IGNORED

Rocco Mediate's story about Tiger Woods.

BostonBrew
Note: This thread is 3721 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Bump-n-MI

His competitive edge does not come from whispering sweet nothings in his competitors ears nor does it come from breaking bread with them outside the ropes.

Ha, I like this sentence.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by Bump-n-MI

He is a pompous, self-indulged ass but I don’t watch golf to see how friendly the players are to each other.  Tiger is not obligated to appease Rocco’s multiple requests.  Hell, he should be flattered Tiger acknowledged him at all.  Bottom line…Tiger is the most captivating and riveting athlete in sports today.  His competitive edge does not come from whispering sweet nothings in his competitors ears nor does it come from breaking bread with them outside the ropes.

I like your style. I don't understand why people get so personally offended when people do not behave the way they think is the only way.

• Upvote 1

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Valleygolfer

I like your style. I don't understand why people get so personally offended when people do not behave the way they think is the only way.

Agreed.  The best athletes in any sport are not know for being great guys to hang with.  They are incredible competitors and that is their focus.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Originally Posted by Robert Knobel

well put: "why do people get so personally offended when people do not behave the way they think is the only way?" its called control freak

It is more like a narrow perspective. Certain individuals believe the world will come crashing down if their political, religious or sexual beliefs are compromised. The truth is the reverse, acceptance world make the world thrive. Now back to our regularly scheduled programming...

• Upvote 1

You know, I watched that Feherty episode and when I heard the story about what Tiger did it really didn't surprise me... don't really care who likes him or not but I can see him doing something like that. It's almost like he doesn't want to be friendly with anyone not named Mark O'Meara. It's like he has a shield up. Unfortunately no matter how great a golfer he is it's going to stick with his legacy as a player. I do enjoy watching him play, but no matter how hard I try, I like the golfer, but don't like the guy.

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

Originally Posted by saturday

You know, I watched that Feherty episode and when I heard the story about what Tiger did it really didn't surprise me... don't really care who likes him or not but I can see him doing something like that. It's almost like he doesn't want to be friendly with anyone not named Mark O'Meara. It's like he has a shield up. Unfortunately no matter how great a golfer he is it's going to stick with his legacy as a player. I do enjoy watching him play, but no matter how hard I try, I like the golfer, but don't like the guy.

They said the same thing about Nick Faldo. Was kind of a jerk during his competitive days. And this has been touched on already - many of the game's greats were kind of dicks in their competitive years. My Gawd - can you imagine if Ben Hogan was playing today? He would be totally vilified by the press & his fellow competitors for not 'being nice.'

Look, Tiger does what he believes he needs to do to win tournaments. His goal out there isn't to make friends or even to be liked. He's there to win tournaments & beat Jack's records. And aside from that, he definitely has grace - he shakes his competitors hands, he answers questions in press conferences, he smiles.

If we're expecting something beyond that, then we are the ones with the problem, not him.

Originally Posted by zipazoid

Quote:

They said the same thing about Nick Faldo. Was kind of a jerk during his competitive days. And this has been touched on already - many of the game's greats were kind of dicks in their competitive years. My Gawd - can you imagine if Ben Hogan was playing today? He would be totally vilified by the press & his fellow competitors for not 'being nice.'

Look, Tiger does what he believes he needs to do to win tournaments. His goal out there isn't to make friends or even to be liked. He's there to win tournaments & beat Jack's records. And aside from that, he definitely has grace - he shakes his competitors hands, he answers questions in press conferences, he smiles.

If we're expecting something beyond that, then we are the ones with the problem, not him.

Faldo is not a jerk anymore?

Originally Posted by Valleygolfer

Faldo is not a jerk anymore?

Good point.

But according to people who have known him for a long time, he's nothing like he was when he was on the tour.

. And aside from that, he definitely has grace - he shakes his competitors hands, he answers questions in press conferences, he smiles.

There was an ESPN golf article this week that had a user-comment that offered somewhat of a "behind-the-scenes"anecdote that was worth reading.  Of course, it could be made up but it sounded authentic.  I'll try and find it.

Couldn't find it, because I'm not sure which article it was.  The gist of it was that a guy took a wrong turn and got access to some back-door type area where players exited the clubhouse around some fans and family, but no media members.  The guy watched as many players left and greeted their families and didn't sign any autographs or talk with fans except two guys: Tiger & Phil.  He said they both stayed and signed a ton of autographs, but the main differences between the two were as follows:

1) Phil was much more talkative with the fans and had his own sharpie (whatever that means?)

2) Tiger signed every kids autograph but not every adult, and wasn't as talkative and sociable.

He said when Tiger finally walked past him he noticed scrapes and scratches on his forearm from all of the people grabbing at him for autographs, but that Tiger never grew restless or frustrated by it, and that it completely changed his impression of Tiger.  He already thought Phil was a classy guy who spent time with fans because he saw it all the time on camera, but he assumed Tiger was an a**hole who never took the time.

Take that for what it's worth, I suppose.  It's not intended to prove anything except offer another perspective.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by bplewis24

There was an ESPN golf article this week that had a user-comment that offered somewhat of a "behind-the-scenes"anecdote that was worth reading.  Of course, it could be made up but it sounded authentic.  I'll try and find it.

Couldn't find it, because I'm not sure which article it was.  The gist of it was that a guy took a wrong turn and got access to some back-door type area where players exited the clubhouse around some fans and family, but no media members.  The guy watched as many players left and greeted their families and didn't sign any autographs or talk with fans except two guys: Tiger & Phil.  He said they both stayed and signed a ton of autographs, but the main differences between the two were as follows:

1) Phil was much more talkative with the fans and had his own sharpie (whatever that means?)

2) Tiger signed every kids autograph but not every adult, and wasn't as talkative and sociable.

He said when Tiger finally walked past him he noticed scrapes and scratches on his forearm from all of the people grabbing at him for autographs, but that Tiger never grew restless or frustrated by it, and that it completely changed his impression of Tiger.  He already thought Phil was a classy guy who spent time with fans because he saw it all the time on camera, but he assumed Tiger was an a**hole who never took the time.

Take that for what it's worth, I suppose.  It's not intended to prove anything except offer another perspective.

The kids are less likely to turn around and sell the autographs on ebay for profit. Lotta pro-athletes do this.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

It's almost like he doesn't want to be friendly with anyone not named Mark O'Meara. It's like he has a shield up.

Are Tiger and O'Meara still friends?  I don't think I've heard of them doing anything together since the scandal breaking and the split with Elin. I have a real vague recollection of seeing something that O"Meara said about Tiger post-scandal that was very critical - did I remember that correctly?

In my bag: - Ping G20 driver, 10.5 deg. S flex - Ping G20 3W, 15 deg., S flex - Nickent 4dx 3H, 4H - Nike Slingshot 4-PW - Adams Tom Watson 52 deg. GW - Vokey 58 deg. SW -Ping Half Wack-E putter

You're right, he doesn't have to do more than he does. I think as fans we sometimes just expect more from our role models or those we follow. At the end of the day you're right he does shake hands, answer the press, etc. I just hope as Tiger gets older he gets nicer, not crankier hehehe because the older I'm getting the crankier I am haha.

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

Originally Posted by bplewis24

Sharpie is one of the types of marker most commonly used for signing autographs, and marking golf balls.

[QUOTE name="bplewis24" url="/t/67029/rocco-mediates-story-about-tiger-woods/72#post_847782"] 1) Phil was much more talkative with the fans and had his own sharpie (whatever that means?) [/QUOTE] Sharpie is one of the types of marker most commonly used for signing autographs, and marking golf balls.

I don't think that was the question. I think he was meant to question what the importance was from it.

Sharpie is one of the types of marker most commonly used for signing autographs, and marking golf balls.

Sharpie...?? Hmmmmm??? Isn't that what Terrelll Owens pulled out of his sock?

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

You're right, he doesn't have to do more than he does. I think as fans we sometimes just expect more from our role models or those we follow. At the end of the day you're right he does shake hands, answer the press, etc. I just hope as Tiger gets older he gets nicer, not crankier hehehe because the older I'm getting the crankier I am haha.

My guess is he will, if he follows the same model others have done once their playing days ended. Though he may go the Hogan route, who became darn near a recluse. Who knows?

But again, I will debate those who think he needs to be "nicer" now. Yeah, he doesn't do beers with his competitors between rounds, but so what? He meets all his obligations in a professional manner. Every time I've seen him being interviewed after a round, he politely answers all questions, not with monosyllabic grunts but with thoughtful replies. And he stands there awaiting the next question until Feherty or whoever says, "Thanks Tiger," and then he says something like "You bet, thanks," then he leaves. He does the same thing in the press tent. Does he get testy at times? Sure. But again, he will sit there and answer all questions calmly and professionally until he is excused.

So I will ask - what more are you expecting out of him?

I kinda chuckle how Hogan went through his career not saying five words to a competitor during a round & was, at best, reticent in interviews...and they called that the 'Hogan Mystique,' but if Tiger cuts one person short or misses an autograph he's not nice enough.

Note: This thread is 3721 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!