IGNORED

can't hit my driver again

Note: This thread is 3154 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been golfing for about 6-7 yrs now. Had about a dozen lessons & have a nice iron swing and hit my fairway woods (5 & 7) good.

My driver I seem to be topping everything or coming outside to in & sweeping it left. Years ago I had my pro working with me and she said I'm not getting enough body rotation ( seems like they ALL say that when they can't fix it). She had me @ 1 point swinging (focusing) like a whole ball length behind the ball and it worked for awhile but annoys the crap out of me, I want to focus on the ball not looking 2" behind it @ a piece of grass. I was thinking of trying a 10 finger grip to get more sweep around and less wrist . I think i'm breaking my wrist too early or something. When I first started playing I was like most people, hit the driver ok but slicing. I hit 220-240. Does anybody have a similar experience or suggestion (other than seeing a pro) ?

Originally Posted by mattyboy

She had me @ 1 point swinging (focusing) like a whole ball length behind the ball and it worked for awhile but annoys the crap out of me

This works quite well for me, I can have the clubhead as far as 4 or 5 inches behind the ball at address. This helps me to keep my head behind the ball preventing pop ups.

It was recommended here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnopJFvTa3Q

It often helps for me to shorten the swing with the driver.  I find especially with the driver there is a tendency for my swing to get too long and my arms separated from my body.  When I keep everything compact and rotating together I get much better results.

Try swinging the driver so that it feels as if it's a half swing (9-3 o'clock).  It will feel ridiculously short at first but you will be surprised at the distance you'll get.  Once you get the feeling of solid in-sync swing you can try adding a little more rotation to get more distance.

I don't think you need to focus your attention on a spot behind the ball, but you can alter your setup so that slightly more weight is on your rear foot.  This will move the center of your swing slightly back, allowing you to take the same swing as with all your other clubs, but contact the ball slightly on the up.

Originally Posted by mattyboy

I've been golfing for about 6-7 yrs now. Had about a dozen lessons & have a nice iron swing and hit my fairway woods (5 & 7) good.

so why swing your driver differently?

Originally Posted by notsohard

so why swing your driver differently?

Do you really believe that your setup (address) and swing is the same with both irons and the driver? If so, this is a bigger problem than what the OP is having.

@Mattyboy, can you take a video of your swing and post it?

Originally Posted by Spyder

Do you really believe that your setup (address) and swing is the same with both irons and the driver? If so, this is a bigger problem than what the OP is having.

Setup is different, swing is the same.

ok, lets play, once you are in your driver "setup".........tell me, commencing from the grip, then the takeaway, then transition, then the downswing.....what would be different than hitting fairway woods or irons?

Originally Posted by notsohard

ok, lets play, once you are in your driver "setup".........tell me, commencing from the grip, then the takeaway, then transition, then the downswing.....what would be different than hitting fairway woods or irons?

...There's nothing to "play" with you, because you are wrong - period.

In regards to the OP, this should help you:

I don't swing differently, thats the problem. Longer flater swing w  driver. t's not the same. I will go to the range and try to shorten up my swing, play around. I'll post feed back , thanks.

Awesome Matty, I'm glad that you found the video helpful. Let me know how you get at it. I have several other videos I can reference for you as well.

One thing you should definitely look into is YouTube and look up "Mark Crossfield" or "4golfonline". His videos are extremely easy to follow and his instruction is explained in great detail.

...There's nothing to "play" with you, because you are wrong - period.

please enlighten me if im wrong....like i said, once your in your "driver setup"...and the vid you posted did mention this..(stance and ball position).....whats different?

please enlighten me if im wrong....like i said, once your in your "driver setup"...and the vid you posted did mention this..(stance and ball position).....whats different?

The most important factor of the entire swing, the arc. Jesus bro, keep thinking the swing is the same and your HC will forever be "??". I have no patience for the little game you're playing.

The most important factor of the entire swing, the arc. Jesus bro, keep thinking the swing is the same and your HC will forever be "??". I have no patience for the little game you're playing.

no kidding numbnuts...the arc...well i'll be, the longer the club the bigger the arc...sh!t, i fell on the ground knowing that......now lets get back to my question....."commencing from the grip, then the takeaway, then transition, then the downswing.....what would be different than hitting fairway woods or irons?"

• 2 years later...

Yes, always had this problem and at best it runs hot then cold, never reliable, certainly best when there's no consequences = 270-305yrds straight ahead but with consequences .. .well, just think the worst & how a short iron might have performed better.

The one driver that didn't require me to change my swing from the rest

and most akin to my Ping i3 3-wood/metal at the time "that I owned" and could make it long, short, work it right-left (the 3-wood) was a Ping Si3 whose head CC was in between that 3-wood and today's large head drivers.  Only this driver could consistently go farther than my 3-wood taking full swing.

Trouble was ... Si3 seems to be more a pro's club as it worked the ball right-left ALL the time, never minding what I wanted to do.  Too much a shotgun to keep at it, never could master it.  Guessing I had to power down on it so much to get it past teh 3-wood markers that I couldn't also keep the ball in the sweet spot = shotgun.

So pro lessons suggested bigger heads - larger sweet spots, perhaps the weight/feel = longer distance to boot.  Caveat was select the shaft wisely for it's not the head doing the work.  Tried over 20 drivers that season, keeping score on those flinging the ball farther than my 3-wood with ease .. as per "in the fairway" %.  Eventually a Ping demo came to a local driving range and G5 stock stiff selected and was king for awhile ... only topped by a buddy's same deal only added 1# length.  Still it was not a rifle and going nuts on it when distance was imperative was ...wrong, not the fun & payoff intended (many suggest no driver is meant to fulfill that wish).

Think I'm using a G25 stock reg. now and some days (like today) 100 balls might net dismal results like 7% hoorays, the rest so-so or trials/experiments that were UGH.  Days like this remind of the old 2-woods and that Si3 ... low handicapper that own a Strong-3-wood and a Weak3-wood.  Certainly today my G25 3-wood could everything the driver could do and more consistently.

Since I didn't see much wisdom on this post outside of the conservative textbook advice easily Googled, thought I'd stiff things up a bit and see if this experience draws out others similar that have solved this problem in less conventional ways.

I'll never drive the ball like the Nicklaus when they came to tow to demo their new golf course or Greg Norman but damn - I should have some club that feels like a 3-wood, a bit heavier head that gives 20-40 yards more and just as straight.  No, Ping techs never seem to help with odd ball Qs like this and others just use a driver or 3-wood and get on with life.  I believe there's something more and natural out there to use that doesn't require golf lessons/lectures but the bushel.

Still searching ... so reply IF you found some sort of a solution since your 2013 post.

• 4 months later...

I find myself coming back to this old thread once in a while. Seems to contain some good advice and I like that youtube video that is still up.

But the most nagging question is why one day I can hit the driver and the next day it's extremely difficult to hit solid. Does it ever become ingrained?

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

I find myself coming back to this old thread once in a while. Seems to contain some good advice and I like that youtube video that is still up. But the most nagging question is why one day I can hit the driver and the next day it's extremely difficult to hit solid. Does it ever become ingrained?

Sometimes you have trouble with the Driver because of a mental block occasionally... Mostly, if you can hit Driver one day, and not the next, if sounds like a confidence issue, I actually hit it more than I did before, right now its the best club in the bag for me... Just think "Mashed taters" when you hit the Driver... It'll help trust me...

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Sometimes you have trouble with the Driver because of a mental block occasionally... Mostly, if you can hit Driver one day, and not the next, if sounds like a confidence issue, I actually hit it more than I did before, right now its the best club in the bag for me...

Just think "Mashed taters" when you hit the Driver... It'll help trust me...

Thanks. But can you expand on that mental tip? How does thinking "Mashed taters" help with the driver?

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

Note: This thread is 3154 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!