IGNORED

To play with a glove or without a glove that is the question?

Note: This thread is 3987 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Glove or No Glove?

• Glove
    • No Glove

When I first started playing golf some 12 years ago I did what everyone else seem to be doing and wore a glove. Like everyone I took the glove off to putt. After a while for some reason probably because I can be cheap bugger I stopped using a golf glove altogether. What is the advantage to wearing a glove? I assume it has something to do with a better grip of the club. I find with the good grips that the need for a glove is unnecessary. The only time I use gloves is in rain and winter golf then I use two gloves. Just curious if anyone feels differently.

I don't use a glove either.  When I used to use Golf Pride Tour Wraps (which when looked at funny became slick as ice) I always wore a glove.  When I switched to full cord grips I found I didn't need them any longer.  Even in the crazy humidity we get here in Southern Ontario in the summer it just wasn't required.  Nice to save that extra expense, the cost of gloves really adds up quick.

Brad

Glove for everything except chipping and putting.  Aways have, always will.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by David in FL

Glove for everything except chipping and putting.  Aways have, always will.

Same here, in the summer my hands get too sweaty to play without one, I usually go through 2-3 gloves a round.

Joe Paradiso

My hands sweat a lot also.  I would go though a lot of gloves that quickly look very nasty.

I bought gripmaster leather grips and don't need a glove unless it is cold.  The grip is actually sticky.  When it starts to lose its stickiness just wipe it down with a damp towel and dry and it is fine.  I am into my second season with the grips and none are anywhere near needing to be replaced.  They are expensive but I figure it is about a wash cost wise between the money I save on gloves and re-gripping.

No glove for me unless it's raining. I have the golf pride 2g wraps on my clubs and they do slick up in the rain a bit. Otherwise, even in high humidity, they're great. I have pretty dry hands though.

I don't need to wear them but it seems when everyone in my family knows you golf, then by god they better buy you some golf gloves for every damn holiday. So yah I wear them because I must have about 20 still in the packages......

I never used to use a glove but I started wearing one 1.5 yrs ago since I started playing a lot. Just recently I went back to no glove, and in comparison my hands seem to 'fit' together better, and I have better feel and maybe (could be imaninary) control, so bye-bye to the glove.

dak4n6

I played 3 years with glove, threw it away and has not missed it. I don't notice any difference on my game, so I figured I'd rather not wear one.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Just switched to the overlap and like how my hands fit together without the glove.  Also with my new pure grips it feels better without a glove.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Funny I should come across this thread today.  I'm about *this* close to becoming Brandon Two-Gloves Lewis.  I have this blister on my right index finger from going to the driving range 5 days a week that I can't really get to heal.  It's not so much a blister any more as just very hard, tough skin that is sorta painful when I hit balls.  I don't think I would last very long without gloves.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by newtogolf

Same here, in the summer my hands get too sweaty to play without one, I usually go through 2-3 gloves a round.

Wow..........2-3 gloves PER round? So besides dropping the greens fees, food, etc.....you're also dropping anywhere from $20-30?

If I were you, I'd check your grip and/or grip pressure. If it's either is off that might explain why you're burning through them. That or you need to buy a better glove (maybe .5 size bigger?).

That's insane.

IRT topic: I golfed for years without one but now that I live in Georgia it's too hot to go without; especially walking.

Originally Posted by Pablo68

Wow..........2-3 gloves PER round? So besides dropping the greens fees, food, etc.....you're also dropping anywhere from $20-30?

If I were you, I'd check your grip and/or grip pressure. If it's either is off that might explain why you're burning through them. That or you need to buy a better glove (maybe .5 size bigger?).

That's insane.

IRT topic: I golfed for years without one but now that I live in Georgia it's too hot to go without; especially walking.

I don't wear them out, just get them so sweaty that I have to swap them out.  Gloves last a while, just don't stay dry very long.

Joe Paradiso

I take mine off after each shot. I don't wear it when I chip or putt though. I don't know why I take it off after each shot I guess its kinda a habit from playing baseball.What do you recommend for a quality golve I always buy footjoys.

Originally Posted by newtogolf

I don't wear them out, just get them so sweaty that I have to swap them out.  Gloves last a while, just don't stay dry very long.

Some gloves are made from material that don't handle sweat well, either.  My Mizuno gloves I don't practice with because after you sweat in them and put them away, they will be stiff/cracked the next time you try to use them.  The nike gloves handle it a bit better and stay usable, so I use that to practice in during the summer months.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

No glove! btw I've added a poll

The first few years I started playing I didn't use a glove, then I switched, just felt better at the time.  Then for the past couple years I've gone back to no glove, again for the same feel reason.  I use Pure grips and for me it's the right amount of tackiness to ditch the glove.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

When I first started playing I always wore a glove . .seemed like the thing to do.  But I would not buy gloves often enough and found myself putting on granky old gloves because I didn't think to buy a new one before my round.  Then, at some point, I just stopped using a glove and haven't for at least 3 years.  I don't even wear a glove at the range - although I will occassionaly give myself a few blisters at the range.  When I was learning how to hit draws, I tore my hands up good, lol.

Note: This thread is 3987 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!