IGNORED

Scariest Tee Shot At Augusta?

Note: This thread is 3987 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

not counting the par threes, what do you think is the scariest or most intimidating tee shot at augusta?  number 18 out that chute?  number 10 where you need that draw?  number 7 is pretty narrow...idk...

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The chute on 18 for me, probably.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Having been fortunate to view all the holes this year (Wednesday practice round), I would say there are three that come to mind:

#11 - Seemingly very narrow landing area, left and right are both dead. And you have to hit it a mile to have an iron 2nd shot.

#13 - If you draw it too much, you're in the creek or trees. Don't draw it enough and your in the pine straw and/or trees.

#18 - It looks about 5 yards wide through the chute.

ANGC is, from all accounts I've heard, a course where you predominantly play the ball right-to-left. Many of the tee shots call for it...and then you get to 18 & have to hit a fade through that chute. I would imagine, for the pros, after hitting draws most of the day to stand on 18 tee which look as wide as a freakin' bowling alley & then have to fade it, has to be pretty damn intimidating.

Either #18 or #16.  From views on TV, #18 looks really tough with that long tree-lined starting point.  #16 from the camera angle at the back of the tee - a lot of water and a really sloped green that makes bailing to the right not such a good idea.  That being said, I like my odds of being able to make bogey on #16.  I might spend a long time on the tee at #18 rattling balls into the woods.

Brian Kuehn

Originally Posted by zipazoid

ANGC is, from all accounts I've heard, a course where you predominantly play the ball right-to-left. Many of the tee shots call for it...and then you get to 18 & have to hit a fade through that chute. I would imagine, for the pros, after hitting draws most of the day to stand on 18 tee which look as wide as a freakin' bowling alley & then have to fade it, has to be pretty damn intimidating.

This describes exactly why 18 would be the hardest for me .  I can't really hit a fade with my 3w and driver because I tend to just hit a push-fade aka slice.  And my draw would be bad news on that hole.  I could see a scenario where I would clip the first grouping of trees on the right side, get knocked straight down, and have 300+ yards to the green with a 2nd shot that still has to be aimed at the first fairway bunker.  Yikes!

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

If you haven't been there, you can't begin to imagine how narrow 18 is. Imagine a tree lined bowling alley.....! :~(

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Originally Posted by David in FL

If you haven't been there, you can't begin to imagine how narrow 18 is. Imagine a tree lined bowling alley.....!

I have not been there and was kind of inclined to go with 18 anyway ... so this confirms it! ;)  On the other hand ... if the trees are dense enough, perhaps they'll act like the bumpers you pull up for the kids on the bowling lane?  In which case, that would be a super easy drive! ;)

For the pro's I'd think 13. They need to hit that draw just right to be long enough to reach the green in 2. Otherwise you are in the woods or creek left or in the pine straw tight. 18 for them is probably not as much a risk. They rarely put a tee shot in the trees on that hole but the fairway bunkers are a major issue.

I would think it would be the first tee shot on the opening round. I mean it's the freaking Masters at Augusta National. Aside from that number 11 has to give some angst since the "Tiger Proofing" that lengthened it so much.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Originally Posted by MSchott

For the pro's I'd think 13. They need to hit that draw just right to be long enough to reach the green in 2. Otherwise you are in the woods or creek left or in the pine straw tight. 18 for them is probably not as much a risk. They rarely put a tee shot in the trees on that hole but the fairway bunkers are a major issue.

Some of them go over the trees.

Originally Posted by Harmonious

Just went through my pictures. Here's some of the above mentioned tee shots:

Thanks for posting these. I was going to say #18, but #11 looks more daunting.

Best Regards,
Ryan

In the :ogio: bag:
:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike: VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist: 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey: Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2
:leupold:
:true_linkswear: 

Can you play a draw off #11 tee?  It doesn't look like it from that pic.  It looks like you'd have to start it over the right tree-line, and then if it doesn't draw, you're in the woods.

Originally Posted by RPMPIRE

Thanks for posting these. I was going to say #18, but #11 looks more daunting.

Especially when, after hitting a perfect drive, you've got this approach shot:

Originally Posted by bplewis24

Can you play a draw off #11 tee?  It doesn't look like it from that pic.  It looks like you'd have to start it over the right tree-line, and then if it doesn't draw, you're in the woods.

No, the fairway bends a little left to right before it drops down to the green.

yeah, 11 looks sick...

why doesnt tiger just pull out the driver and hit a smooth little cut on 18?

Colin P.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by colin007

yeah, 11 looks sick...

why doesnt tiger just pull out the driver and hit a smooth little cut on 18?

Because he can hit an 8-iron after hitting a 3W, and a driver risks going into the fairway bunkers.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

Because he can hit an 8-iron after hitting a 3W, and a driver risks going into the fairway bunkers.

Yeah, that's my understanding of the conventional way of playing the hole for the pros; hit 3-wood & aim at the bunker - it's like 280 uphill to reach it. That way you don't have to work a driver around the corner.

Note: This thread is 3987 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!