IGNORED

Objections to Derek Ernst thanking God after his win?

mp33 man
Note: This thread is 3998 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Wisguy

Agreed [with Golfingdad's last comment].  What Collins did by coming out of the closet is not just blab about something personal, but make a statement for the purpose of trying to open minds and expanding equality to everyone.  Collins' statement has a lot more in common with Rosa Parks sitting at the front of the bus than with a bible thumper trying to attribute an athletic achievement to his faith in his deity.

If you demand that "bible thumpers" keep their mouths shut about their beliefs, perhaps everyone should also keep their mouths shut about their sexuaility.

The fact that you compare someone declaring their homosexuality to Rosa Parks is an insult to the entire black race.

Homosexuality is already mainstream and widely accepted. There are people out there who still are anti-gay, just like there are people who are anti-black, anti-white, etc...

I guess he felt the same type of need to reveal something personal in light of the win, which is fine by me. To compare it to a staple of the civil rights movement is downright blasphemous.

"Bible thumper" is a perfect example of a "flame" in this case.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Should have stated my position better: country was founded based on Christian values.

Agreed. What was that line on the money again? Something about trusting someone?

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

I agree with you about Ernst ... I did not have nearly enough room in my head to roll my eyes like I wanted to once I saw that somebody started this stupid thread.

Lol. Thanks GD. This sentence saved this thread from being a total waste of my time.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

The line you are talking about is in reference to a supreme being not Christ as you are insinuating.  And no, this country was NOT founded on Christian values.  As fourputts has said, it was found based on freedom of religion not based on endorsement of any particular religion.

Originally Posted by 14ledo81

Agreed.

What was that line on the money again? Something about trusting someone?

• Upvote 1

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

I just wish they would make it funny, like Nate Robinson last night after the Bulls beat the Heat: "God bless me with a lot of heart and no height." :-P

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by jamo

I just wish they would make it funny, like Nate Robinson last night after the Bulls beat the Heat: "God bless me with a lot of heart and no height."

This is off-topic but Nate went hard last night. 10 stitches in the mouth and he dropped 24 in the second half. Guy does have the heart of a lion.

I am much more bothered by church representatives from the same religion blessing troops on opposing sides of a war.

Colin P.

Originally Posted by Rick Martin

Should have stated my position better: country was founded based on Christian values.

What are those values? Raping and pillaging the indigenous people?

• Upvote 2

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Sorry, but the Golf Gods are definitely Pagan .

I know from personal experience just how effective sacrifice, in the form of chipping a ball into the water prior to driving over the lake, can actually be.

It always helps to pay tribute to the Golf Gods....

Originally Posted by mtsalmela80

These threads should just be deleted.this is nothing more than a pathetic attempt to start a flame war. Here is an idea, if you dont like wht a player has to say after a tournament, then stop watching golf

Or better yet, get good enough to win a PGA Tour event, then you can say whatever you want when they put the mic in front of your mouth.

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by mtsalmela80

If you demand that "bible thumpers" keep their mouths shut about their beliefs, perhaps everyone should also keep their mouths shut about their sexuaility.

The fact that you compare someone declaring their homosexuality to Rosa Parks is an insult to the entire black race.

Homosexuality is already mainstream and widely accepted. There are people out there who still are anti-gay, just like there are people who are anti-black, anti-white, etc...

I guess he felt the same type of need to reveal something personal in light of the win, which is fine by me. To compare it to a staple of the civil rights movement is downright blasphemous.

"Bible thumper" is a perfect example of a "flame" in this case.

Seriously? Whatever.

Bill M

For the record, I am not objecting to anyone's view.  I just want the record straight on how this wonderful country was founded.  I don't want the history re-written incorrectly.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Originally Posted by MPtheKid

This is off-topic but Nate went hard last night. 10 stitches in the mouth and he dropped 24 in the second half. Guy does have the heart of a lion.

Derrick Rose could learn a few things, but I digress.

Bill M

Originally Posted by ScouseJohnny

Sorry, but the Golf Gods are definitely Pagan.

I know from personal experience just how effective sacrifice, in the form of chipping a ball into the water prior to driving over the lake, can actually be.

It always helps to pay tribute to the Golf Gods....

Agreed. The next time you say that you have the game figured out, recant immediately and repent.

Bill M

Originally Posted by mtsalmela80

Homosexuality is already mainstream and widely accepted.

Hopefully one day soon but California (Prop 8) would disagree with you

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Hopefully one day soon but California (Prop 8) would disagree with you

[SPOILER=Off Topic]The Delaware senate votes today I believe, which would make it the 11th state to legalize gay marriage. [/SPOILER]

• Upvote 1

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I think if you beleave in god you know that he has created you with special gifts and to thank him is good ! As far as Collins him coming out is also good, but not rosa parks like at all.

Originally Posted by Yukari

The line you are talking about is in reference to a supreme being not Christ as you are insinuating.  And no, this country was NOT founded on Christian values.  As fourputts has said, it was found based on freedom of religion not based on endorsement of any particular religion.

See below.  This was one of the first things that came up when I googled searched the topic.

No one can deny that many of the founding fathers of the United States of America were men of deep religious convictions based in the Bible and their Christian faith in Jesus Christ. Of the 56 men who signed the Declaration of Independence, nearly half (24) held seminary or Bible school degrees.

These Christian quotes of the founding fathers will give you an overview of their strong moral and spiritual convictions which helped form the foundations of our nation and our government.

George Washington
1st U.S. President

"While we are zealously performing the duties of good citizens and soldiers, we certainly ought not to be inattentive to the higher duties of religion. To the distinguished character of Patriot, it should be our highest glory to add the more distinguished character of Christian."
-- The Writings of Washington , pp. 342-343.

John Adams
2nd U.S. President and Signer of the Declaration of Independence

"Suppose a nation in some distant Region should take the Bible for their only law Book, and every member should regulate his conduct by the precepts there exhibited! Every member would be obliged in conscience, to temperance, frugality, and industry; to justice, kindness, and charity towards his fellow men; and to piety, love, and reverence toward Almighty God ... What a Eutopia, what a Paradise would this region be."
-- Diary and Autobiography of John Adams , Vol. III, p. 9.

"The general principles, on which the Fathers achieved independence, were the only Principles in which that beautiful Assembly of young Gentlemen could Unite, and these Principles only could be intended by them in their address, or by me in my answer. And what were these general Principles? I answer, the general Principles of Christianity, in which all these Sects were United: And the general Principles of English and American Liberty, in which all those young Men United, and which had United all Parties in America, in Majorities sufficient to assert and maintain her Independence.

"Now I will avow, that I then believe, and now believe, that those general Principles of Christianity, are as eternal and immutable, as the Existence and Attributes of God; and that those Principles of Liberty, are as unalterable as human Nature and our terrestrial, mundane System."
--Adams wrote this on June 28, 1813, excerpt from a letter to Thomas Jefferson.

"The second day of July, 1776, will be the most memorable epoch in the history of America. I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated by succeeding generations as the great anniversary Festival. It ought to be commemorated, as the Day of Deliverance, by solemn acts of devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with pomp and parade, with shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires and illuminations, from one end of this continent to the other, from this time forward forever."
--Adams wrote this in a letter to his wife, Abigail, on July 3, 1776.

Thomas Jefferson
3rd U.S. President, Drafter and Signer of the Declaration of Independence

"God who gave us life gave us liberty. And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are of the Gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed, I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that His justice cannot sleep forever; That a revolution of the wheel of fortune, a change of situation, is among possible events; that it may become probable by Supernatural influence! The Almighty has no attribute which can take side with us in that event."
-- Notes on the State of Virginia, Query XVIII , p. 237.

"I am a real Christian – that is to say, a disciple of the doctrines of Jesus Christ."
-- The Writings of Thomas Jefferson , p. 385.

John Hancock
1st Signer of the Declaration of Independence

"Resistance to tyranny becomes the Christian and social duty of each individual. ... Continue steadfast and, with a proper sense of your dependence on God, nobly defend those rights which heaven gave, and no man ought to take from us."
-- History of the United States of America , Vol. II, p. 229.

Benjamin Franklin
Signer of the Declaration of Independence and Unites States Constitution

"Here is my Creed. I believe in one God, the Creator of the Universe. That He governs it by His Providence. That He ought to be worshipped.

"That the most acceptable service we render to him is in doing good to his other children. That the soul of man is immortal, and will be treated with justice in another life respecting its conduct in this. These I take to be the fundamental points in all sound religion, and I regard them as you do in whatever sect I meet with them.

"As to Jesus of Nazareth, my opinion of whom you particularly desire, I think the system of morals and his religion, as he left them to us, is the best the world ever saw, or is likely to see;

"But I apprehend it has received various corrupting changes, and I have, with most of the present dissenters in England, some doubts as to his divinity; though it is a question I do not dogmatize upon, having never studied it, and think it needless to busy myself with it now, when I expect soon an opportunity of knowing the truth with less trouble. I see no harm, however, in its being believed, if that belief has the good consequence, as probably it has, of making his doctrines more respected and more observed; especially as I do not perceive, that the Supreme takes it amiss, by distinguishing the unbelievers in his government of the world with any peculiar marks of his displeasure."

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Note: This thread is 3998 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!