IGNORED

Objections to Derek Ernst thanking God after his win?

mp33 man
Note: This thread is 4000 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm your run of the mill christmas/easter christian, so i Don't particularly care either way. However...I will say that I'm always slightly disappointed when I hear how uber-Christian some of these guys are because I like to think of them as dudes who'd be fun to play a round with, drink with, and shoot the shit with. When I hear how super Christian they are I feel it'd be like hanging out with my mother or something. Also, the idea of being pressured into bible study or whatnot is horrifying.

Me and my buddies are having a great time in Vegas. One more day and back to business on the course! Celebrating josh's B-day!

From Twitter. What happens in Vegas.....

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

[COLOR=999999][URL=https://twitter.com/DerekErnst7][COLOR=333333] Derek Ernst [/COLOR] ‏[SIZE=12px][COLOR=999999][S][COLOR=BBBBBB]@[/COLOR][/S] DerekErnst7 [/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL][/COLOR] [COLOR=999999][URL=https://twitter.com/DerekErnst7/status/74641500985765888]28 May 11[/URL][/COLOR]

Me and my buddies are having a great time in Vegas. One more day and back to business on the course! Celebrating josh's B-day!

From Twitter. What happens in Vegas.....

I can't imagine a less fun place to be If one is trying to minimize their amount of sinning.

Originally Posted by SoundandFury

I can't imagine a less fun place to be

If one is trying to minimize their amount of sinning.

A great time in Vegas can be had by good golf, friends, food, conversation, and watching a sporting event or two. Everything dosen't have to be Hangover 3.

On second thought Ernst is a young guy right? Yeah his weekend in Vegas is SUPPOSED to be Hangover 3 with a little golf mixed in here and there. I stand corrected.

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

Please, stop claiming these values as Christian :doh:

Why?? I thought we agreed that many different values share similarities. I choose to call them Christian. You choose to call them whatever you like.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

• Administrator
Originally Posted by 14ledo81

I thought we agreed that many different values share similarities. I choose to call them Christian. You choose to call them whatever you like.

Because they're not "Christian" values. A Buddhist or a non-religious person can have the same values. They're not "Christian" values.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Why??

I thought we agreed that many different values share similarities. I choose to call them Christian. You choose to call them whatever you like.

Some of these Christian values you keep referring to also led to the Crusades and continues to cost lives in Ireland.  If you are referring to the 10 Commandments, they weren't / aren't exclusive to Christians, but I do agree they are a good blueprint for how someone should conduct themselves in society.

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by Kieran123

Quote:

I can handle it.  Very well done.  At least you answered what you thought.  My personal belief follows that if more people followed Christian values (and I mean really follow) the world would be a better place.

If everybody just agreed with me it certainly would be easier to do as your bumper sticker suggests.

See that Yukari.  A peaceful disagreement between me and Gdad.  (mainly because I know he has thoughts about punching people in the face, and I know how big he is).  I don't know how big you are, so as of now I am willing to have a go at it with you. jk

Seriously though, Gdad is a class act.  Even though we disagree about things, I think I would still enjoy playing a round of golf with him, and I hope he feels the same about me.

Please, stop claiming these values as Christian

Why??

Because those values which most of us prize so highly are not the exclusive property of the Christian sects.  Nor do all self proclaimed Christians adhere to those values.  Throughout much of history Christians have had an overinflated sense of their own worth.  Many unthinkable atrocities have been committed in the name of "saving" what they saw as heathen or pagan aboriginal societies.  Throughout the centuries, Christian values have been used as an excuse for conquest, plundering, and even for genocide.  I wouldn't be so quick to brag about them.

Such precepts are better named as the values of civilization .  Those values are embodied in phrases like "turn the other cheek"; "do unto others as you would have them do unto you"; "the right of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness".  If you in some way live your life under the idea that a person is free to live his life as he wishes as long as he doesn't infringe on the rights of the next guy to do the same, then you are living under a civilized set of values, and it makes no difference what your religious beliefs may be, nor is belief in a supreme being even a prerequisite for living at such a high level of awareness.

• Upvote 4

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Originally Posted by SoundandFury

This thread is almost as boring as the tobacco one.

Then why did you waste the time reading and posting to it - just jacking up your post count?

Rick

Then why did you waste the time reading and posting to it - just jacking up your post count? e3_rolleyes.gif

Ha, fair enough. Just think some posts where it's obvious no ones ever going to convince the other side about anything go on for a little too long.

I think some of you are missing the point.  Derek is not thanking his Lord and Savior for allowing him to beat his opponent.  Rather, he is thanking God for giving him the ability, the calm under pressure that allowed him to play very well.  The fact that he came out with the lowest score that week really has nothing to do with how any other player performed in the tournament.

Originally Posted by Grist4yourMill

I think some of you are missing the point.  Derek is not thanking his Lord and Savior for allowing him to beat his opponent.  Rather, he is thanking God for giving him the ability, the calm under pressure that allowed him to play very well.  The fact that he came out with the lowest score that week really has nothing to do with how any other player performed in the tournament.

Excellent first post, Grist. You have been able to cut through the diatribes to the essence of the matter.

Actually, that literally does have everything to do with how the other players performed. Had they performed better, he wouldn't have had the lowest score - thus his win was also reliant upon the other players and their final scores.

....Just messing with you since it's your first post. Welcome to TST!

His "creator" was actually two-----his parents.  Gods do not enter into it. Superstition is a terrible thing-----there have been almost as many "gods" as humans over the years. Indeed the multitude of gods over the millennia proves that " god "  is man-made, not the reverse.

No the point for me is his timing.  I don't care why, but I do care that it comes off as preaching when he chooses to do it in front of the microphone.  He's a golfer, not a minister.  If he wants to be a minister, then take the pulpit to church.

Rick

Originally Posted by Fourputt

No the point for me is his timing.  I don't care why, but I do care that it comes off as preaching when he chooses to do it in front of the microphone.  He's a golfer, not a minister.  If he wants to be a minister, then take the pulpit to church.

I can see where you are coming from on the timing.  I don't like it at all when sports figures use there "time in front" to push their personal issues (gay rights, gun control, etc....)

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Originally Posted by HighlandLaird

His "creator" was actually two-----his parents.  Gods do not enter into it. Superstition is a terrible thing-----there have been almost as many "gods" as humans over the years. Indeed the multitude of gods over the millennia proves that " god "  is man-made, not the reverse.

In reference to your use of the word "almost" I would like to quote the famous philosopher, Inigo Montoya ... "I do not think that word means what you think it means." ;)

Originally Posted by Fourputt

Yes, but it's not really worth making that big of a deal about it, is it?  If he wants to try and sell me on his religion, that's fine.  He could also choose to try and sell me on his new clubs, his new energy drink, or whatever.  Doesn't mean I'm buying any of them, but he can go ahead and try.  Actually, as I'm thinking about this ... how different is it really?  If I am a cruddy golfer (what a coincidence, I am!) and Phil Mickelson comes on and raves about his new driver helping him win one week and I believe him and go out and buy one thinking it will advance my cause, I don't know that that is much different than Joe Blow going to church and praying because he thinks it will help him because he thinks it helped Webb the next week.

(Also, to be fair ... evangelizing in church isn't doing much to advance the numbers because there you are - quite literally - preaching to the choir. ;))

Note: This thread is 4000 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!