IGNORED

Big Break Mexico

LeviTee
Note: This thread is 3897 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by tuffluck

IMO Brent sucked on purpose two rounds in a row to get his two teammates kicked off.  I feel 99% confident that is true at least with Brian, who was bringing that team down significantly.  Brent knew if they lost the immunity challenge, Brian would be the chosen player to go head-to-head, and likely lose and be kicked off.  He was spot on.  He then probably saw Stephanie (I think was his other teammate) as a weak link, and there was probably a 50% chance at that point he figured they would pick her head-to-head as well.  Then it would be only him and he would feel more confident alone than with iffy teammates moving forward.

I think the actual competition lasts maybe 1-2 weeks.  Every show the players hint at "we'll see what happens tomorrow," but the show isn't aired for another week.  I hear that clue on every show, so I have a feeling they weren't in Mexico for more than 15 days, grinding it out every day until it was over.

I think Stephanie was one of the best players on the show, let alone the best female.  Lebelie and Taylor have played very well lately, but I still think Stephanie is the best female.  I'd put the chances of him tanking it at more like 5%.  He's just a bit overrated due to his strong performance in one of the challenges.  He established a reputation he wasn't going to be able to live up to.  I fully expected him to struggle in a few of the challenges he did.  He's still just a human golfer.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by bplewis24

I think Stephanie was one of the best players on the show, let alone the best female.  Lebelie and Taylor have played very well lately, but I still think Stephanie is the best female.  I'd put the chances of him tanking it at more like 5%.  He's just a bit overrated due to his strong performance in one of the challenges.  He established a reputation he wasn't going to be able to live up to.  I fully expected him to struggle in a few of the challenges he did.  He's still just a human golfer.

Elimination challenge: Birdie, birdie, birdie, birdie...

That's living up to it pretty well...

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Tuffluck, if you do a search of the site you can find a thread if a q&a; with Liam from greenbrier after he got eliminated. He answers a lot of those behind the scenes questions. Iirc, the days equal episodes. If there are 12 contestants to start, then yeah, pretty sure the whole thing is less than 12 days.

Ps ... I realllly like lebelie!

Originally Posted by iacas

I think it's pretty well known that the competition lasts about 7-10 days, yes.

Oh cool, I never saw info stating that, but I haven't really researched it either.  Just assumed that was probably the case.

Maybe 5%, but sucking to get rid of Brian still at 99%.  He was really bringing their game down.  I disagree about him not living up to his rep, he did birdie every hole in his head-to-head as mentioned.  You can't do much better than that.

Originally Posted by Slice of Life

Elimination challenge: Birdie, birdie, birdie, birdie...

That's living up to it pretty well...

How'd he do the two episodes prior?  And if 3 of the holes weren't reachable par 5s (from another fairway, no less), that would be more impressive*.  And I guarantee he doesn't birdie one of the holes next week .

The point is that nobody hit a great shot every time.  So when he plays poorly, he's not tanking it purposely.

*In full disclosure, even before they started the challenge I had been remarking (to myself) about how easy the course is setup.  Not only does it look like a ridiculously unchallenging resort course with virtually no rough to speak of, but a lot of the pin placements are smack dab in the middle of the green.  Did you notice that they started on a 117/133 yard par 3 with a middle pin location?  Why so easy?

The reason why I've been thinking about this lately is because a few episodes ago I was thinking about how this is the best golfing I've ever seen on Big Break.  I think part of it is due to the players being better, but also they are setting it up way too easy.

I think part of it is due to the players being better, but also they are setting it up way too easy.

Perhaps the producers were hearing the complaints about Merion.  Then overdid it a bit/lot

--it does look set up pretty easy--  (but I'm not there.   But the advertising is working, it looks like a fun vacation)

Bill - 

How'd he do the two episodes prior?  And if 3 of the holes weren't reachable par 5s (from another fairway, no less), that would be more impressive*.  And I guarantee he doesn't birdie one of the holes next week .

I can't speak specifically about the two episodes prior because it is all from memory, but I do remember earlier in the series a challenge of some sort that was more golf based where he hit 2 or 3 birdies in a row.  So of the 6-7 holes I can remember him playing golf against someone - all birdies.  Even with an easy setup and some 500+ yard par 5's, that is pretty good.  Maybe I just remember the good ones.

It does look like he won't birdie one next week - but maybe L won't either.  I do wish they would play a different hole.  Make it a little more interesting.

And once again, taking nothing away from L - par, eagle, birdie, birdie.

I don't expect anybody to agree with me on this (for several reasons) but I would like the show better if players that had already been on any Tour were excluded. Sure the level of the competition might go down because it might be hard to find enough guys that are working in a factory somewhere with enough talent that could use a "Big Break". To me someone that has already been there and didn't take advantage of it has already had their big break. I'm not saying they can't or won't take advantage of another one though.

I agree 100%. I would even go as far as contestants couldn't have played college golf.

What a really fine episode this time.  Though it is the Brent (8 birdies in a row in elimination) show.  Nice scramble again LeLe from that crappy lie on the first drive.

Back to reality, Chad is out.  It only took 3 pars and a birdie.

Matt is just coasting in the immunities.

Down to the 3 guys I thought should be left, and I think Taylor has better game than we thought too for that matter.  So a good crowd at the end.

Bill - 

Couldn't watch last night. Got home late and my DVR stopped working.

Fortunately they'll replay it 11 times a day until next week.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Chad wasn't getting on my nerves until last night, and wow he looked like a super a-hole.  So much so that you wonder if the video editors took some of his comments and put them in the show in bits and pieces to make it look really pompous.  He has been so goofy/sarcastic most of the show I wonder if a lot of the crap talk he had last night was really meant in a lighter way and they just edited it out to look differently?  Nevertheless, whatever.  He isn't the best golfer on the show.

It's kind of interesting how Brent can't play well through immunity challenges, almost like he's doing it on purpose.  Why anyone would do that, I don't know, but his golf game is significantly different when it comes to playing time (though he needs to work on that hook or push miss with his drive).

Wonder how Jay is going to play in elimination challenge...it will probably come down to he and Brent.

Doesn't Brent win extra $$ in the elimination rounds?

Driver:Adams 9064LS 9.5 *stiff

3 Wood: Nike VRs

Hybrid: Adams A7 19*

Irons: Nike VRs Pro Cavity 4-AW

Wedges: Nike VR Pro 56'

Putter: Nike Method mc3i1

Ball: Wilson Staff Duo

Bag: Ogio Assassin

Originally Posted by School Yard Pro

Doesn't Brent win extra $$ in the elimination rounds?

Yeah, I thought of that.  It's been $5k per round...maybe he figures he is good enough to win all of the elimination challenges, or at least he would rather have the money he can make and take his chances on whatever tour he can get on after the show, without the help of BB...

My girlfriend said the same thing. She says brent is trying shots under pressure and if he misses he knows he can win the elimination challanges. I say he would reather have the money. Actually at the Greenbriar I think brent was the caddie for stanley or someone who finished in the top 10. I say he is wanting to win but chasing the money on the show.

Driver: :tmade: R11S (9 degree)
Woods: :tmade: R11 3 (15.5 degree) & 5 (19 degree)
Irons: :tmade: R11 4-AW
Wedges: :tmade: ATV 54 & 60 degree
Putter: :scotty_cameron: 2012 Newport 2
Ball: :titleist: ProV1
Rangefinder: :bushnell: Tour V2

Originally Posted by grubby98

My girlfriend said the same thing. She says brent is trying shots under pressure and if he misses he knows he can win the elimination challanges. I say he would reather have the money. Actually at the Greenbriar I think brent was the caddie for stanley or someone who finished in the top 10. I say he is wanting to win but chasing the money on the show.

Oh wow, just google'd it and he was Scott Stallings caddy for the St. jude...that's interesting.

Completely disagree with this entire line of logic.  What shot was he trying under pressure when he missed both fairways and a green to start off the immunity challenge this show?  An iron to a sloping fairway?  You all are ignoring a few things:

1) Him and the other guy talk constantly about trying to gain immunity so that they can send a member from Team Maya into the elimination.

2) The immunity challenges are typically harder than a hole of stroke play because you don't have an opportunity to recover from a poor shot, depending on format.

3) The immunity challenges this particular show were essentially stroke play up until the green.

4) In the elimination challenge, he played about the same as he did in the immunity challenge.

Nevertheless, you can keep thinking he's unbeatable and only playing poorly to win more money if you wish.

Not to overlook Taylor or the bearded one, but I have a feeling it's gonna come down to Brent and the other tall guy from Team Maya who has basically coasted through every show due to his team being better than everybody else's.  Brent has been through the fire and we know his mettle, whereas the other guy hasn't.  He may be just as good, but we'll see whether constantly being under fire helps keep you mentally sharp, or eventually causes mental fatigue.

I was off by the tournament and by the player, LOL, but I thought I scene him carrying a bag late on sunday. In the show he was interviewed and he even said he was going about the challange all wrong. He said he should of been hitting short irons and greens to just get points. He was hitting dirver (maybe he wants to see some in fairway to gain confidence). If he has any issues at all it seems to be off the T with his driver. Last few shows he has been left a lot.

Driver: :tmade: R11S (9 degree)
Woods: :tmade: R11 3 (15.5 degree) & 5 (19 degree)
Irons: :tmade: R11 4-AW
Wedges: :tmade: ATV 54 & 60 degree
Putter: :scotty_cameron: 2012 Newport 2
Ball: :titleist: ProV1
Rangefinder: :bushnell: Tour V2

Chad, wow. He didn't bother me that much before but yesterday he was just a moron. Glad he's gone. Good show.

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

Note: This thread is 3897 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!