IGNORED

Embarrassing Golf Moments?

2PuttShakur
Note:Β This thread is 3802 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

What is your most embarrassing golf moment? Β Or just one you remember? Β Today, though it wasn't on the course, my chemistry teacher had a chipping contest going on on the football field, from just in front of the endzone and we were trying to get it closest to the center at the 50 yard line. Β I am not an amazing golfer, usually a high forties shooter on nine holes, but I love to play and he knows I play for the school. Β There were some other students and science teachers there, and I was really nervous and I don't do great under pressure (I need to get better at that). Β I went up ther eand didn't even think about what I should try and do because I was nervous, and I hit it straight but really thin with too much wrist action and it flew way past the 50 yard line. Β I don't usually hit pitch shots like that, obviously, it was a terrible shot. Β I had played pretty well the day before too at our last practice.

A couple years ago I was teeing off on hole number one.Β  There was many spectators at the club house and on the putting green.Β  I proceeded to hit a drive off the very heel of the club.Β  It pulled straight left and smacked off the club house.Β  Oops.

I was playing with a few classmates for the first time. I had talked up how good i was in a joking manner( i really am pretty good). On number one i went and hit it about 10 yards, major topper. Went on to shoot an 84, but it got off to a rough start.

I putted out and walked off the back of the green to pee.Β  There was a fence with heavy vine growth.....I decided this was a nice place to pee in semi-privacy.Β  As I relieved myself, an old lady popped up from behind and our faces were not 5 feet apart.Β  I said something to the effect of..... "I'm really sorry, I didn't see you there" ..... she said something to the effect of...It's OK...and walked away.........LOL

It was embarrassing.............there was a garden on the other side of the fence, and she was gardening not 5 feet from where I was taking a massive whizzz...LOL....gotta hate it when that happens!!

• Upvote 2

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big BerthaΒ Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
-Β CallawayΒ Big BerthaΒ 4-5 Rescue Clubs
--Β Mizuno Mx-25 sixΒ iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Last year I was playing a course for the first time and we came to a long par 5. The hole looked like a dogleg left from the way the trees looked with a lane cut through the trees toward the left.

I hit a good tee shot right down the middle and when I got to my ball I could see a group on what I thought was the green around the dogleg to the left. I waited for them to leave and hit a really nice draw with my 3 wood right down the dogleg.

When I got close to my ball I realized I had just hit the ball to a tee box and nowhere near the green for the hole I was playing. What made it worse was another group was just showing up at that tee box and I didn't have a shot except to hit another 3 wood back down the same lane I had just come from and start from my fairway again.

I bet they thought I was the biggest idiot that ever showed up on a golf course...And in that case I would have to agree with them.

• Upvote 1

haha...MS256 reminded me of a story.

The hole:

555yd par5........ It's 320yd drive to a ravine that bisects the hole, and I hit a big drive and rolled onto a steep down-slope in deep grass...sheesh!!! . It's a rare fluke I drive the ball that far.!!..........Β  The ball was sitting just good enough to hack it forward and out......and I did.Β  I had a 4-iron third shot to the green and hit an absolute shank-ROCKET! (I'm a lefty)Β  Immediately to my left is a par3 green and a group of women were putting out...(regulars that know me).............my approach is steeply uphill, but the par3 teebox is blocked from view and sits much lower.Β  I hit a TIN-CUP shot....and the women must have been watching me because they immediately screamed "FORE" towards the par3 tee--box before I could comprehend what even happened...LOL

I swallowed my pride and found my ball while the guys were still on the tee box 40yds left of my intended target.Β Β  I pulled a 60deg wedge and thanks to my laser......left myself an 8ft par putt....but I missed it..

With that said....this was embarrassing...LOLΒ Β  The women who yelled fore knew I was a scratch golfer at that time, so the had to be surprised to see that shot........LOL

For me...the shanks are the most demoralizing thing in the game........

• Upvote 1

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big BerthaΒ Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
-Β CallawayΒ Big BerthaΒ 4-5 Rescue Clubs
--Β Mizuno Mx-25 sixΒ iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

• 6 months later...

We all hit bad shots at inopportune moments.Β  What really left me red faced was giving the wrong score for the previous hole during a tournament.Β  Our group was walking off the green and my marker asked me what I had for the hole.Β  I knew it was bogey and said "5".Β  He sort of looked at me a bit odd.Β  Another player said he had "6" and so did my marker.Β  At that point I remembered we were playing a par 5 and thus a bogey was "6" not "5".Β  I quickly corrected what I had said to the marker and explained my momentary lapse in thinking a bogey was "5".Β  Frankly, trying to cheat by giving the wrong score is pretty low and I suspect my marker had a few uncharitable thoughts about me before I realized the error and made the correction.Β  He also might have watched me a bit closer the balance of the round!

Brian Kuehn

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This happened a long time ago, but I remember playing with an old college buddy of mine not too far from where we went to school (Cobbs Creek for those familiar with the Philadelphia area). Don't recall the exact hole # but it was a sharp dogleg to the left and I ended up slicing it even sharper to the right. Oh well, not the first ball I'd lost before so didn't think much of it at the time. At the last hole, I remember walking off the green and there was the marshal standing next to a lady and her young daughter. The marshal was holding a golf ball and asked if it was ours, I couldn't lie and confirmed that it was. Turns out I sliced it into a pretty busy road and it hit this poor lady's car while she was driving (shattered her windshield, thankfully she was OK but it must have scared the heck out of her)...the best part was trying to explain it to the insurance company (who knew I was covered for something like that...haha).

I've definitely hit plenty of bad shots, shanks are the worse, but the most embarrassing moment I can remember, was as a junior golfer (I was 17)Β on a local Muni in Maine during the summer. Β There were no tee times and you had to get in line to get the tee times in the morning. Β So me and a couple of the guys from the golf team decide we would like to get there early to play, as we had to work early afternoon. Β And of course we got the first tee time, you could hear all of the old guys complainingΒ while we were waiting for them to allow us to go. Β First guy hits a decent enough drive in the middle of the fairway, but the second guy definitelyΒ wasn't up to hitting a shot with so many people standing there watching and you could hear them talking under their breath about those damn kids.

Of course, he hits, which today is still probably the worst shot I've ever seen.

He was a leftyΒ and hit it off the heel between his legs, between me and my other friend and hits the bag of one of theΒ next guys in line. Β His second drive didn't go much better but at least it went forward. Β LOL

I actually hit my drive really well, luckily, and once we got going no one ever waited for us but boy was that embarrassing at the time. Β And my drive may have been one of the most nervous I ever had to hit.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

First tee shot at tryouts this year I pulled a 3-wood off the tee to avoid OB on the left at the distance my driver lands at. Proceeded to top it to just past the ladies tee right in front of the whole team as someone who made varsity last year. I managed to walk away with a bit of a lucky par which made it seem funny, but it was terribly embarrassing at the time. I actually did it twice that round, counting the first hole, before I realized I was looking to see where the ball went before I actually hit it.

About a year ago, my normal group in our men's club was unavailable, so our tournament director added me as a single to another group. I had never met the guys before, but they were all nice enough and all fairly decent golfers (indexes between 10-14). I was sporting a 9 index at the time, so they all laughed and thanked their lucky stars to have an "A" player in their group as we exchanged introductions on the first tee. Well, the good natured ribbing stopped when I toed my tee shot sideways into the netting separating the driving range from hole 1. I was literally centimeters from missing the ball altogether. I never recovered mentally from that shot and proceeded to shoot a 95, for a net 85. I can only presume those poor guys thought I was the worst vanity capper in the entire mens club.

I packed up my clubs a few weeks ago due to cold weather and recent snow, but a few days ago it went up to 17 degrees, and my local range was still open. Managed to hit the ball on the opposite side of the shaft and hit myself in the shin with the ball. Clubs are now officially packed away for the winter...

I packed up my clubs a few weeks ago due to cold weather and recent snow, but a few days ago it went up to 17 degrees, and my local range was still open. Managed to hit the ball on the opposite side of the shaft and hit myself in the shin with the ball. Clubs are now officially packed away for the winter...

I once was taking a lesson in the spring after not playing for 3 months and did this, but hit it between my legs on a golf hole lined by houses. It had some good velocity even with the weird hit (as I'm sure your bruised shin can attest to) and it managed to hit a tee marker and bounce up into someone's window. The person came out to yell at me until he saw where I was standing and saw that the window wasn't broken. He just laughed with us as he tried to figure out how I managed to hit his window from the tee box perpendicular to his house.

Mine happened just this past season. Β The club I belong to was playing a Ryder Cup type match against another club in which I was not a participant. Β I went out as a single on #1 as the matches were making the turn, so there were a number of folks from both clubs near the tenth tee, which is adjacent to the 1st tee.Β  Β I swung a little tooΒ much to the outside and just barely caught the ball on the heel. Β It ricocheted off of the fence separating the tees, clanged off the ball washer up by a more forward tee, and ended up in fairly think rough about 40 yards from the tee. Β I felt like such an idiot.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

I'd been invited to go out with the golf club that meets once a month at different courses in the area. These are folks I don't know and there are a range of handicaps. I shoot in the low 90's, but somehow had been put on the paperwork as a 5, so the group that I had been assigned to was interested to meet me until I told (and showed) them that I was not a 5, not even close.

But the thing that embarrassed me was on the second hole I walked up to my ball on the green and just picked it up without marking it. Like, what the hell? I know how to do this, the mark was in my other hand. Everyone was like "...uh, you wanna mark that?". I replaced my ball, marked it properly and finished the hole. Then to make it worse, I gave myself a 2 stroke penalty which I now know should have been 1 stroke. I think I was just nervous to be out with a bunch I folks that I didn't know, regardless of how friendly and welcoming they were. It was not a very good round for a 106...ugg. I have much more experience with playing with strangers now and I doubt that this would be a problem again.

Why do they call golf "golf"?Β  Because all the other four letter words were taken.

I shall set the scene: I had not been golfing too long, had just put a decent swing together but was still not hitting good shots often enough. So it is the first time I had played my home course, in the middle of the 8th fairway with the 15th running parallel left. I saw a group on the green, preceded to line up and once they were far enough away I hit probably the cleanest shot I had until then, about 20 ft from the hole. Rather pleased with myself I turn round to my playing partner who was in tears... I think you can guess what had happened ;)

Mine happened just this past season. Β The club I belong to was playing a Ryder Cup type match against another club in which I was not a participant. Β I went out as a single on #1 as the matches were making the turn, so there were a number of folks from both clubs near the tenth tee, which is adjacent to the 1st tee.Β  Β I swung a little tooΒ much to the outside and just barely caught the ball on the heel. Β It ricocheted off of the fence separating the tees, clanged off the ball washer up by a more forward tee, and ended up in fairly think rough about 40 yards from the tee. Β I felt like such an idiot.

I had one like that last week. We had built a new multi-tiered tee box and the grass hadn't grown in very good yet but the owner was anxious to use it. He went ahead and put the tee markers very close to the back of the second tier. Problem is that it was still slightlyΒ on the downhill slopeΒ  between tiers.

That isn't a problem for some people but I never liked a 220 yard carry across the water with a 5 wood off of a downhill slope (even a slight one).

When I hit my shot it hit off of the heel and went at about a 45 degree angle to the left and barely missed my playing partner still sitting in the golf cart talkingΒ on his cell phone.

I feltΒ terrible (and embarrassed). Haven't hit a shot that bad with a fairway wood in years (and maybe ever). I'm standing there feeling like a complete idiot and then my playing partner gets up to hit his shot and does the exact same thing firing the ball right through the golf cart right where I would have been sitting.

That was the first time I ever saw two players go back to back off of the heel and through a golf cart, and I'm still embarrassed that I was one of them.

I had one like that last week. We had built a new multi-tiered tee box and the grass hadn't grown in very good yet but the owner was anxious to use it. He went ahead and put the tee markers very close to the back of the second tier. Problem is that it was still slightlyΒ on the downhill slopeΒ  between tiers.

That isn't a problem for some people but I never liked a 220 yard carry across the water with a 5 wood off of a downhill slope (even a slight one).

When I hit my shot it hit off of the heel and went at about a 45 degree angle to the left and barely missed my playing partner still sitting in the golf cart talkingΒ on his cell phone.

I feltΒ terrible (and embarrassed). Haven't hit a shot that bad with a fairway wood in years (and maybe ever). I'm standing there feeling like a complete idiot and then my playing partner gets up to hit his shot and does the exact same thing firing the ball right through the golf cart right where I would have been sitting.

That was the first time I ever saw two players go back to back off of the heel and through a golf cart, and I'm still embarrassed that I was one of them.

That's the time to turn around and say "Stop talking on the phone or next time I won't try to miss you!" :-)

• Upvote 1

Note:Β This thread is 3802 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!