IGNORED

Black TaylorMade R1 Driver

Note: This thread is 3928 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by MyrtleBeachGolf

Not only is that the photoshopped black and white shot of an actual R1, it could have been flipped horizontally as well. The info in this thread is better reporting than what the PGA tour equipment report put up.

While I agree that it does sort of look like a black and white photo ... if it was flipped, wouldn't it say "edamrolyaT" on it? ;)

Besides the authenticity of the photo wouldn't necessarily take away from the fact that it's apparently on the conforming list, which means it exists. ;)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea, trade it in for something else. Painting your club will change the swing weight as well. I'm guessing at a minimum...a few grams....

Driver      -  K15 10.5 w/ Ping TFC149D Shaft in stiff

4 Wood   -  Rapture V2 17.5* Aldila S-75

Hybrid    -   Super Hybrid SS 19* w/ Matrix Program

Irons      -   i20's 3-W, UW, SW & LW w/ KBS Tour Stiff +1/2" White Dot

Putter    -   White Ice #9 33"

Ball       -   B330-S & B330-RXS

D2 Feel

Bragging about a 200 yard 7 iron is not golf.

• 2 weeks later...

From TaylorMade's Facebook page. Holy crap these things are beautiful.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I saw the advertising blurb today. I think it looks really nice.

Michael

It's official.  So what happened to the Science of White? If white is "scientifically" better, why go back to black?  Because TaylorMade is losing market share and the R1 driver isn't selling that great.  To be fair TaylorMade did own 52% of the metalwood market last year, something that is impossible to sustain.  Another factor is that guys like Callaway, PING, Nike and Titleist have strong metalwood products this year.

The real good news for golfers?  Look for there to be price drops from other OEM's to try and undercut TaylorMade's R1 Black momentum.

TaylorMade will make a black version of its R1 driver available to golfers at select retailers starting June 10.

Rumors that TaylorMade might release a black version of its R1 driver began to swirl on the Internet after an image of one appeared on the USGA's Conforming Driver list on April 27. Black has been the traditional color of metalwoods, but every TaylorMade driver has had a white crown since the introduction of the TaylorMade R11 in 2011.

"We have been paying attention to the golfers out there, and they've been screaming for a black version, so we're going to go ahead and make it," says Tom Kroll, TaylorMade's global product marketing manager for woods.

Although the black version of the R1 driver that appeared on the Conforming Driver list was a left-handed prototype featuring a 400-cc head, the TaylorMade R1 Black that will be available to the public has a 460-cc head and is identical to the white version in every way except for the color. Even the geometric pattern that stands out against the white crown of the original R1 has been replicated, but the black-on-black coloring makes it difficult to see. The R1 Black will cost $399.

Click here to see a photo gallery of the new TaylorMade R1 Black.

"There is no [performance] difference," Kroll says. "One of the cool things that we want to tell you is that the original R1 had 168 options [of adjustability]. We just created the 169th."

The TaylorMade R1 and R1 Black give golfers the ability to change the club's loft from 8 degrees to 12 degrees. Each R1 also can be adjusted to have a draw or fade bias by moving the 2- and 10-gram weights. In addition, players can select from seven, face-angle positions at address by adjusting a dial on the sole. The stock shaft in both clubs is the Aldila RIP Phenom.

Kroll would not rule out the possibility that more black drivers could be on the way from TaylorMade.

"We are going to pay very close attention to how this product is received," Kroll says. "We are hearing loud and clear that there is a percentage of the golfers out there that are hungry for the very conservative design and look of a black driver. I wouldn't rule [more black drivers] out, but this is going to be a very interesting product launch."

TaylorMade began promoting the benefits of a matte white crown and black face with the release of the R11 driver, claiming that the contrast helped golfers improve their alignment and aim.

Kroll says that he's aware of several retailers who started pre-order lists for a black R1 based solely on the rumors about the club. The first R1 Black drivers will hit the PGA Tour next week in Memphis. Consumers, however, will have to wait another few weeks to get their hands on them.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Originally Posted by mvmac

It's official.  So what happened to the Science of White?  If white is "scientifically" better, why go back to black?  Because TaylorMade is losing market share and the R1 driver isn't selling that great.  To be fair TaylorMade did own 52% of the metalwood market last year, something that is impossible to sustain.  Another factor is that guys like Callaway, PING, Cobra and Titleist have strong metalwood products this year.

Don't forget Nike. For TM having a little over half the market share for metalwoods is an impressive feat and very difficult to sustain. What they did create was a benchmark of driver and 3 wood options, which other companies have reached and maybe exceeded after a while dating back to the R9 driver IMO.

Best Regards,
Ryan

In the :ogio: bag:
:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike: VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist: 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey: Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2
:leupold:
:true_linkswear: 

That thing on the bottom... is it for helping you get out of the woods if you get lost?

:whistle:

Originally Posted by mvmac

It's official.  So what happened to the Science of White?  If white is "scientifically" better, why go back to black?  Because TaylorMade is losing market share and the R1 driver isn't selling that great.

The science of white is valid. It's just that a lot of golfers don't care for science when it comes to the color of their driver. TM has not gone back to black exclusively - they are offering a white as well as a black driver.

It's about sales ... and as we know, that doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out. Although, someone could ask Dave Pelz...

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Very nice looking driver. I read today that this is a limited release, and once they run out thats it.

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

The science of white is valid.

I've yet to see any actual "science" behind it. Contrast can be good or bad.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

I've yet to see any actual "science" behind it. Contrast can be good or bad.

Admittedly, the phrase "science of white" seems/is a clever marketing term.

I'm sure TM has studies confirming the white.

But I think there is science/validity to contrasts. A white crown against a black face (aim); a white crown against green grass (more contrast and a larger "look"), as opposed to the contrast of a black crown against a black face, and a black crown against the grass (less contrast and smaller "look"). I remember (or think I do) a discussion a long time ago when we experienced the increase in driver head size about OEMs using a black crown because to the eye, black appeared to be a smaller, more appealing size to traditional and/or better golfers.

Apparently it is ... different strokes for different folks.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

Admittedly, the phrase "science of white" seems/is a clever marketing term.

I'm sure TM has studies confirming the white.

Then since you're completely unaware of any, please stop citing it. :P Given TM's history I doubt they've done any actual "science" to validate white drivers. They liked white because it stood out on the PGA Tour. That's their "science" (my hunch).

Or to put it more simply: "I'm sure they don't."

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

But I think there is science/validity to contrasts. A white crown against a black face (aim); a white crown against green grass (more contrast and a larger "look"), as opposed to the contrast of a black crown against a black face, and a black crown against the grass (less contrast and smaller "look"). I remember (or think I do) a discussion a long time ago when we experienced the increase in driver head size about OEMs using a black crown because to the eye, black appeared to be a smaller, more appealing size to traditional and/or better golfers.

Yes that's just made up stuff. I don't tee off against black grass, nor do you typically play a black golf ball, or have a driver face that has no alignment lines or other items of contrast.

I don't dislike white drivers. Played with one last year, am testing one again this year - I just don't like it when "science" is tossed about lightly, or when people fall for marketing claims. :)

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Then since you're completely unaware of any, please stop citing it. :P Given TM's history I doubt they've done any actual "science" to validate white drivers. They liked white because it stood out on the PGA Tour. That's their "science" (my hunch).

Or to put it more simply: "I'm sure they don't."

Yes that's just made up stuff. I don't tee off against black grass, nor do you typically play a black golf ball, or have a driver face that has no alignment lines or other items of contrast.

I don't dislike white drivers. Played with one last year, am testing one again this year - I just don't like it when "science" is tossed about lightly, or when people fall for marketing claims. :)

I think originally it was science. There is a whole thing about eye perception, and colors. Its very much similar to clothing and color schemes. Dark colors are more slimming. Warm colors are not. Don't wear horizontal stripes if your overweight, things like that. So, white makes sense that it does make the clubhead look bigger. The problem is it makes the clubhead look bigger :p. How much bigger, no clue.

But as with everything else, it does stand out on TV, i think that is a big key to the majority of the success, not sure if it was planned or not, but it took off. Kudos to TM.

Yea i probably think it was a mix, maybe they needed some sort of reason behind the driver being white, incase it flopped, but its a pretty sound concept in terms of color schemes. If its any significance to golf, who knows.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator
Originally Posted by saevel25

I think originally it was science. There is a whole thing about eye perception, and colors. Its very much similar to clothing and color schemes. Dark colors are more slimming. Warm colors are not. Don't wear horizontal stripes if your overweight, things like that. So, white makes sense that it does make the clubhead look bigger. The problem is it makes the clubhead look bigger :p. How much bigger, no clue.

I don't doubt that TaylorMade found some obscure study somewhere that talked about contrast and used that to say "scientifically proven!"

But to call it actual science they'd have to demonstrate that the color alone makes their drivers easier to line up - and that golfers have problems lining up existing drivers as it is. They did not do that, of that I am fairly certain.

Citing some study that didn't apply at all to golf is irrelevant. For all we know the contrast between the white golf ball and a black clubhead makes it easiest to align.

Originally Posted by jshots

That thing on the bottom... is it for helping you get out of the woods if you get lost?

nope, you unscrew it and sip your whiskey out of there....save carrying the hip flask...gotta give it to those engineers who dont know shite about golf club design.

nope, you unscrew it and sip your whiskey out of there....save carrying the hip flask...gotta give it to those engineers who dont know shite about golf club design.

Or it could be that club you "discretely" urinate into.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I don't doubt that TaylorMade found some obscure study somewhere that talked about contrast and used that to say "scientifically proven!"

But to call it actual science they'd have to demonstrate that the color alone makes their drivers easier to line up - and that golfers have problems lining up existing drivers as it is. They did not do that, of that I am fairly certain.

Citing some study that didn't apply at all to golf is irrelevant. For all we know the contrast between the white golf ball and a black clubhead makes it easiest to align.

From what I've heard from TMAG the "science" is that the white driver appears larger, so the golfer feels more confident over the ball, resulting in better shots.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I can't stand white drivers. Looks like TM is trying to copy Titleist.

Thats why I like my Titleist drivers, you'll NEVER EVER EVER see a white Titleist driver!

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

Note: This thread is 3928 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!