IGNORED

Ban Belly Putters?

Note: This thread is 4166 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Should long putters (belly, chin, chest, etc.) be banned?

• Yes
    • No

Originally Posted by Valleygolfer

I say keep em. Ban the anchor point. Club should not be in contact with the body.

So you don't like belly putters, but chin and chest ones are Ok. Why is that?

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Only if it matters - on this topic either you think these putters should be banned or not. Just wade right in. What's your view? Ban them or not?

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleygolfer View Post

I say keep em. Ban the anchor point. Club should not be in contact with the body.

So you don't like belly putters, but chin and chest ones are Ok. Why is that?

They would be included dink

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

As far as equipment that looks non-traditional (i.e. embarassing) I'd be okay with banning belly putters . . . right after they ban 460 cc drivers.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

They should be treated the same as the groove issue.... ban them after a certain period to give a transition period. When you use a belly or broomstick putter you have lost the battle,it's like bowing to the inevitable and wearing sweat pants all day. Instead of fixing the problem people take the easy option.

Originally Posted by Snakey

They should be treated the same as the groove issue.... ban them after a certain period to give a transition period. When you use a belly or broomstick putter you have lost the battle,it's like bowing to the inevitable and wearing sweat pants all day. Instead of fixing the problem people take the easy option.

Oh yeah, I forgot that belly putters were allowing players to approach the game in such a way that a lot of classic courses are becoming obsolete.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by sean_miller

Oh yeah, I forgot that belly putters were allowing players to approach the game in such a way that a lot of classic courses are becoming obsolete.

That's not why the grooves were changed. They were changed to re-shift a little more emphasis back to driving accuracy.

Also, this thread isn't about the grooves. :)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by pixel5

I voted yes because I just think they look dumb. I don't see many winners using long putters as compared to guys who use normal ones, so if there is an advantage it must have more to do with the head than the game itself.

You couldn't have been watching very closely.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

Ban em everywhere but the champions tour and senior tournaments.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

Has there ever been a study to show that anchoring a putter results in more accurate putts?  I don't believe that it gives you any sort of advantage.  The best players in the world putt traditionally and I think they always will.  Can you imagine Tiger being any better with a broomstick?

What's in my Micro Lite Bag:

Driver: RocketBallz Tour 9
3 Wood: V Steel 15 degree
3-PW: 762 DCIGW: CG 12 52 degree

SW/LW: spin milled 56/11, 60/7

Putter: 2 Ball 35"

If Tiger started with a broomstick at 4 and spend the past 30 years with it, sure I can imagine him being better. One of the putting guys (I wish I could remember who) has come out saying the top guys  like Tiger and Luke Donald strokes are better from a repeatibility point of view than the best anchored putter. Is that because the traditional stroke is better if you master it or is a result of if your an insanely good putter, you don't waste time looking at belly putters. I am guessing it is more of the latter than the former.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMac0223

Has there ever been a study to show that anchoring a putter results in more accurate putts?  I don't believe that it gives you any sort of advantage.  The best players in the world putt traditionally and I think they always will.  Can you imagine Tiger being any better with a broomstick?

• Administrator
Originally Posted by BMac0223

The people who use it clearly feel it's an advantage to them or they wouldn't be using them. Additionally, you could be a lousy putter with a regular putter but an average putter with a belly putter, so you'd see no "advantage" when looked at from the wide perspective but you'd have to look at individual results.

Regardless, advantage or not, that's not why I would ban them. I don't think it's a true "stroke" in the golf sense.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by sean_miller

As far as equipment that looks non-traditional (i.e. embarassing) I'd be okay with banning belly putters . . . right after they ban 460 cc drivers.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

As people get older, many start to have occasional hand tremors. This forms the physiological basis of the putting yips which many senior tour golfers complain of, as did retirees I once caddied for.

Golf has a problem of falling participation, over and above the discretionary-income shrinkage triggered by the recession. If golf wants to grow, it must make itself more attractive to participants.

Many early US golf holes emphasized bunkers toward the side and back to gather in gather shots which golfers rolled through the green.  Golf had much more of a ground game in the early 1900s than it does today. Then, US courses took a turn toward favoring a more lofted shot. This didn't destroy the game, it gave it more variety - US vs. British style

Circa 1930, Gene Sarazen invented the sand wedge: This clubhead carried a metal flange that allowed the club  to skim the surface of bunker sand rather than dig in. This made bunker shots less terrifying, but it did not destroy the game. Just ask Tiger and Graeme McD if bunker shots are still challenging.

Taking lofted shots a step further, golfers now have lob wedges of up to 64* or so to pop the ball up in the air from desperate lies of all varieties. This was a response to the arms race to make courses tougher with deeper bunkers, more plateau greens, and rough that gets fertilized and watered. I would cut off wedges at 56* loft to discourage the construction of overly brutal holes, but I don't have much support in the view. And, I don't lose sleep over it.

Now there's the issue of longer shafted putters. No evidence indicates that longer putter players are suddenly winning all the pro tournaments. And, longer putters evidently stabilize the stroke of older players, and players of lesser athletic ability. Maybe more fun on the greens will increase golf participation, increase number of rounds each year, and help stem the game's decline.

IF someone knows of 17th Century murals in which townfolk stone a golfer for having too long a club, please let us know the location.

If you really think longer putters make the game too easy, and more people playing golf - and playing longer - is ruining your enjoyment of the game, why not sell your clubs and try another sport?

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Long live belly putters!  3 out of the last 4 major winners used belly putters-Bradley,Simpson and Els

Wishon  715 CLC-AXE5 A shaft -hard steppedt -44.5"
4 wood-Infiniti 17*-UST IROD A shaft-Hard stepped(2009 model)
Hybrids 19* & 24*-Trident DSW-UST IROD Hybrid A shaft-hard stepped (2009 model)
Irons-5-PW- Wilson Staff Progressive Forged-TT Release  sensicore( 5&6-Soft stepped R-7,8&9-R-wedge hard stepped R
Wedges-52*-Wilson JP BeCE(54* bent to 52*)-TT-Release sensicore-hard stepped R

56*Wilson R-61 BECU Sandy Andy- Release sensicore tipped same as 8 iron

60* Wilson Harmonized BECU-Release sensicore tipped same as 8 iron

Woods- Star Grips  Irons Energy Grips

:Putter-Rife IBF with Ping Blackout Grip-35"

Ball-Wilson Staff Zip Golf. or C-25

• Administrator
Originally Posted by WUTiger

Now there's the issue of longer shafted putters. No evidence indicates that longer putter players are suddenly winning all the pro tournaments. And, longer putters evidently stabilize the stroke of older players, and players of lesser athletic ability. Maybe more fun on the greens will increase golf participation, increase number of rounds each year, and help stem the game's decline.

"Suddenly winning all the pro tournaments" is not the point many people who support banning them are making.

And the old people with the yips can learn to overcome them without resorting to a belly or long putter. Or should we just let them throw the ball down the fairway because they've lost length, too?

Originally Posted by iacas

Quote:

"Suddenly winning all the pro tournaments" is not the point many people who support banning them are making.

And the old people with the yips can learn to overcome them without resorting to a belly or long putter. Or should we just let them throw the ball down the fairway because they've lost length, too?

No, of course not. We all chip in with higher fees and build them an extra set of tees so they can still continue to have birdie putts.

As people get older, many start to have occasional hand tremors. This forms the physiological basis of the putting yips which many senior tour golfers complain of, as did retirees I once caddied for.

Golf has a problem of falling participation, over and above the discretionary-income shrinkage triggered by the recession. If golf wants to grow, it must make itself more attractive to participants.

Many early US golf holes emphasized bunkers toward the side and back to gather in gather shots which golfers rolled through the green.  Golf had much more of a ground game in the early 1900s than it does today. Then, US courses took a turn toward favoring a more lofted shot. This didn't destroy the game, it gave it more variety - US vs. British style

Circa 1930, Gene Sarazen invented the sand wedge: This clubhead carried a metal flange that allowed the club  to skim the surface of bunker sand rather than dig in. This made bunker shots less terrifying, but it did not destroy the game. Just ask Tiger and Graeme McD if bunker shots are still challenging.

Taking lofted shots a step further, golfers now have lob wedges of up to 64* or so to pop the ball up in the air from desperate lies of all varieties. This was a response to the arms race to make courses tougher with deeper bunkers, more plateau greens, and rough that gets fertilized and watered. I would cut off wedges at 56* loft to discourage the construction of overly brutal holes, but I don't have much support in the view. And, I don't lose sleep over it.

IF someone knows of 17th Century murals in which townfolk stone a golfer for having too long a club, please let us know the location.

If you really think longer putters make the game too easy, and more people playing golf - and playing longer - is ruining your enjoyment of the game, why not sell your clubs and try another sport?

So can I play golf wearing this:

Since anchoring the putter is legal....

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Note: This thread is 4166 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!