IGNORED

Adam Scott Backswing (Takeaway)

Note: This thread is 3998 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey guys, i really been struggling with a proper takeaway. I understand how to start it but i always get lost on how to get the club parrell to my target line at the end of the takeaway. I had been hingining my wrists sooner to get the club on plane but been noticing a lack of distance and accuracy. Losing a lot of my shots to the right, even with a stronger grip.

I recently stumbled accross this web page that breaks down Adam Scott's swing:

http://www.free-golf-lessons.com/scott.html

The author talks about how Scott slightly rotates his forearms so the club is in the correct position for him to finish the backswing:

"Scott does a great job on the takeaway. I want you to focus in on his golf glove. Watch how, when his club is parallel to the ground, the logo on his glove is facing the camera. In fact you can see the logo by the time his hands are passing his back leg. This means that he allowed his forearms to rotate during the first step of the backswing."

I started practicing this last night at home and it seems to be an easier concept to grasp as opposed to hinging the wrist earlier. I felt like I was in a more solid position at the top of my backswing and the motion / tempo felt more "fluid". I also felt I was able to get a wider arc going back and have a flatter swing with better weight shift on the way down.

I don't know if there is a right or wrong way but does anyone here slightly rotate their forearms on the takeaway? I still need to test this out on the range; hopefully tonight.

Thanks!

I love you Nicole Aniston

Well i would watch out for this tip because Scott's left hand is in a pretty strong position, meaning that his left hand is more ontop of the club than on the side. This will rotate the emblem more to the right (facing the camera) to start out with. So there will be less rotation than you think.

If you look at the 2nd video, you can pause it were his hands are at hip height. The clubface is square to the swing path. When his hands are at waist height, the clubface starts to open up. At the top, he's in a good place, clubface parallel to the swing path.

But if you get the clubhead in a position were its parallel to the swing path at the top, your forearms are rotating. If your thinking about it, or feeling you have to make the rotation in the swing is personal preference. For me, i don't like to feel my hands (forearms), rotating in the swing. I get in trouble if i do that.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Certainly what has helped me and continues to do so is the "swingyde".Its that little yellow plastic thing i'm sure you've seen around the traps.In any case i keep an old 7 iron around the house with one attached to it and just pick it up at least once a day and make a few practice swings with it.Its just reinforcing muscle memory of where you should be in terms of wrist hinge and takeaway and has helped me no end.Its pretty simple and a great visual as well as physical tool to keep you on the right path in terms of takeaway...hope that helps,its certainly helped me for 15£ on ebay.

Originally Posted by johnny_14424

Hey guys, i really been struggling with a proper takeaway. I understand how to start it but i always get lost on how to get the club parrell to my target line at the end of the takeaway. I had been hingining my wrists sooner to get the club on plane but been noticing a lack of distance and accuracy. Losing a lot of my shots to the right, even with a stronger grip.

I recently stumbled accross this web page that breaks down Adam Scott's swing:

http://www.free-golf-lessons.com/scott.html

The author talks about how Scott slightly rotates his forearms so the club is in the correct position for him to finish the backswing:

"Scott does a great job on the takeaway. I want you to focus in on his golf glove. Watch how, when his club is parallel to the ground, the logo on his glove is facing the camera. In fact you can see the logo by the time his hands are passing his back leg. This means that he allowed his forearms to rotate during the first step of the backswing."

I started practicing this last night at home and it seems to be an easier concept to grasp as opposed to hinging the wrist earlier. I felt like I was in a more solid position at the top of my backswing and the motion / tempo felt more "fluid". I also felt I was able to get a wider arc going back and have a flatter swing with better weight shift on the way down.

I don't know if there is a right or wrong way but does anyone here slightly rotate their forearms on the takeaway? I still need to test this out on the range; hopefully tonight.

Thanks!

Yeah be careful with that, common fault for golfers is to rotate the forearms too much on the takeaway.  Club shouldn't be toe up when shaft is parallel to the ground, should be slightly toe down.  The glove logo reference is silly, doesn't illustrate anything, there are players that have the club 45 degrees toe down on the takeaway and you would still see the logo. Can't really tell how to make a good takeaway because it depends on what you need.  Some players take the club head in, some out, so one feel could work for one player and be disastrous for another.  Have you posted a My Swing thread?  Best way to get an idea for what you need to do.

Might be some helpful stuff here but there is a good chance the shots to the right aren't a club face issue it's a path issue.  Check out the same thread for Key#2 drills.  Getting the weight forward is huge for changing swing direction.

http://thesandtrap.com/t/61376/5sk-video-thread/36#post_806958

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yes I would be quite careful with golf analysis by golf editors. Prefer to talk to through with a golf pro. You don't know if something was the cause or the effect.

One thing quite obvious when I saw Adam Scott in person was his left hand flip to the right quite deliberately in his takeaway. I thought that was the biggest difference between him and Tiger even if they shared very identical swing. It is less obvious now compared to 3-4 years ago.

I also don't think there is much anyone could fault about his swing.

Yeah be careful with that, common fault for golfers is to rotate the forearms too much on the takeaway.  Club shouldn't be toe up when shaft is parallel to the ground, should be slightly toe down.  The glove logo reference is silly, doesn't illustrate anything, there are players that have the club 45 degrees toe down on the takeaway and you would still see the logo. Can't really tell how to make a good takeaway because it depends on what you need.  Some players take the club head in, some out, so one feel could work for one player and be disastrous for another.  Have you posted a My Swing thread?  Best way to get an idea for what you need to do. [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/74565/] [/URL] Might be some helpful stuff here but there is a good chance the shots to the right aren't a club face issue it's a path issue.  Check out the same thread for Key#2 drills.  Getting the weight forward is huge for changing swing direction. [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/t/61376/5sk-video-thread/36#post_806958]http://thesandtrap.com/t/61376/5sk-video-thread/36#post_806958[/URL]

I still gotta get a new video posted in My Swings. I understand that too much forearm rotation can lead to taking the club inside on the takeaway so I will be very conscious of that. Thank you for your feedback!

Certainly what has helped me and continues to do so is the "swingyde".Its that little yellow plastic thing i'm sure you've seen around the traps.In any case i keep an old 7 iron around the house with one attached to it and just pick it up at least once a day and make a few practice swings with it.Its just reinforcing muscle memory of where you should be in terms of wrist hinge and takeaway and has helped me no end.Its pretty simple and a great visual as well as physical tool to keep you on the right path in terms of takeaway...hope that helps,its certainly helped me for 15£ on ebay.

I've seen that and was always curious about it. May need to try it out. Thanks!

Note: This thread is 3998 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!