IGNORED

60° Wedge, LOVE IT OR HATE IT?

Note: This thread is 5887 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. 60° Lob Wedge, Love it, Hate it, Put up with it?

• LOVE IT
    • HATE IT
    • PUT UP WITH IT

I love mine and would not even think about taking it out of my bag. What happens when you use it?

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i have this 5 or 6 year old cobra 60. i just love it. i do nearly ll of my greenside work with it. its also good for the high draw from 80 yards. i didn't have to take anything out of my bag-until i got this club i was just using a gap wedge for these shots

driver- R580XD 9.5*
3 wood- m/speed
hybrid- cft ti 4h
irons- fp 4-gap
wedges- 54* and RAC satin 56* 12 bounceputter- 1/2 Craz-Eballs- DT Carry, e5, anything found thats is good shapeshoes-adidashome course - nothing - uh oh. perhaps pleasant view againschool...

• 4 weeks later...
First off, if some one says they hate a club, they probably don't carry it. If they hate a club and still carry it, then they must feel a need for its utility but have not really learned how to use it. Why have they not learned to hit it? Because the only time they pull it out is when they need it on the course... usually muttering something about not being able to hit it.

Under the right conditions there is no substitute for this lofted wedge. I have tried to get along without a lob wedge in order to make room for another club, but one simply cannot hit certain lofted shots with a sand wedge (due to the loft AND the bounce). When I need the ball to go virtually straight up and sit down like a butterfly with sore feet, the 60 deg is the club.

You know when I learned to hit it? When I took time to practice with it. Back in the stance or forward. Laid open or square. More or less wrist action at the bottom. Off the toe and laid open, I can shoot the ball up and drop it straight down from 5 and 50 yards.

You have to practice with the club to gain the confidence to execute the shot on the course. I see people try a flop shot, hit it thin and then complain they just can't hit that shot. I can tell they have not worked with it enough to have the confidence to stay level and swing through. If you are up-tight about a certain type of shot, you will chunk it or hit it thin almost every time. You can't have confidence if you don't hit it enough in practice to gain the confidence you need on the course.

SubPar

If you can't hit a 60 deg. wedge you have only yourself to blame. So go to the range and hit 30-40 nice and easy flop shots and see what happens next time on the course.

I love mine.

Never use it for a full shot though, so maybe thats why! my favourite shot in the bag is that low boring punch with the 60*( hopefully from the fairway ).
Whats in the bag:

Driver: Nike Ignite 460cc 10.5* Fujikura Ignite reg flex
Fairway woods: Howson tour master power series 3,5 woods
Irons: MacGregor M675 3-PW DG S300 Wedges: Mizuno MP-R Black Nickel 54.10, 60.05Putter: Pinfire Golf P4Ball: Titleist NXT TourHome Course:http://www.golfarmagh.co.uk/...

Okay, so I have a Titleist Oil-Can Vokey Spin Milled 60° wedge in my bag.

Keep the 60!

I would much rather get rid of my SW before i ditch the 60. so many options.
Driver: Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 10.5* (UST Proforce v2 77g X Flex) 3 Wood: Callaway Diablo 15* (UST Proforce v2 86g S Flex). 2 Hybrid: Adams A4 Tech 17* (UST Proforce v2 105g S Flex). 3 and 4 Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 20* and 23* (UST Proforce v2 105g S Flex)
Irons: Tour Edge Exotics...

• 2 weeks later...
I have a 60* degree Yonex PM zero bounce wedge that I can hit off a gym floor.I can hit it more than 40 yards but it stops on a dime and usually sits in its own mark.

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

i had an old Cleveland BeCu 60* for years. used to love it until last summer when i swear i only used it maybe 5 times in 15 rounds. Those shots were just as doable with the 56* which I have a hell of a lot more confidence in no matter what type of lie or shot.

Ditched it and never looked back.

Call me crazy but I only carry 13 clubs currently. Maybe I'll give it another shot...

Driver:  S3 White Limited Edition 10.5* w/Aldila RIP Beta 65

3 Wood:  Burner 15*

Irons:  Forged Blades 3-9

Wedges:  SV 48, 52, 56, and 60

Putter:  Studio Newport

Ball: Pro V1

Bag: 

Mine is a love and hate relationship. Like some other posters I cannot hit full shots with it and have found that if I only bring it out when I cannot play the shot in front of me just as well with my 54 degree I seem to concentrate more and get much more consistent results.

23Rounder

Tour Burner 9.5 / RE*AX 60g Stiff
Launcher 13 & 17 Fairway / Fujikura Gold Stiff
MT Pro-C 3-W / DG S300 MP 52.07 Vokey SM58.12 Tracy II, 34" Putter Z-URS or NXT Tour

I love my Cleveland CG10 lob. I practiced with that club 1/2 hour a day for 2 months last spring. What I did learn is my back swing and follow through need to be an equal distance. Once I figured that out, I have no fear using it over sand or water, even out of sand.

In My Bag: 10.5 Staff (cart) - (stand)

Driver - FT-i - (11 degree Speeder)

3 wood - Sasquatch - (Diamana)5 wood - Big Bertha - (Steel)4 hybrid - Rescue Mid clone - (Irod)Irons - DCI 822OS - (Graphite)Wedges - CG10 and CG11 Black PearlPutter - Heavy...

How can you hate a 60 degree? There perfect for greenside bunkers, or when you need backspin
WHATS IN THE BAG?

Calloway 460cc Big Birtha driver
Nike NDS irons
Cleveland 54 degree wedgePing lob wedgeRIFE Martinique Island Series putter

For the guys who don't have the confidence on the "full" 60* wedge shot, are you making the same swing as your 7-iron where your upper body is torqued against your lower body for accuracy and power? If so, drop the 'power' portion. It's a finesse shot. The backswing should be considerably shorter than all other full swings. Use the same speed going back and through with no resistence between upper and lower body. Yes, you'll hit them 10-20 yards less, but you should gain accuracy and confidence.

As for pitching and chipping, the 60 is too valuable not to have in the bag, unless you're a low amateur or pro.

Also, maybe that spin milled Vokey (or equivalent) is not for you? There's no offset with that club. If you're slicing a 60, maybe you should test one with a little offset (Ping iWedge comes to mind).

Driver: R7 SuperQuad TP 9.5° Fujikura Rombax 6X07
Hybrid: Rescue TP 19°

Orlimar3wood: Hip-Steel 15° (oldie but goodie)Irons: Ping i10 [4-GW] DG X-100Wedges: Ping Tour-W [54° & 58°] DG X-100Putter: i-Series Piper HBalls: B330-S or e5+

I love it and have changed up my wedges because of it's entry in my bag. I now carry a 54* and 60* Ping iWedges.

The thing about teh 60* for me is, I have to remember to accelerate through the ball or I pop it short...

In My Grom Bag:
Rapture Driver (10.5*)
Rapture 3 wood (14*)
G5 22* Hybrid
Eye 2+ (Blue-Dot) 4-PW iWedge 54/60 PAL-2i (Isopur); G2 ZSB Pro V1xHome Course: Rio Salado Golf Club (63.6/101)

Love it. What's there to hate? Open your stance a bit, accelerate through the ball, hit down on it...and you're golden. :) I am not very experienced, so take my advice with a grain of salt, but one thing that did indeed help me a lot, was to stop using it for every shot around the green. Different lies require different clubs. I use my PW as much around the green as I do the 60. I also use my 56 a lot these days as it gives a nice blend between spin and roll. I think the key is to find what works for you personally and not go off of what works for Tiger or your local pro.

TaylorMade R11S TP Blur 60 X
TayloreMade R11S TP Blur 70 X

Titleist 910H 21&24
Miura Tournament Blades 5-PW DGX100 Tour Issue
Cleveland CG16 52

Miura Black Wedge 56, 60
Newport 2 Teryllium Ten

Titleist ProV1x

I've been using a 60º for 3 years now and I think of it as an absolutely mandatory club. You need to get out on the range and on a practice area to figure out how to use it, but it's not supposed to be a club you take full cuts with.

I used it from ~80 to ~30 basically always; I use it around the green whenever I'm shortsided; whenever I need to get some air under a touchy shot; whenever I need the ball to stop quickly; whenever I must hit a flop. Plus it's excellent for chipping in some scenarios where you need to maximize your carry before the roll.

With all that said, there's nothing wrong with taking it out of the bag until you're comfortable using it to try to score.
In the bag 8/12/09:
R9 w/ 63g S Fubuki | 909F2 13.5º | 909H 19º | MP-67 w/ Project X 5.5, 3-PW | Spin Milled 52â¢04, 56â¢08, 60â¢04 | BC1, 35" | Tour One | uPro

Hcp: 5.9
Trend: 5.2

I don,t think I couild play golf without my 60* wedge Like CPHoya I use it whenever I,m shortsided or sitting in the bottom of hard bunkers, or trying to nip a ball off a tight lie. I hit it full from 60m & just love those high spin flop shots you can use it for. Must admit though, it is the easiest club in the bag to mishit.

Love it. What's there to hate? Open your stance a bit, accelerate through the ball, hit down on it...and you're golden. :) I am not very experienced, so take my advice with a grain of salt, but one thing that did indeed help me a lot, was to stop using it for every shot around the green. Different lies require different clubs. I use my PW as much around the green as I do the 60. I also use my 56 a lot these days as it gives a nice blend between spin and roll. I think the key is to find what works for you personally and not go off of what works for Tiger or your local pro.

I couldn't agree more -- the 60* is a goto club for the right situations which are for me: 1) a true lob shot around/below the green; 2) a 70 yard full wedge to a hard green where I want the full spin; and 3) in some short chip scenarios going downhill where I need to check quickly.

For other short shots I might use anything from putter, PW, SW, GW, 7I or 4H depending upon the distance, lie, and green speed.

My Bag:

Driver: Srixon ZR-W 9.5* Graffaloy Epic 68(R)
Fairway: Wishon 949MC 16.5*
Hybrid(s): Cobra Baffler DWS 20*Irons: 6-PW Mizuno MP-52. 5i Mizuno MX-23Wedges: Cleveland CG12 DSG 56/10Putter: Rife 2-Bar Hybrid

• 2 weeks later...
I fell in love with my 60* LW as it is my goto club for greenside bunkers, short yardages in front of hazards, and nice soft on the dime approach shots to the pin.

Driver: G10 9* Matrix Ozik XCON6
Woods: i15 15.5*S UST Mamiya Axivcore Tour Red
Hybrids: i15 23*S UST Mamiya Axivcore Tour Red; i15 23* UST Mamiya Axivcore Tour Red
Irons: S57 5-PW DG S300
Wedges: Vintage Tour 52*; :eidolon: 56* & 60*Putter: Studio Select Newport 2

Note: This thread is 5887 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!