IGNORED

recomendations for a forgiving 3 wood

Note: This thread is 3951 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been playing for a short time and my scores are down around 100 now. As I have been getting better I find new holes in my game. I am finding there are times when my 3 hybrid is not long enough off the fairway, a miss hit tee shot or a long par 5. I currently have a 13* cleveland 3 wood but I can't hit it off the fairway.

Is there a wood out there that might be easier for a beginner to use??

Thanks again... Bill

I hit my hybrid about 210 or 215 on a well hit shot but that is the max.

In my bag....

Bombtech Grenade driver. 10.5* Aldila DVS60 stiff, 45"

Ping i20 irons, ProjectX5.5. 5 thru PW.

Tour Edge 3 Hybrid, Adams A7 4Hybrid

Titelist SM4 52-8. 56-12

Cleveland RTX 60-12 wedge.

Tour Edge xcg5 15* 3 Wood

Cheap crappy Wilson putter that works as well as anything for me.

It's a work in progress, I've only been playing for going on two years or so.

Well there is allot  to choose from.

But i think Taylormade RBZ will be good for you.

They have a nice big head what makes it easy to hit and in the air.

Personally i think 13 deg. loft is a bit strong for a beginner player.

Something you can try also ( i did for a long time ) is take a hybrid

with a 16 deg. loft ( about a 1 iron ) use the same specs as your current 3 hybrid

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

Ixnay on the RBZ 3 wood.

IOW, NO.

It is a good club for those with speed and some skill, but it's deep face and long length shaft make it virtually unusable off the deck for a high capper. I've seen too many playing partners hit this club no where or spray it everywhere.

Off the deck, get a decent 5 wood. They are as long as old 3 woods.

The Callaway X Hot and Stage 2 RBZ are the sticks de jour. The Callaway feels hotter, livelier and lighter and the Stage 2 is more shallow and higher launch than the original RBZ.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That's a long ball with a hybrid for a beginner, unless carry and run, downhill on the Texas desert.  Yes, get something with more loft, at least 15*. More loft means less slice, the usual problem. And unless you take your new club onto the range for an extended 'hand shake'  you will have limited success on the course with that club, IMO.

Yea, that's not my average distance but it is the club I use for 200 plus yard shots and I do hit it that far when I strike the ball well. Point is that there are times when I could use 3 wood distance,  My 4 hybrid is my 185 to 200 yard club. Off the tee on par 3 these distances are pretty solid with those two clubs.

In my bag....

Titelist SM4 52-8. 56-12

I hit a taylormade today, it was easier to hit than my Cleveland. I'll try a 4 wood. Thanks.

In my bag....

Titelist SM4 52-8. 56-12

Originally Posted by tomvk77

... Personally i think 13 deg. loft is a bit strong for a beginner player. ...

Originally Posted by Roblar

... A forgiving 3-wood? I'd try a 4-wood.

T and R above have the right idea.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Well there is allot  to choose from.

But i think Taylormade RBZ will be good for you.

They have a nice big head what makes it easy to hit and in the air.

Personally i think 13 deg. loft is a bit strong for a beginner player.

Something you can try also ( i did for a long time ) is take a hybrid

with a 16 deg. loft ( about a 1 iron ) use the same specs as your current 3 hybrid

+1 Callaway used to name its 13 degrees 3 wood a 3+ . Now just every manufacturer makes their 3 wood 13 degrees strong. A higher lofted club is still the best option for forgiveness and some distance loss is inevitable.

What are your problems with your 3 wood off the deck?

if its consistent contact (i.e. fat shots) consider trying out a Cobra Rail-F Baffler 15.5* 3 wood.  I have one.  It has a unique, rail sole that drastically minimizes the effect of a slightly fat shot.  Its a really neat club and my favorite to hit.  Its not especially long (I hit it about 225 and a Callaway X hot about 240) but its incredibly consistent off the deck because of the rail sole.  It also has a thin face which makes it easier to put on the ball.

If you are making consistent contact and just slicing / hooking, its going to be difficult to fix that with anything but just more loft (i.e. a 4 or 5 wood).

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the response,  the problem is ball striking.    I took the solid advise from T and R above, and bought a TEE 16.5 degree 4w.  I was able to hit that club the first time out. I have played three rounds with it and I hit it off the tee or the turf with equal ease. I mean I'm just crushing straight 200 plus yard shots right off the fairway, unbelievable.

I visually compared the Cleveland 3&5 woods with the Tour Edge. The Cleveland Ultra light woods have a very rounded sole to face edge, the Tee and others like the Call away X Hot and the RB have a crisp corner, a sharp corner on the bottom of the face, almost like the Clevelands have too much bounce. No mystery as too why I couldn't hit those off the deck.

Thanks again.

In my bag....

Titelist SM4 52-8. 56-12

Your welcome. Have fun

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

In my bag there isn't room for a 3 and a 5 wood. So I went for a 4 wood, maybe the best decision yet. :) I got myself a PING Anser 16.5 degree and it's been great sofar. Mind you: the difference in distance isn't that big of a problem for me. :)

I just bought the Titleist 913 13F and 913H 19* Hybrid.  They both have  adjustable shafts like the Titleist driver. I'm playing them in the neutral setting but it's nice to be able to adjust them if needed.

DLX cart bag...white/red

R1
913F 15*

913H 19*

G25s 4 iron - U wedge

CG 14 Black Pearl 56* -  60*

... KOMBI 35" 

...ProV1

Yikes, 13* of loft is risky. I used to play a 4 wood consistently until last year picking up a RBz 3 wood and I love it. Find it forgiving on mishits. Can't go wrong with the 4 wood, I loved it.

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

Note: This thread is 3951 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!