IGNORED

Q&A with PING Senior Design Engineer Marty Jertson!

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3952 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Senior design engineer for PING Marty Jertson has offered to answer questions submitted by you guys, The Sand Trap community. Erik and I will pick 10-20 questions from this thread for Marty to answer.  His answers will be put together in a Q&A; Sand Trap article.  So if there was anything you wanted to know about PING golf clubs, what it's like to play in a major, how clubs are designed, tested, tour equipment, technical aspects of golf science, etc, THEN POST YOUR QUESTION IN THIS THREAD!

BTW Marty can play, he's a PGA professional and has qualified for the 2011 and ’12 PGA Championships and was clutch at the 25th PGA Cup in 2011, going 4-0 as the U.S. team defeated Great Britain & Ireland, 17½-8½.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'd like to Marty that if he was going to receive a new set of irons, but could only choose one of the clubhead or shaft himself with the other to be a random (current model) component which way would he go and why?

Marty, as a golf club engineer, where do you go from here? The ruling bodies have pretty much legislated future technological advances out of the game and just about everybody is already making equipment that's right up against the limits. How is the industry going to be able to offer golfers something tomorrow (or, say, two years from now) that's convincingly better than what you're putting in their hands today?

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Ping is very hesitant to add adjustable hosels.  They mention the weight it adds to the club in the wrong places.

Their new adjustable hosel only adjusts 1/2 a degree I believe. The engineering department won out over the marketing department for sure.  How significant is adding weight to the hosel as far as club performance, what are the potential negative effects?

Originally Posted by inthecup

Ping is very hesitant to add adjustable hosels.  They mention the weight it adds to the club in the wrong places.

Their new adjustable hosel only adjusts 1/2 a degree I believe. The engineering department won out over the marketing department for sure.  How significant is adding weight to the hosel as far as club performance, what are the potential negative effects?

If an engineer comes up with a good way to have the shaft spined/pured in an adjustable hosel I'll think they are getting somewhere. Until then I'll continue to think that adjustable hosels are a marketing joke, including the one that I have. (Yep. I fell for it too).

My R9 is fairly useless except on one setting (where the spine probably happens to be right, or at least close). Any other setting and the shaft feels like wrestling with a snake.

I noticed Ping kept its 3 wood length at 43 inches, but shaft length crept up on all other fairways. A 42 inch 7 wood - seriously?

I know this may be a case of "We need to keep up with TaylorMade" trend, but would not the typical golfer purchasing a G25 (forgiving) fairway perform consistently better with a shorter (forgiving) shaft length?

Or why not make a second set of fairways with heavier heads and 41 inch 7 woods, 42 inch 5 woods, etc with 55-65g shafts that older and/or mid cappers can hit with consistency?

Instead, to remain with a lighter shaft, some of who can afford it or have knowledge, must take that club to a custom clubmaker, have him put a little hot melt in the head, and/or put a slightly heavier shaft with a softer butt and tip, and shorten the shaft length to get a balanced, consistent club?

It is a PITA.

• Upvote 1

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

This is slightly more personal, less related to the things he does at PING, but some people might be interested in how, as an engineer, he got his start in the golf club design business?

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

I noticed Ping kept its 3 wood length at 43 inches, but shaft length crept up on all other fairways. A 42 inch 7 wood - seriously?

I know this may be a case of "We need to keep up with TaylorMade" trend, but would not the typical golfer purchasing a G25 (forgiving) fairway perform consistently better with a shorter (forgiving) shaft length?

Or why not make a second set of fairways with heavier heads and 41 inch 7 woods, 42 inch 5 woods, etc with 55-65g shafts that older and/or mid cappers can hit with consistency?

Instead, to remain with a lighter shaft, some of who can afford it or have knowledge, must take that club to a custom clubmaker, have him put a little hot melt in the head, and/or put a slightly heavier shaft with a softer butt and tip, and shorten the shaft length to get a balanced, consistent club?

It is a PITA.

I have purchased two sets of woods (3, 5 and driver) from TaylorMade (R9 and RBZ) and this year I am going to move away from TM and I am set to purchase the 3 and 5 woods G25. I have demo'd the G25 Driver and I don't like it so far.

Originally Posted by ay33660

I have purchased two sets of woods (3, 5 and driver) from TaylorMade (R9 and RBZ) and this year I am going to move away from TM and I am set to purchase the 3 and 5 woods G25. I have demo'd the G25 Driver and I don't like it so far.

I don't want to go off topic (as we are directing questions to our Ping engineer), but it's not about TM as much as the entire industry so concerned with marketing distance, that they make it more difficult to attain a consistently fine golf shot because of this factor - longer length shafts.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Originally Posted by jamo

This is slightly more personal, less related to the things he does at PING, but some people might be interested in how, as an engineer, he got his start in the golf club design business?

Yep, great question

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I would ask if Ping ever has plans to release true blades ? I'm sure they would be hot on tour and amongst those amateurs in those market segments.

Titleist 913D2 9.5 (UST VTS 65)

Titleist 913F 15 (Diamana S+)

Titleist 913H 19 (Diamana S+)

Titleist 714 AP2 (4-PW) (DG XP-95)

Titleist Vokey SM5 (52,56,58) (DG XP-95)

Ping Anser 2 Classic

I don't know what the question is here, but I would love to hear more about Pings disabled golfer customization program. I have heard stories about Pings sponsorship of the wounded warrior project and how it is using golf to help disabled people (veterans and otherwise) to find golf and use the game as a rehabilitation. Again, I don't know what the question is, but I would love to hear about some of the engineering that ping has done and obstacles they have to consider regarding that as well as the efforts that ping is doing to help people learn/relearn the game.

In my bag:

some golf clubs

a few golf balls

a bag of tee's some already broken the rest soon to be

a snickers wrapper (if you have seen me play, you would know you are not going anywhere for a while)

and an empty bottle of water

Ping, seems to be losing the marketing battle to TM especially with younger players (demographic for Ping gamer is 46 years old).  Where does Ping see the market going and how will it evolve as a company to attract younger players?

Joe Paradiso

I have a specific qregarding Pings I20 irons, the set appears to me to be user friendly to a broad spectrum of players with more forgiving long irons and more conventionally designed short irons. Am I correct in believing that these clubs suitable for players in the low to mid teen handicap range? I hope to give them a try this month. Thank you.

Note: This thread is 3952 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!