IGNORED

What's your most inconsistent club?

tuffluck
Note: This thread is 3979 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. What's your most inconsistent club?

• Driver
    • 3-9 Wood
    • Hybrid(s)
    • 3-5 Iron
    • 6-9 Iron
    • Wedges
    • Putter

My putter is a strange club... I have days when everything goes in.  But I have some days when absolutely nothing goes in.  I look back at a scorecard and see and 81.  It could have easily been 75 or 76 on a good putting day.

3-wood.  Im all over the place with it and never really know where the ball will end up with it.  I recently picked up an older 4-wood in the hopes that it will be an easier to hit club.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Driver, it's mostly mental though, I hit it fine on the range but tense up on the course.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

1000% driver - right now it is costing me 10-15 strokes a round. Before the last couple of weeks, I cant remember the last time I hit 3 off of the tee -  it has gotten so bad that I am going to attempt to tee off with a 3 wood this weekend

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Driver.  Driver. Driver.  I quit hitting it because it just cost me too many strokes - don't even carry it anymore.  Can probably hit the 3 wood farther than I can the driver anyway.

Most inconsistent - Short little pitch shots - 40 yards and in.  Working it better due to some threads here on the sandtrap now.  Learning a closed face 'chip' shot for less than perfect lies too.

I think having both those swings in my bag is critical to get to the next level.

next most - putter - great days and bad days

anything from a half swing to a full swing is going great - I absolutely love my driver

Up and down's are over half my handicap now.

It's really the difference for me - when that game is on, I'm close to par (last game was on and played one under).  When that game is off - as much as full bogie golf (last game was off was more than bogie over - ouch).

So now the goal is to make 'up and down' my strongest part of my game instead of my weakest.  It's kind of fun to work this aspect really.

Bill - 

Wedges are my most inconsistent.  Some days great, other days chunky, way too high, hosel rockets, you name it.

Driver/3W and putter are usually my strengths.  I sometimes hate playing shorter courses because my strength (driver) then sets me up for my weakness (wedges in).

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Wedges are my most inconsisten t.  Some days great, other days chunky, way too high, hosel rockets, you name it. Driver/3W and putter are usually my strengths.  I sometimes hate playing shorter courses because my strength (driver) then sets me up for my weakness (wedges in).

Yup! Shot 87 last weekend with only 28 putts. I hit some great wedges, only problem was they came directly after some horrible wedges! :)

my get up and go musta got up and went..

Originally Posted by jetsknicks1

Yup! Shot 87 last weekend with only 28 putts. I hit some great wedges, only problem was they came directly after some horrible wedges! :)

A wise golfer told me last weekend that the key is simply learning to hit your 2nd shot the first time.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

A wise golfer told me last weekend that the key is simply learning to hit your 2nd shot the first time. a2_wink.gif

Well that explains it! :)

my get up and go musta got up and went..

Been playing golf over 50 years, no doubt it is the driver.

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

Originally Posted by dfreuter415

Been playing golf over 50 years, no doubt it is the driver.

maybe you should buy a new driver... ; )

Bill - 

Originally Posted by BuckeyeNut

Long clubs aren't as relevant.....so consider yourself lucky.............

i disagree.

My last round (9 holes) I shot a 47 /w 3 penalty strokes and 2 punch out recovery shots.  All of those were a result of the driver or long club on the approach shots (mostly unplayable lies where they were in the woods, but I found it and had to take a penalty drop.

So that means my 47 would be a 42~43 without any improvement in putting or chipping.  The long clubs cause problems with lost balls and penalty shots.

In my bag:

some golf clubs

a few golf balls

a bag of tee's some already broken the rest soon to be

a snickers wrapper (if you have seen me play, you would know you are not going anywhere for a while)

and an empty bottle of water

Driver - no doubt about it.

I play RBZ driver and 3 wood.  The 3wood is probably one of the best clubs in my bag.  The difference between it and the driver, I don't have to think about it...I just hit it.  With the driver, it is like an internal battle to make sure of my setup, stance, etc to hit a halfway decent drive.  Honestly, I hit the 3wood almost as far as the driver.  Some of my best rounds are when I decide to only hit driver on par 4 holes in excess of 400 yards long and only on par 5s if there is a realistic chance I can get home in 2.

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

Originally Posted by BuckeyeNut

Long clubs aren't as relevant.....so consider yourself lucky.............

Not to hijack, but I can't resist.  This isn't even an opinion I disagree with.  It's plain false.  It's been proven that among pros it's the long shots that separate players in the long run.

Among amateurs there's not the data for such nice analyses, but come on.  What range of scores is your worst 1/4 of rounds over the past year.  NONE of those days were you piping the tee shot down the middle every time and stiffing the approaches.  Probably some of those days you were putting and hitting green side shots at least alright.

For me, I ONLY shoot over 90 when the long clubs fail, missing most fairways, lots of chip outs and punches up towards the green and missed approaches when I do hit a good tee shot.  If I'm feeling the long clubs, hitting most fairways and most greens when I have an open look for the approach, I NEVER shoot over 90.  Even if I putt like crap maybe I'll hit what, 37 putts instead of 31.  If I hit 13 greens and am striking the long clubs well so my missed greens are near the green, then on a crappy wedge day maybe I only get up and down 1/5 times from just off the green instead of 2-3 times on a solid wedge/putting day.  That still puts me in the low 80s, not the 90s.

This is a silly golf myth.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Oh, and I voted driver.  Really the long clubs are relatively similarly inconsistent, but if they're not working, a miss with a 3i off the tee that's just in the rough is probably on the next fairway or buried in the trees with a driver, so the results are more inconsistent with the driver, even if the error relative to distance hit is similar.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Originally Posted by Stretch

Five iron. Four I hit fine, six I hit fine, five is perennially squirrelly. A while ago, in frustration, I even had a five hybrid made up. And I hit that badly, too.

Same here.  Four iron and six iron are comfortable distances but I can hit the 5 iron to places Christopher Columbus wouldn't venture!

If I use my most lofted wedge (either a 58 or 60, depending) for full shots, that is the most inconsistent club.

RC

Note: This thread is 3979 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!