IGNORED

What do you think of Mark Crossfield?

ZachIsLegend
Note: This thread is 2938 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I like his videos when he finally gets to the point. He spends way too much time talking at the start, but then so do most people who make videos (see Brian Manzella). Say it once, demonstrate it once, The End. We can always watch the video again if we missed something.

I like him, in the main!

Not too fussed about club reviews etc as I think unless you're being fitted, or have them in your hands, you really can't ascertain too much use from them.  He doesn't appear too biased to me, as some have suggested, and seeing the data gives you a bit of an idea I suppose.  Better than the usual magazine reviews, mind.

I do like his vlogs though.  Some very good play at times and some  . . . well . . . but at least they are honest and you get a sense that they are usually having a good laugh out there.  Far too many golfers I know/play with take it soooooooo seriously and are usually fed up after 3 holes!  I think the 'bants' is hammed up a bit for the filming - I doubt he would be as irksome, shall we say, in a proper comp.

I've been watching him for about a year now and you can see he has 'grown into' the persona; but fair play to him for finding and exploiting the niche.  It's free viewing and good entertainment for people that play/watch golf imo.

I also like his explanations - the draw/fade lesson was very helpful and when I watched that it really clicked for me.  He explains things simply and effectively.  A little heavy on the stats but I've never used a GC2 etc but i'd reckon a teaching pro would find a valid use for them; he does do his best to show you why they are relevant.

I am a northener by birth and find myself in the SW currently - which is where I have learned to play this amazing game!  So would love to see a Shiels/Finch v Lockey or Buzza/Crossfield match.  Think i'd be a bit torn!!

If you ever read this Mark, come on lad, make it happen  - Shiels is chomping at the bit ;)

• 4 months later...

Haven't watched his instructional stuff at all.

Been too bust giggling my arse off at his rounds and the banter.

Quality.

On 5 July 2015 at 20:29:45, John Molden said:

He looks and sounds like Timmy Mallett cc6fcf20_timmy-1980-front5.jpeg

So it's not just me thinks that then....

I think Crossfield is great.  Very refreshing to see some guys having fun and a laugh on the course.  I do find it interesting that there is nothing like this (or at least this popular) from here in the U.S.  Watching his vlogs has started to change my on course attitude a bit, typically hot headed but starting to take it a little less seriously.  I also like how they talk through what they want to do with their shots.  Just shows that at the course you need to "play golf" and not "golf swing."

• 4 months later...

I really enjoy Mark's videos, his instructional videos are informative, his review videos can tend to drag on a bit, but also very informative and helpful...

His course vlogs are downright hilarious, the banter between him and Coach Lockey especially... Crossfield calls his 23° hybrid, "Rinkydinks" (Sp?), and Lockey's 21° Apex UT, "Lumpy". The "Cup My Face" in regards to Lockey's XR Pro irons, is stuff of legends.

The best course vlog is the Honiton Match Play where they put in several hashtags like #LockeyOut and #NothingMatters.

The stuff he and Lockey do with Rory from yourgolftravel is amusing. Rory's "Thin Bullet" shots are amusing. 

The part I like the most, is he and Lockey laugh and have a good time. 

• Upvote 1

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 1.5.2013 at 4:19 AM, GaijinGolfer said:

IMO, his club reviews could be better (theyre not very scientific, IMO) but his lessons are pretty good, IMO.  Id say he's one of the better Youtube golf pros.

Theres some of his videos that Im not at all impressed with though.  He did a series of videos on shaft flex where he basically said that shaft flex doesnt matter (hit a series of shots with a PX 7.0 shaft and then with a Mizuno Orochi L-flex shaft and got similar numbers with them) that Im skeptical of.

I know this is off-topic, but this is an interesting point. A UK golf magazine published a robotest report a couple of years ago which contradicted everything I had ever heard about shaft flex: in short, at high clubhaed speeds, the test showed closer and straighter grouping with softer flex shafts (right down to lady's flex), than with stiff shafts. Also, distance was greater. I showed the study to our club pro and he didn't understand it either. I can relate to the distance: I used to use a regular shaft on my driver and sometimes drove the ball around 300 yeards, but my aim was very unpredictable. I have since gone to an X-flex shaft, which loses me 30-40 yaads on distance, but keeps the ball a lot straighter.

With so much golf information out there he uses pretty standard data and informs the viewer A+ there. I like him better than Rick Shiels because he is less cocky, but no less snootty being he is British.

Edited by Mike Boatright

• Administrator
On April 2, 2016 at 6:54 AM, Mike Boatright said:

I like him better than Rick Shiels because he is less cocky, but no less snootty being he is British.

Well that's an opinion worth considering… :doh:

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 2938 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!