IGNORED

Unfriendly staff. Do you deal with this?

Danielocean
Note: This thread is 4007 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I live in Washington state and I have to say that of all the golf courses I have played in the last 10 years, I have yet to receive outstanding customer service. I would love to hear if any of you have experienced these kind of situations and left feeling like something was lacking in your golf experience.

My biggest gripe is always the golf shop clerk. It seems golf shop clerks always treat you like it is a burden for them to set you up with a tee time, or any other kind of transaction you would need while you are there at the course. What would blow me away is someone treating me like I was entering there own home and making me feel welcomed, valued, and appreciated that I chose there golf course to enjoy my afternoon on today. I am strongly considering changing courses now to get a breath of fresh air and see if I can get a more professional experience. The golf course primarily in reference is Snohomish public golf course.

I've experienced it. Mostly in public our county courses or military courses where employees were guaranteed jobs whether they were friendly or not.

They knew golfers would play their courses whether they showed any sort of customer service or not.

If you've been wronged, a short, succinct email to the course's supervisor might get their attention in the future.

Find out the course manager's name and speak with him/her or write them a letter/email.  If there is one employee in particular that does not provide good service, identify that employee by name and give specific instances of when and how their service level was unacceptable.  Be courteous in your tone and only deal in specific facts.  Management needs feedback in order to make the experience better for you and everyone else.  Generally when I have a problem with service, I try to make the right people aware of the issue.  Most often they are appreciative of the effort and do their best to fix the problem.  Places that don't make an effort lose me and probably many others as customers.

Also, when someone provides consistent top notch service, let management know about that, too.

Brian Kuehn

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Actually a simple email does seem appropriate. Perhaps I am just getting old and grumpy but I have grown some pet peaves over the years and I now hate it when people do not introduce themselves properly, shake hands properly, say thank you properly. Honestly how hard is it to simply put a smile on your face and treat a person with kindness.

It's definitely a problem here. I played my home course more than 80 times in less than a year. Only one clerk knows my name and greets me when I come in. The others, every time I'm there is like the first time. I'd complain but the manager is the head pro and he's the worst of the lot. I don't get it. I'm nice to them and I spend shit loads of money there, a bunch on clothes, range tokens $50 a crack. A few weeks ago there's a new guy behind the counter so I introduce myself and mention I am there all the time. Next day it was like it didn't happen. I get that some of them are part-timers working for free golf but damn it gets annoying.

Dave :-)

Originally Posted by Dave2512

It's definitely a problem here. I played my home course more than 80 times in less than a year. Only one clerk knows my name and greets me when I come in. The others, every time I'm there is like the first time. I'd complain but the manager is the head pro and he's the worst of the lot. I don't get it. I'm nice to them and I spend shit loads of money there, a bunch on clothes, range tokens $50 a crack. A few weeks ago there's a new guy behind the counter so I introduce myself and mention I am there all the time. Next day it was like it didn't happen. I get that some of them are part-timers working for free golf but damn it gets annoying.

On the other hand, it could be customers treat them poorly over time and they've developed this "can't please 'em all, screw 'em" mentality and don't show the right customer service. I see customers whine of the smallest things in many of the sports facilities I play at (mostly golf and tennis).

I've found the same thing as the OP. Very rarely does a course employee (especially the pro shop clerk) seem anything more than apathetic about my paying $50 to walk around his grassy field. I'm not expecting bells and whistles, but buck up, buddy.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by Rick Martin

On the other hand, it could be customers treat them poorly over time and they've developed this "can't please 'em all, screw 'em" mentality and don't show the right customer service. I see customers whine of the smallest things in many of the sports facilities I play at (mostly golf and tennis).

I have considered this possibility as well. I would say that it is actually extremely possible. I have known ALOT of golfers to be very snobish, and just plain jerks. I think a lot of golfers probably think that is how they are supposed to act almost like they are playing on a country club, and paying 10,000 a year for membership, but there reality is that they are on a public municipal course.

Originally Posted by Danielocean

This is exactly what I go through. Unfortunately the one of the person's that I am displeased with is indeed the manager there.

Same here--problem with the manager.  One day, I noticed that someone had gouged out a piece of the grass around

the edge of the cup with the end of the flag pole.  Being the last one one the course, I reported it to the manager to

give him a heads up to prepare for the next day.  He said, "You didn't have to tell me that."

Second case was when I saw a guy drive his cart so that the front wheels were on the green.  I took a picture and

reported it to the manager, who was working on something at the register.  He didn't look up or say anything, which

I guess is equivalent to saying "You didn't have to tell me that."

I know his boss but haven't said a word about this yet.

I started playing golf 9 years ago at age 52.  I have held season passes at 3 different courses.  One owned by a University but managed privately, one operated by a Park District and one privately owned.  I have always received excellent service.  I must be lucky.

Loyalty above all else, except honor.

I have played about 95 of the 100+ golf courses here in the MB area. I can say I have had a pleasant experience with the pro-shop staff in a vast majority of the cases. There are always a few exceptions, but overall, the staffs around here are usually great.

Originally Posted by jamo

I've found the same thing as the OP. Very rarely does a course employee (especially the pro shop clerk) seem anything more than apathetic about my paying $50 to walk around his grassy field.

I'm not expecting bells and whistles, but buck up, buddy.

I agree with the sentiment.  There are several courses around here (the more resort-ish type) with generally good customer service, but plenty like the above mentioned as well.  However, the transaction takes all of, what, 3 minutes plus whatever time is spent waiting in line for others?  I won't see that person again after that so I'm good.

I "deal with it" by making some kind of crack to my friends after we walk out of there.  "Wow, that person woke up on the wrong side of the bed today" or the like.  Then, who gives a s**t after that ... we're about to be playin' some golf!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

I agree with the sentiment.  There are several courses around here (the more resort-ish type) with generally good customer service, but plenty like the above mentioned as well.  However, the transaction takes all of, what, 3 minutes plus whatever time is spent waiting in line for others?  I won't see that person again after that so I'm good.

I "deal with it" by making some kind of crack to my friends after we walk out of there.  "Wow, that person woke up on the wrong side of the bed today" or the like.  Then, who gives a s**t after that ... we're about to be playin' some golf!!!!!!!!!!!

That is a great attitude to have. Honestly I think I will just start calling them out on it right then and there. I will make it funny.

Originally Posted by Danielocean

That is a great attitude to have. Honestly I think I will just start calling them out on it right then and there. I will make it funny.

I have found that a firm bitchslap across the kisser does wonders to improve attitudes.

In my bag: - Ping G20 driver, 10.5 deg. S flex - Ping G20 3W, 15 deg., S flex - Nickent 4dx 3H, 4H - Nike Slingshot 4-PW - Adams Tom Watson 52 deg. GW - Vokey 58 deg. SW -Ping Half Wack-E putter

Originally Posted by Wisguy

I have found that a firm bitchslap across the kisser does wonders to improve attitudes.

And then you just stare them down while they are half shocked and half cowering and say "Are you gonna do something?  Or just stand there and bleed?"

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

And then you just stare them down while they are half shocked and half cowering and say "Are you gonna do something?  Or just stand there and bleed?"

Precisely so.

In my bag: - Ping G20 driver, 10.5 deg. S flex - Ping G20 3W, 15 deg., S flex - Nickent 4dx 3H, 4H - Nike Slingshot 4-PW - Adams Tom Watson 52 deg. GW - Vokey 58 deg. SW -Ping Half Wack-E putter

Note: This thread is 4007 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!