety.  It really causes the players to think their way around the golf course and to play position golf off of the tee, adding lots more value to driving the golf ball to the proper location in the fairway.

well I think the average score was about 3.5 stroked higher than what it was the rest of the week.  That's around 5%.  So I say for us hackers we could add 10-15% to our average scores in windy conditions.  Really wanted Simpson to win but GMac is a great player as well.

Driver: :tmade: R11S (9 degree)
Woods: :tmade: R11 3 (15.5 degree) & 5 (19 degree)
Irons: :tmade: R11 4-AW
Wedges: :tmade: ATV 54 & 60 degree
Putter: :scotty_cameron: 2012 Newport 2
Ball: :titleist: ProV1
Rangefinder: :bushnell: Tour V2

Originally Posted by Rick Martin

good tournament - interesting finish.

I was gratified to see that G-Mac really wanted to win on the birdie rather than have WS miss the par putt.  GM saw the putt miss and actually looked upset about the other guys miss.  He went straight to WS and commiserated that he was robbed.

It's a good statement on the competitiveness of the pros - they want to win, rather than the other guy fall down.  That said, I fully expected GM to make that birdie putt after missing it to get pushed into the playoff in the first place.

Bill - 

It's a stroke of genius, I think, to have Harbour Town the week after The Masters, and no further proof than the two players who ended up battling it out - GMac & Webb Simpson - two former US Open champs. As well, the list of winners at HT is impressive. I get the feeling that if it was any other tour stop many more would skip it, but it's a course the pros generally like to play.

Note: This thread is 4014 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!