IGNORED

What Do You Do When Your Playing Bad Golf?

golf55
Note: This thread is 3388 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by golf55

Just started round and you make tripple boogy, double, tripple, boogy. You feel tired and not having any fun. Do you quit or finish round no matter how crappy you feel?

If I quit on a hole, I would never get to play. Nope, blowup holes are a part of life for me. The only thing I really hate is the feeling of mishitting a ball.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Hardballs

Lol, of course i said that in jest! But it was based on a guy I played once,(a friend of a friend) who was in serious need of anger management, not course management!

After sculling a shot over a bunker and landing past the green, he proceeded to bash his club in the sand, 3 times in a row, like a pick axe!

Then threw his club back at his bag, then marched straight over to his stand bag and kicked it! Lifting the bag 2 foot off the floor and 6 foot through the air!!!

I didn't know where to look! It was only the 4th hole, but I remember thinking he wouldn't have any clubs left by the end of the round!

In that case, just a suggestion.  You might check out the available emoticons (smilies) to ease the impact of such story.  We can't read facial expressions or inflection in a written comment, so the emoticons are there to help to bridge the gap between the words themselves and the intent of the writer.  It helps to reduce confusion.  There have been times when some truly unfortunate disputes have begun from a post like your's above.

Originally Posted by Dave2512

At this level all the golf I play is bad. The desire to improve is what keeps me coming back.

So.... does that mean that when you max out your potential, you give up the game?

There are many thousands of players who would kill to play to a 12 handicap.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

• 1 year later...

Have a temper tantrum and move onto the next hole.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

The real question is what would I do if suddenly I started playing GOOD golf.  We will probably never know.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

I don't know. It just depends on what the problem is.. I never go golfing if I am feeling tired before I want to go. A lot of times I start prepping the day before I go play. This is especially true in the warmer months. I have all kinds of ways righting a poor round. Most of the time It's looking at my own three swing keys which are also my basic fundamentals.

Maybe I just need to slow my over eager swing down just a little. Relax a little. After all I am just playing golf.

I remember one time my PW was giving me fits.  My PW is the club I really rely on just about every round. Anyway, when the problem showed up,  I played 6 straight holes using nothing but my PW. Never could figure out the things I was doing wrong, but after 6 holes, I was back on track again.

One thing is certain. I never get mad. I can smile at myself for any poor shot I hit. Also, I never give up, and most of all, I always remember I am not the worst golfer on the course that day. :dance:

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

You don't ever quit unless theres just something else you have to go do.You keep on playing because you are always learning every time you hit that ball.Earlier this year in tournament I was up to 8 over after 5 holes  but went even par last 13 holes to shoot an 80 and finish 4th.

Just recently I shot a 27 for the first 4 holes at Conklin Players Club, where I had 2 snowmans in those 4 holes and I was just NOT interested in playing anymore.  So uh yea, holes 5-18?  I shot +8 lol.  Finishing with something in the 90's.  Forgettable round, but shooting 8 over on holes 5-18 was nice.  If only I could have shot 4 over for the first 4 holes.  My best round this year is 18 over par.

I played CPC for the first time this year - fantastic course ... was in really good shape in early September.     Had one of my best rounds of the year - well worth the drive for me...

PS - when things start to go bad ... I slow down my tempo and take one club longer & use slightly less backswing  - focusing on clean contact only

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

If there's no beverage cart on the course I go back to the club house grab a jack and coke. That aiming fluid usually corrects any swing flaws I have.

The other thing I do is take out a cigarette (I carry an empty aluminum can for the butts). Nicotine can calm things down if not mixed with caffeine, and since I usually don't smoke it does, and I it helps me regain focus. I'll do this if I do the double - triple thing. What happens is that I probably slow my tempo and play better, because I usually will have a couple of pars or a bogey-par, and my mood will pick up. Not advocating smoking, but that's what I do.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

When I play badly I:

1) Swear. Loudly if alone, under my breath otherwise

2) Smoke more

3) Leave my long irons in the bag

4) Drink beer (or more beer)

If it gets worse:

5) Throw scorecard away (not keeping handicap yet)

6) Play as fast as humanly possible.

I keep playing. What you described is my normal round. Triple, double, double, bogey, par, double, triple...

I don't play golf, I play at it. I'm not good but I still like it.

Chris

I don't play golf, I play at golf. There's a difference.

TM RBZ driver, RBZ Stage 2 Tour 3 wood, RBZ 7 wood, TM Burner 2.0 4-AW, Cleveland CG16 Black Pearl 56* sand wedge, Yes! Golf Valerie putter, Snake Eyes golf balls, TM stand bag

The only thing I really hate is the feeling of mishitting a ball.

The only thing I hate is mishitting a ball. If I hit it really well, I don't really care where it lands. If I hit it badly with an unintentionally good result, it still feels bad. Oh well, golf goes on. . .:-D

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• 1 month later...

The only thing I hate is mishitting a ball. If I hit it really well, I don't really care where it lands. If I hit it badly with an unintentionally good result, it still feels bad. Oh well, golf goes on. . .

I still care a little bit about where it lands if I hit it well.. because if it doesn't go in the area I am aiming or somewhat near it then I can't even take pleasure in thinking that I hit it well..

If I hit it bad then just like you I don't care where it goes, unless it is a hole in one and then I would be happy no matter what.

If things are going badly I just shrug it off as I know someday things will click and I will enjoy golf a lot more than just the brisk walk in the morning or afternoon!

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

If i start of bad or I am playing bad I just adjust my aims for the round. I play alot of stableford games in casual rounds. So if I get 1/3 through round and i am like +5/6 I just try. I just aim for 28-30 points and try not to play so bad for rest of round.

I always finish, have never quit no matter how bad I've played or started.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Note: This thread is 3388 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!