IGNORED

Little help here please!!

Note: This thread is 4002 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey guys I'm new to golf, I been hitting everyday at the range for the past 2 weeks now. I had one lesson and it went great, after that I been practicing everything he told me I was doing wrong. But I just can't seem to do anything right I hit about 30 balls and out of those 30, 3 of them are nice perfect swings with the ball going straight. The rest are just complete shanks. Not sure what to do how long did it take for you guys to fell good and confident in your swing

Not really sure what your saying, what club are you hitting? Shank? Or do you mean slice. Guess im saying you need to elaborate a lot more to really give you any reasonable advice .

Go easy on yourself. Next time you go to the range just hit a 7 or 8 iron into a certain target. If you are talking about hitting a driver remember that your driver is not a seven iron and requires a different address and swing than most of your irons or even hybrids. Figure out which of your clubs are easiest for you to hit acceptably well and use them more frequently than the others when on the course but then practice the worst ones at the range. For now though build up your stronger areas would be my advice.

Golf is the most difficult sport I've ever tried to learn. It took me months to improve to the level of a bad. I can't make suggestions on how you can get better, but I can suggest for you to be patient with your progress. If you're hitting 3 out of 30 that are good, you have the ability to hit a quality shot - maybe build on that. Some folks improve quickly. For the rest of us, it takes a long time.

Good luck and don't give up.

Jon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks guys, it's difficult I must say coming from hockey thought it was gonna be a breeze boy was I wrong. Here's a little video from my first lesson. I hit my 7 iron well, using in video.http://vimeo.com/65261058 I will keeping practicing

You have a good foundation. Work on a consistent tempo i.e. a bit slower backswing. I once played the entire back nine with nothing but a seven iron and did better than I did on the front with my whole bag. Respect and believe in the 7i.

Slow your tempo, work on your weight transfer and maybe strengthen your grip a little. It looks like your club face is open. Are you sure you aren't hitting a "Push fade?"

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

That is exactly what my instructor said, I use to not use my hips at all with the downswing. I tried to focus on putting weight on my right foot letting my hips bring the club down. I'm not really sure what a push fade is... Care to explain?

Weight needs to be on left side. Push fade or push slice= ball starts right and curves right.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Push fade, as Valleygolfer stated, start right of target and moves even more right.  Your path looks in-to-out, which can create a push fade if the face is open to the path, but it can also do a nice push draw.  You may just need to adjust your grip to help the club face close a bit faster so it is slightly closed to the path at impact.  I have had this issue.  I try to think about the back of my left hand facing the target at impact while keeping all of the other keys the same.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Originally Posted by thanw

You have a good foundation. Work on a consistent tempo i.e. a bit slower backswing. I once played the entire back nine with nothing but a seven iron and did better than I did on the front with my whole bag. Respect and believe in the 7i.

Sounds like a Tin Cup moment to me. haha! Love that movie

Welcome to the hardest game in the world. First, one lesson is a good start. I know they do not come free but I personally think lessons are something I will be getting for the rest of my 'golfing life.' The big pros all work with a coach. It's okay. I know it is frustrating hitting maybe 1 in 10 decent shots. But if you keep at it soon it will be 2 in 10, then 3 and 4. You will likely never get too close to 10 in 10 because your standards will go up as your average does. Have fun at it.

Driver: Titleist 913 D2 10.5*, Aldila RIP Phenom 50

Fairway 1: Titleist 913F, 17*, Titleist Bassara W55

Fairway 2: Titleist 913F, 21*, Titleist Bassara W55

Irons: Titleist AP1 714 5-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95

Wedges: SCOR 4161 48/52/56/60, Genius 9

Grips: GolfPride New Decade Red Mid-size on all of the above.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Super Stroke Slim 3.0

Thanks for all the tips guys much appreciated, I went out and played 9 today. I had a few great iron shots. One was perfect straight, then the rest started off target and faded to the right well struck balls. Just keep practicing

Note: This thread is 4002 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!