• Announcements

    • iacas

      GAME GOLF Ryder Cup Contest   09/22/2016

      Join our GAME GOLF Ryder Cup Challenge to win an autographed GAME GOLF, a Pebble Steel watch, and many more great prizes!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sofingaw

A Couple of General Tips if You're Lost..

11 posts in this topic

I'm not qualified to give advice, BUT..this is the Internet, so here it is anyway! Disclaimer! This is long! To avoid reading it all: In a sentence: "Lose the mechanical swing thoughts, even if you suck pretty bad." Some background: I have been playing about a year. A little less, actually. Lowest score, 110. Normal score, 120. Typical inconsistent contact, and inconsistent ball flight, which brings typical frustration. Play or practice 4-8 times a month. (It varies) Additionally, I am a daily reader and sometime poster on TST, and have read a LOT about, and watched a LOT of golf over the past year. I have also had 3 lessons from Professionals that were very helpful to me. I think that I know more about golf than most with my experience level. In short, I am addicted to golf, full on. I usually play with a few buddies who shoot in the 80s and 90s. It pains all three of us to see me struggle, though we all have a good time! As I was conducting my daily rambling for 30 minutes straight to my buddy who shoots in the 80s about the flavor of the moment swing fix that I was SURE was 'it'. 'This will get me over the hump to bogey golf!' (Can't remember what it was, now) My buddy says 'Consistent contact. Hit the damn ball!!' I realized then that I have been driving myself crazy trying to fix my swing, and ruining any chance of success in the process! I am constantly abuzz with swing thoughts, both on and off the course. I had overdone it. Classic Paralysis by Analysis. I vowed then to focus on as few things as possible, and to trust my swing. I narrowed them down to three things gleaned from my extensive study and limited experience: 1) Become 'Target FOCUSED' 2) Swing Easy 3) Make Contact I just got back from the range, and have never hit it better! With ALL clubs, too! I offer those three pieces of advice to anyone who is roughly at my skill level, and seems frustrated by the search for a fix or several that are 'the key(s)'. I cannot explain how big this seems to me. This is the first time I feel like I have made a change that really really helps my game overall, and noticed immediate results. The biggest hurdle for me was clearly mental. I posted this NOVEL here because I think I am not alone, and I want to help, if I can. Here was the mental hurdle so difficult to overcome: I was certain that I was 100% justified in NOT trusting my swing, whatsoever. I could not let go of swing thoughts during the actual swing itself. I thought that I needed them, or at least one of them. I thought that if I dropped my focus from any number of rotating thoughts, everything would fall to pieces immediately, and I would have no chance at hitting the ball well at all. I believed that my swing thoughts were the fabric holding my wild, inconsistent swing just barely together. I was WRONG! Those thoughts were strangling my swing, and literally filling it with tension, which was KILLING me out there. The tipping point was after my buddy told me to hit the damn ball, and I realized that no matter what I thought I knew about golf and the golf swing, my results were clear: I still suck after a year of pretty dedicated mental and physical effort. I finally gave up and let it all go. I literally said to myself out loud: "I can't do MUCH worse. MAYBE I can trust my swing, even though my wild inconsistency would suggest otherwise. Oh well. What have I got to lose? EVERYONE says swing easy and visualize your shot. Though I have seen NO evidence to suggest that my swing is trustable.. Maybe some magic will happen. I doubt at least that ill shoot worse than my standard 120..." It was just a range session, but I did those 3 things (Really, 1 and 2, mostly - #3 basically took care of itself!) Hit em straight!!
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

I, too, only took up this game last year.  My first time out on a real course, I went solo, and on the 2nd or 3rd tee, someone caught up and joined me.  He didn't feel qualified to give me swing advice, but helped with the mental game, most importantly:  don't swing so hard!  I still struggle with this, but not nearly as much.  My game is getting better as a result.

Find a local executive course -- it'll boost your confidence greatly.

That, and hit the range.  Find what your weakness is, and work on it.  If you have more than 1 weakness, well, one thing at a time.  After my first time out this year (put up a 129 on a fairly difficult par 72), I determined that my irons and hybrids just were not working.  A few hundred range balls later, I'm now fairly consistent with them.

Now, on to woods, which are hit or miss, and lag putting.

Oh, and remember:  this game is hard.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by sofingaw

I have been playing about a year. A little less, actually. Lowest score, 110. Normal score, 120. Typical inconsistent contact, and inconsistent ball flight, which brings typical frustration.

As I was conducting my daily rambling for 30 minutes straight to my buddy who shoots in the 80s about the flavor of the moment swing fix that I was SURE was 'it'. 'This will get me over the hump to bogey golf!' (Can't remember what it was, now)

1) Become 'Target FOCUSED'

2) Swing Easy

3) Make Contact

I just got back from the range, and have never hit it better! With ALL clubs, too!

I was WRONG! Those thoughts were strangling my swing, and literally filling it with tension, which was KILLING me out there.

The tipping point was after my buddy told me to hit the damn ball, and I realized that no matter what I thought I knew about golf and the golf swing, my results were clear: I still suck after a year of pretty dedicated mental and physical effort.

So, not to be a downer, but a bit of "tough love" or experience:

  • "This too shall pass."
  • Your average score probably won't drop much at all. It may drop a little, but you're not going to consistently break 100 without changing your swing, not just your "mindset" (my words, yes).
  • You spent a year "working hard" but really you probably just spent a year hitting a lot of golf balls (badly) while searching for one magical fix that would "click."
  • Your buddies know less than you think. :)

There are no shortcuts to better golf. If you're happy to shoot the 110s or so that those things might ( might ) get you to, great. Have a ball and you're my friend because we both love golf, and all is well and right in the world.

However, if you want to shoot in the 90s, or 80s, you need to change things in your golf swing. You likely possess 0 of the 5 Simple Keys® right now and your handicap will drop if you begin to master them.

People whose swing is going seven directions look like they're exerting a bunch of effort, but they're often swinging slower at the same time. Good players (who don't know about the golf swing) will often say "just swing easy" as if it's a cure-all. It can help, but the swings of better players look "easier" because their swings are better. They're more efficient.

You're at a crossroads. If you don't want to pay for instruction, or you don't even care about getting it, that's good and well. But if you want to actually get better, it's time to get good instruction and stop listening to your buddies altogether.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by iacas

So, not to be a downer, but a bit of "tough love" or experience:

"This too shall pass."

Your average score probably won't drop much at all. It may drop a little, but you're not going to consistently break 100 without changing your swing, not just your "mindset" (my words, yes).

You spent a year "working hard" but really you probably just spent a year hitting a lot of golf balls (badly) while searching for one magical fix that would "click."

Your buddies know less than you think. :)

There are no shortcuts to better golf. If you're happy to shoot the 110s or so that those things might (might) get you to, great. Have a ball and you're my friend because we both love golf, and all is well and right in the world.

However, if you want to shoot in the 90s, or 80s, you need to change things in your golf swing. You likely possess 0 of the 5 Simple Keys® right now and your handicap will drop if you begin to master them.

People whose swing is going seven directions look like they're exerting a bunch of effort, but they're often swinging slower at the same time. Good players (who don't know about the golf swing) will often say "just swing easy" as if it's a cure-all. It can help, but the swings of better players look "easier" because their swings are better. They're more efficient.

You're at a crossroads. If you don't want to pay for instruction, or you don't even care about getting it, that's good and well. But if you want to actually get better, it's time to get good instruction and stop listening to your buddies altogether.

As a fellow golfer that has probably been golfing a little longer (but not much) than sofingaw, I have to agree with Erik whole-heartedly.  My handicap was at its lowest early last year (12.5 according to an app on my smart-phone).  Since then it has come up.  I think I just hit a short spell where "the fix of the moment" was working.  I also have a decent (better than average) short game because I can hit balls in my back yard (shorter distances) every day if I want.

My ball striking has gotten worse, and I really feel if I want to take it to the next level (start improving), I will need some quality instruction.  Because I know this, but as of now am unable to buy a camera or pay for Evolvr, I will continue to play my 2-3 times a month average and enjoy it for what it is.  I really do plan on some time in the future getting the instruction I need, and I feel very confident I will improve.

Now I also do not think a person can not improve on their own (to a certain extent), I certainly have.  I also have read many things on TST and tryed to implent some of the drills I have seen.  I just feel that I am at the point where if I want to get better, I will need someone qualified to see my swing.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by 14ledo81

As a fellow golfer that has probably been golfing a little longer (but not much) than sofingaw, I have to agree with Erik whole-heartedly.  My handicap was at its lowest early last year (12.5 according to an app on my smart-phone).  Since then it has come up.  I think I just hit a short spell where "the fix of the moment" was working.  I also have a decent (better than average) short game because I can hit balls in my back yard (shorter distances) every day if I want.

My ball striking has gotten worse, and I really feel if I want to take it to the next level (start improving), I will need some quality instruction.  Because I know this, but as of now am unable to buy a camera or pay for Evolvr, I will continue to play my 2-3 times a month average and enjoy it for what it is.  I really do plan on some time in the future getting the instruction I need, and I feel very confident I will improve.

Now I also do not think a person can not improve on their own (to a certain extent), I certainly have.  I also have read many things on TST and tryed to implent some of the drills I have seen.  I just feel that I am at the point where if I want to get better, I will need someone qualified to see my swing.

The thing is, not all drills are created equal. A good instructor will make sure the drills you are doing address what needs fixing first. That's why there are so many drills, some you need now, some you'll need later and some that you may never need. You don't want to waste time drilling a drill that you don't need.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Fair points, all. And, a very accurate characterization of where I'm at, and where I've been, Erik. (Must do this for a living, eh?!) I'm sure that to shoot in the 80's I'll need regular instruction. I'm not as stubborn or cheap as it may seem, either. I have paid for lessons, and will continue to when I feel very stuck. But I bet I can get into the 90's first! (And I want to try!) We shall see, and yes, this may well pass. I really think the effective removal of mental and physical tension from my swing is a WAY bigger deal than any other change to my game since a pro that I got a lesson from got me to stop swaying on the backswing. (That was ROUGH!) My hypotheses is that with a bit more putting practice, ill be right where I need to be, sometime this summer. I will definitely keep you all posted, and start a My Swing thread. I promise. And ill be glad to eat crow if and when I'm proved wrong! Cheers all!
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, to add another "two bits" from the high handicap perspective, I do find that I can get overly tensed up if I'm thinking too mechanically so there is some value in the concept of "letting it all go and just swing" but I think ideally you want to practice and drill what your instructor is asking of you so that when its time to play (as opposed to practice) you will have the benefit of your subconscious knowing what needs to be done in those split seconds it takes to smack that mofo. I had a TERRIBLE range session last night (after seeing some very solid improvement lately) and I know it's because I was getting too mechanical (trying to incorporate my latest lesson too quickly, skipping the steps of slow drilling and partial swings) which caused my lower body to freeze up and my weight shift to become too...un-athletic...and the harder I tried to get the train back on the rails the worse it got because I was thinking instead of swinging. Hit a few fat, thin and even topped shots which I haven't done in ages and it was all from the tension. I find the tip about having a relaxed jaw prior to swinging to be a very effective way to release the body's tension but it isn't a silver bullet. So to sum my post up, yes just blanking your mind and swinging easy is great for golf but you really need to train your body to act correctly on a subconscious level to really see improvement. YMMV and others may disagree which is fine, I need all the learnin' I can get!!!
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I felt like bashing my brain out with a short iron the other day. I was distracted, expected to hit it better than my previous outing, and couldn't focus. I do a lot of range work since I got a range pass, so this went on for 8 buckets of hitting shots poorly and getting the wrong flight too much. It was a step backwards for me, and I didn't do any better with my short game practice though I got my pitching slightly improved.

So I went home after grinding out a long session. I wasn't sure if I would take time off to avoid the frustration or what. I ended up going back the very next day with lowered expectations and a single goal: "I will hit 8 buckets and get my hands down through impact properly on every shot regardless of whatever other problems I may have." I took whatever shape and trajectory I got, but I had great command and contact from the first shot onwards. Even hitting the green with the 3 wood off the deck was a makeable shot. Almost every shot had the penetrating, powerful trajectory and stuck to its line as it only does when struck well.

I played a quick round and had ballstriking ability that I could see producing scores in the 60s with a little more work. That would require a slight bit of work in my short game, about 15 strokes improvement. But I cut off more than 15 strokes in a month with my long game so far. Should be interesting.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by sofingaw

Fair points, all. And, a very accurate characterization of where I'm at, and where I've been, Erik. (Must do this for a living, eh?!)

I'm sure that to shoot in the 80's I'll need regular instruction.

I'm not as stubborn or cheap as it may seem, either. I have paid for lessons, and will continue to when I feel very stuck.

But I bet I can get into the 90's first! (And I want to try!)

We shall see, and yes, this may well pass.

I really think the effective removal of mental and physical tension from my swing is a WAY bigger deal than any other change to my game since a pro that I got a lesson from got me to stop swaying on the backswing.

(That was ROUGH!)

My hypotheses is that with a bit more putting practice, ill be right where I need to be, sometime this summer.

I will definitely keep you all posted, and start a My Swing thread. I promise.

And ill be glad to eat crow if and when I'm proved wrong!

Cheers all!

This has already been said, but if you're serious about playing good golf, you really need to take lessons. In my opinion, one of the biggest reasons is, is that the longer you swing with your current swing, the more ingrained your bad habits are going to be. That is going to make it even hard to make changes in the future, which will lead to more frustration, which will lead to you thinking you're better off without an instructor, which will lead to ingraining further bad habits, which will lead to....you get my point.

I've been playing for 2.5 years. I'm not really sure what my handicap would be because I just don't have time to play full rounds of golf (I have a 10 month old...enough said). But, I have a long term plan to become a single digit handicapper and I'm pretty dedicated to improving. Right now, I spend about an 1 to 1.5 hours everyday in basement practicing my swing (I swing into a net, use mirrors, and have aids that show me if I'm on plane or not). I also get to the driving range about 2 to 3 times per week. I have had instructions from the get go, have read tons of books, and have 3 sets of DVDs (5SK's, S&T;, and Jim Hardy). When I practice, I really put a lot of effort into making sure that I'm doing things correctly and try to incorporate in my lesson. It has seemed like for months I've gone the opposite way and thought I was getting worse.

Having instructions and trying to swing correctly takes a lot of work and has been very, very frustrating at times. I've spent a lot of time on the range hacking at balls and hitting really bad shots after lessons and other players going "what the hell is this guy doing?". I'm sure I would have hit better earlier, without those lessons. HOWEVER, things are starting to click for me and all the hard work is starting to pay off. Now, when I hit balls, other players are very surprised that I've only been playing golf for as long as I have. My point is that there is NO WAY I would be where I'm at without an instructor. I'm not saying that I'm a good golfer, just that I know I'm way further along in my ability then I would have been without instruction and if I just tried to play golf "the natural way".

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm definitely not against lessons. Had them before, and will again! In the meantime.. In excited to report that focusing on the target, and swinging easy has started to show some promise.
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by sofingaw

I'm definitely not against lessons. Had them before, and will again!

In the meantime.. In excited to report that focusing on the target, and swinging easy has started to show some promise.

One of the most recent lessons focused on trying to relax my grip and take tension out of my swing. I was hitting most of the right positions on video, but because I was trying so hard and tensing up, my shots where really crappy. Once I started relaxing and trusting my swing, I was striking the ball WAY better. Funny how that works. :) So, I can definitely appreciate the merit of swinging easy.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • 2016 TST Partners

    GAME Golf
    PING Golf
    Lowest Score Wins
  • Posts

    • It looks like the same scenario as DJ and Wattel in the open. Proximity of the golfer on the ground deforms the ground and it rolls off the blades of grass it was perched on. I think it's a bad penalty, because it's essentially random, though much more likely on very fast & sloped greens.
    • I liked Chappell as a possible pick early in the playoffs. He's a solid ballstriker with good length and the original 8 were a little thin there. If his putting has come alive during the playoffs (he's 'found' something) and his birdie average has bumped up then he would be a solid pick IMO. I think he'd be more of a contributor in fourball than foursomes with relatively weaker putting / short game than guys already on the team. Berger seems to have the most balanced game of the remaining pick options. McGirt and Woodland wouldn't be bad picks either. Justin Thomas may be a good 'chemistry' pick, but his stats for the year seem like he's got a very 'hit or miss' style of game. Maybe he was saving it for the end of the season, though? Moore would be an okay pick, but I expect he's a little short for Hazeltine (ballstriking is not his strength) and the squad already has Sneds and Zach. Duf wouldn't be a bad pick either if his game is on form and his putting has warmed up a bit.
    • On the penalty assessed to Justin Thomas, this will lead all golfers to mark their ball before putting anything but a tap in.  If he marks the ball and the places the ball back down, the ball probably won't move as it did.  With millions on the line, a player needs to mark the ball and inspect the putting surface.  Just a bad rule in my opinion but the ruling was correct.  Guilty until proven innocent.
    • If it is a municipal (city owned) course there may be no support from the city to maintain it beyond the absolute minimum. Truth is, cities have budgets and there is no money appropriated to improve it.  It really is a vicious circle.  Poorer conditions result in fewer rounds being played.  Costs out weigh revenue, rates are raised so even fewer people play the course and that results in less revenue.  It becomes an anchor on the city budget and easy prey for an investor.  So many muni courses have disappeared. John
    • After reading all these stories of how rarely it has happened to you guys I feel like an absolute menace on the golf course.   First time I ever hit into a group in front of me it was a blind approach into the green.  I drove my cart to the top of the hill to get a line on the flag.  One guy was getting his ball out of the hole and another guy was carrying the flag back to the hole.  I figured that by the time I got back to my ball they would be gone.  I lined up my shot, took several practice swings, checked my line again, and then blasted a beautiful, high, straight shot over the hill, right on line at the flag.  Pulled back up the hill and saw they were still putting.  Went up to apologise, and they congratulated me on a great shot.  He said it clipped the brim of his hat as he was tapping in and checked up a foot from the cup.  They also insisted that I play thru. Second time I did it on that course I sliced my drive two fairways over and hit into a cart on the move up the cart path. It rattled around in the cart and they both dove out of the cart for cover. Happened a few times on my home course too.  Several holes have blind drives and approaches due to all the hills in East Tennessee.  When play is slow you inevitably catch someone in a blind spot.  I got stuck behind a slow group one day and had to wait for ever shot from the 4th hole on.  By the 6th a young twosome had caught up to my group because of the slow play in front of us.  By the back nine they started getting impatient and driving onto us.  On hole 14 the preferred shot is to hit 170-200 yard layup from the tee to leave a 130-160 yard uphill shot into a blind green.  I was about 150 yards out waiting on the green to clear when they teed off.  Their ball rolled right up to my feet.  I turned around angry and hit their ball right back at them.  I was so ticked I blasted my 150 yard club at least 200 yards back at them flying over their head and into the woods behind the tees.  Didn't see them anymore that day.
  • TST Blog Entries

  • Images

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. Dresilved
      Dresilved
      (51 years old)
    2. kpetrina
      kpetrina
      (24 years old)
    3. Luana
      Luana
      (38 years old)
  • Blog Entries