IGNORED

Ban Belly Putters?

Note: This thread is 4165 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Should long putters (belly, chin, chest, etc.) be banned?

• Yes
    • No

I dont understand why people are so quick to discredit and want to ban equipment that works or gives another player a competitive edge… Its not an "advantage" its just an edge. Meaning someone may putt better with a belly putter or a long putter because its more comfortable for them (i.e. back issues, etc…) or it fits their eye and helps them align better. Its no different than having an adjustable driver or a longer than 45" driver. People take an adjustable driver and if set at nuetral they slice it just like any other driver, but once they adjust it to draw, etc... then they hit it straight or correct their miss enough to stay in the fairway. Now that player is taking an edge also because whereas they would normally be playing from the rough constantly or taking an OB drop often, theyre now in play in the fairway. This alone can bring a high 20+ handicap player down to a 15 or lower handicap because keeping the ball in play is huge! Why aren't people getting all up in arms over the adjustable driver movement? 3 years ago there were only a couple adjustable drivers out there, and now, EVERY manufacturer sells one.

If Scotty Cameron makes one, then its legal in my book… Hahaha

In my Ogio bag.

Titleist 910D2 driver, Adams irons & hybrid, Callaway wedges & a Nike Method putter.

And a yellow ball.

The great irony of life: "If nobody gets out alive, what's holding you back!?"

Originally Posted by sean_miller

People have an enormous capacity to be useless

LOL. Thanks, that made my day.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It's the manufacturers pushing for more relaxed driver specifications as they believe the current drivers are near max performance given the current rules.  The change in golf balls is being pushed by course owners and some in the USGA who feel pro's hit the ball too far.  They want to roll back the rules regarding golf balls so guys like Bubba can't hit a Par 4 green off the tee.  I agree with you, but it appears many want to make the game simpler/easier for non-pro's and not lengthen courses for the pro's.

If someone with a modern driver and low compression ball still needs more distance, that person needs to learn how to swing the club faster and hit the ball on the button. People have an enormous capacity to be useless and a longer ball / driver combo will only reset the baseline. Bad golfers will always find a way to be bad. Go back and give someone in the 1970s a decent 2012 ball and driver combination and they won't believe it when you tell them how many adult males still can't hit the ball > 200yards.

Joe Paradiso

Use on or don't. You'd be surprised at how much I don't care what the dude in front me is putting with, or playing with at all. Scratch playing diablo's, 36 capper playing blades, range owner using gardening tools. I would care about the whole pace of play thing with the 36 capper using blades, but when Im out on the course, I am in NO rush to leave. That's what I dont get. You're out there, why want to get it over with. Anyways, back to the topic, don't care either way about belly putters, you still have to make a solid shoulder stroke, it's not a magic wand.

"It's better to burn out than to fade away." -Kurt Cobain

Originally Posted by newtogolf

It's the manufacturers pushing for more relaxed driver specifications as they believe the current drivers are near max performance given the current rules.  The change in golf balls is being pushed by course owners and some in the USGA who feel pro's hit the ball too far.  They want to roll back the rules regarding golf balls so guys like Bubba can't hit a Par 4 green off the tee.  I agree with you, but it appears many want to make the game simpler/easier for non-pro's and not lengthen courses for the pro's.

Quote:

If someone with a modern driver and low compression ball still needs more distance, that person needs to learn how to swing the club faster and hit the ball on the button. People have an enormous capacity to be useless and a longer ball / driver combo will only reset the baseline. Bad golfers will always find a way to be bad. Go back and give someone in the 1970s a decent 2012 ball and driver combination and they won't believe it when you tell them how many adult males still can't hit the ball > 200yards.

I think everyone should have the same equipment standards. Why should a guy I'm playing against in a league match be able to drive the ball farther and straighter than his ability warrants? One game one ball. Otherwise it's not much of a sport in my opinion.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Pros having different standards (like the groove rules) wouldn't affect your league play. League play is more influenced by the players financial situation (compare a 600 driver with fitting to a 99 off the shelf one). Is that unfair? Yep but it has been part of the game forever.

I think everyone should have the same equipment standards. Why should a guy I'm playing against in a league match be able to drive the ball farther and straighter than his ability warrants? One game one ball. Otherwise it's not much of a sport in my opinion.

Originally Posted by x129

Pros having different standards (like the groove rules) wouldn't affect your league play. League play is more influenced by the players financial situation (compare a 600 driver with fitting to a 99 off the shelf one). Is that unfair? Yep but it has been part of the game forever.

Quote:

I suggested that golf should be played with one ball for all competitors. I don't really care about drivers to be honest.

And yes, being able to change the ball characteristics to fit the course and the player seems like a great idea for casual rounds with friends.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I agree, I prefer we all use the same equipment (or as close as we can) but the USGA seems more concerned about keeping older courses playable and keeping the equipment manufacturers happy.

Joe Paradiso

Tiger is not a fan of the belly putters. [QUOTE]Woods’ thoughts on the belly putter, which it doesn’t sound like he’d ever switch to: “I believe [putting] is the art of controlling the body and club and swinging the pendulum,” Woods said. “I’m a traditionalist when it comes to that. I’ve talked to [R&A; chief] Peter Dawson about this for a number of years. My idea was to have it so that the putter would be equal to or less than the shortest club in your bag.”[/QUOTE] http://tourreport.pgatour.com/2012/02/07/tiger-talks-progress-belly-putter-more/

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Toni Kukoc just traded in his putter at the Golfsmith I go to and it is at least 39" long.... I'll have them measure it the next time I go, because now I'm curious, would that be a banned length? I think belly putters should be banned because they are "anchored" to the body as some one else mentioned. Banning anything over a certain length could get tricky

:callaway: BB Alpha 815 DBD 10.5* Rogue Silver 60 :callaway: x2hot 3deep 14.5* (TBD) :tmade: RSI UDI 20* RIP Tour 90 :bridgestone: J40CB 4-PW Steelfiber i95 :vokey: SM4 50* KBS Tour V :vokey: SM5 54* KBS 610 :vokey: SM5 58* KBS HI-REV 2.0 MannKrafted Handmade Custom

Just going to add a little more of what Tiger said

Quote:
"I've never been a fan," said an affable and relaxed Woods during his press conference at Pebble Beach. "I believe putting is the art of controlling the body and club and swinging the pendulum motion. I believe that's how the game should be played."
"My idea was to have it so that the putter would be equal to or less than the shortest club in your bag," said Woods, who is making his 2012 PGA Tour debut this week at the AT&T; Pebble Beach National Pro-Am. "And I think with that, we'd be able to get away from any type of belly or long putter.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domenic View Post
you still have to make a solid shoulder stroke, it's not a magic wand.

That's basically the way I feel about it.  Just a different option for a player.  Like using a cavity back or muscle back, high torque vs low torque shaft.  The game is too hard already lol.  5 winners on tour so far, no long/belly putter winners.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Originally Posted by jpalermo

Toni Kukoc just traded in his putter at the Golfsmith I go to and it is at least 39" long.... I'll have them measure it the next time I go, because now I'm curious, would that be a banned length? I think belly putters should be banned because they are "anchored" to the body as some one else mentioned. Banning anything over a certain length could get tricky

"anchored" Hahahahahahaha. Psshh, You heard Nick Faldo whining about it on Golf channel, that's where you "heard" it.

My argument still stands... If belly putters are illegal then so are adjustable drivers...

In my Ogio bag.

Titleist 910D2 driver, Adams irons & hybrid, Callaway wedges & a Nike Method putter.

And a yellow ball.

The great irony of life: "If nobody gets out alive, what's holding you back!?"

Originally Posted by SVTGolfer

"anchored" Hahahahahahaha. Psshh, You heard Nick Faldo whining about it on Golf channel, that's where you "heard" it.

My argument still stands... If belly putters are illegal then so are adjustable drivers...

1) The term "anchored" has been used various places on Golf Channel, during tournaments, and here on this site.  You have no idea where he heard it.

2) Your argument is flawed.  There is a detriment to setting up an adjustable driver for a fade bias on holes where a shot would call for a draw.  The advantage isn't universal, and it doesn't affect the fundamental way the driver is swung.

Regardless, the Tour could always ban adjustable drivers if they wanted to, and I wouldn't care really.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

• Administrator

What's the argument? Because I don't see it.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

actually I've never heard nick Faldo say it. I used the "____" because I'm not sure that was the correct term to use. If they banned adjustable drivers it wouldnt be a big deal to me either had a 910D2 that I played on the standard setting. I have a 910 that I play on a standard setting.  my new driver is not adjustable. if my non adjustable driver is fit for me at 11.25 loft and 1* open. what's the difference if it's made that way or if I "adjust" it that way

:callaway: BB Alpha 815 DBD 10.5* Rogue Silver 60 :callaway: x2hot 3deep 14.5* (TBD) :tmade: RSI UDI 20* RIP Tour 90 :bridgestone: J40CB 4-PW Steelfiber i95 :vokey: SM4 50* KBS Tour V :vokey: SM5 54* KBS 610 :vokey: SM5 58* KBS HI-REV 2.0 MannKrafted Handmade Custom

We have had adjustable drivers for years....using lead tape, drilling the hosel to close or open the face and other tricks of the trade. So it really isn't new and has to be done before you tee it up...just like we did when adding gobs of lead tape to the heel to combat a slice...nothing really has changed. I have used a long (48") putter since 1994 and don't have a problem with the belly putters except the argument could be made that I have two contact points where the belly has three. Like anything, if it was the answer, everyone would be using it

• Upvote 1

PB
Canadian PGA Life Member
Peter Boyce Golf Academy
Strathroy, Ontario
:tmade:

I say ban the belly and long putter; should not be aloud to attach a club to your body.

:tmade: SLDRs 14* driver, 17* fairway, 19* and 22* hybrids | :odyssey: Versa White #1 putter

:nike: XR Pro 24*, 27*, 31*, 35.5*, 40*, 45*, 50* irons | :vokey: SM4 54*, 58* wedges

Note: This thread is 4165 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!