IGNORED

Ban Belly Putters?

Note: This thread is 4167 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Should long putters (belly, chin, chest, etc.) be banned?

• Yes
    • No

If that were necessarily true, there would have been lawsuits following other rule changes (grooves, club length, etc.).   IMO it would be a frivolous lawsuit anyway unless the case were being made on handicapped-discrimination grounds (which I still ultimately think should fail, but at least it might get off the ground).

I guess you don't remember the Karsten Lawsuit. http://golf.about.com/od/progolftours/a/ping-eye-2-grooves.htm

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Originally Posted by TourSpoon

I guess you don't remember the Karsten Lawsuit.

http://golf.about.com/od/progolftours/a/ping-eye-2-grooves.htm

I didn't know that ruling was a result of a lawsuit, no.  Although, it should be noted that it was a lawsuit initiated by a vendor and not a player, which doesn't surprise me.  Also, the lawsuit was challenging the interpretation of the rule (how to measure grooves) and not the rule itself, if I'm reading correctly.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Honestly, if you don't like the rules, don't play on the tour and keep using your broomstick putter. I don't think Petterson has a leg to stand on and is blowing smoke out his ass with empty threats.

• Upvote 1

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks. I now have the mental image of a legless Carl Pettersson sweeping in a two footer while hovering atop a plume of rocket exhaust issuing from the seat of his pants. And I would have to say that that is not the way golf was intended to be played.

Plus, he scorches the greens.

• Upvote 1

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Originally Posted by Stretch

Thanks. I now have the mental image of a legless Carl Pettersson sweeping in a two footer while hovering atop a plume of rocket exhaust issuing from the seat of his pants. And I would have to say that that is not the way golf was intended to be played.

Plus, he scorches the greens.

I think I saw that on an episode of the Jetson's.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Been using a long putter both belly and sternum interchangably this summer and I like it.

I do feel it is easier to make certain putts (for me it is left to right breakers) when I attach the butt end to my body and use  the butt end  like a  fulcrum pure pendulum swing.

As far as unfair advantage?

No . Its just a different way of putting , no unfair advantage.

Now that I been using long putter I feel that that flat pistols grips are unfair advantage for the regular short putter and should be ban and replaced with plain circlular grips.

Originally Posted by Truegolf

Been using a long putter both belly and sternum interchangably this summer and I like it.

I do feel it is easier to make certain putts (for me it is left to right breakers) when I attach the butt end to my body and use  the butt end  like a  fulcrum pure pendulum swing.

As far as unfair advantage?

No . Its just a different way of putting , no unfair advantage.

Now that I been using long putter I feel that that flat pistols grips are unfair advantage for the regular short putter and should be ban and replaced with plain circlular grips.

It is cutting corners in a golf swing that helps eliminate a plane of movement. Anchoring locks a putter to keep it from moving and takes a skill set away from putting. I know you are being somewhat taunting here as well.

Why dont ban the fat grip too? Im sure it is an unfair advantage not to be too wristy in putting.

Im all for making the game more popular

If the long putter brings back seniors and others who prefer to putt this way ....why not?

I laugh at those who say long putter are "morally wrong"

Why dont ban the fat grip too? Im sure it is an unfair advantage not to be too wristy in putting.

Im all for making the game more popular

If the long putter brings back seniors and others who prefer to putt this way ....why not?

I laugh at those who say long putter are "morally wrong"

I don't see this changing who plays the game. I think you might be the only one that has a problem with a fat grip. How does the fat grip keep you from being "too wristy".

I find it more morally wrong to ignore use of apostrophes.

I would have no problem with that.  It's not like it's unprecedented (at least there are similar type rules in other sports).

I’ve heard rumors and hear say, that due to the belly putter issue the USGA may create a few new rules for professionals that would not pertain to amateurs. Amateurs would be able to anchor a long putter or belly putter to the body, but pros would not be able to do the same. Pros would have to use a different method such as Matt Kuchar’s up the wrist grip or completely go back to a regular length putter. If the USGA was to do something like that I wish they would have made separate rules when it came to changing the grooves in wedges back in 2010. I believe the groove change was more for the pros, but hurt amateurs more when coming out of the thick grass.

Anyways, what do you all think; should there be a separation in a few of the rules when it comes to the Amateur and the Professional?

Driver: Taylormade R11's 10.5

4 Wood: Taylormade R11's

4 Hybrid: Taylormade Rescue 11

Irons 4-PW: Taylormade 2009 Tour Preferred

Wedges: Taylormade XFT Z, 50, 54, 58

Putter: Odyssey white ice #7

Originally Posted by DonnelyTR

No, don't ban the long putter. It offers no competitive advantage.  If you want to ban a truly unfair club, ban the hybrid.  That club give length to someone who cannot hit a long iron or wood decently.  And it does so immediately without requiring any additional skill what-so-ever.

You should see the power fade I have on my hybrid sometimes....

I was taking the possible rule change hard--and it is by no means a sure thing that it will change--but my putting was shaky even with the belly putter.

Went back to my short one--an old Titliest Dead Center model and it felt pretty good. Bought a used Rife Two Bar and really liking it.

At least I know if the rule does change, its not the end of my golfing world.

I developed the yips after 5 years of playing golf. It was actually stressful ever time I had to make a putt that "counted". I went the claw grip and it saved me. I now can enjoy my rounds of golf without the fear of the yips. I don't really like the idea of anchoring a club to your body, but I would feel hypocritical to feel that long putters should be banned. However, I can't stand it when a player uses a long putter for the two club lengths. I want to punch Carl Petterson and Adam Scott in the face every time they use their putter for this, knowing full well that the other players have to use their driver.

How do you ban a club that has been in use for 30 years? Why do you? "Anchored"? I see nothing that anchors the club to the body more than any other club.There is nothing other than the hands that holds the club. There is no anchoring mechanism. Do you also ban the short putter because some guys "anchor" the shaft to their forearm?

I don't use one nor doubt I ever would. I've tried it and it feels very awkward to me.

How it "cures the yips" is beyond me. You still have to hit the ball.

R11s driver

R11 3 wood

Glide sole design 5 wood

Cleveland CG16 irons

Vokey SM4 48*, Vokey SM4 52*, Vokey SM4 56* wedges

Yes! Eleanor putter

Originally Posted by Willie Malay

Why do you? "Anchored"? I see nothing that anchors the club to the body more than any other club.There is nothing other than the hands that holds the club.

You can't be serious.  You can't see any difference?

... "Anchored"? I see nothing that anchors the club to the body more than any other club.There is nothing other than the hands that holds the club. There is no anchoring mechanism.

With Matt Kuchar, and perhaps others I'm unaware of, as an obvious exception ... the putter is anchored to the body at the butt end.  Most people who use belly putters stick the tip of the shaft into their belly (hence the name) and most who use a broomstick brace their upper hand against their chest.  The end of the club is stuck, it's fixed, it's ... anchored.  There is most definitely something other than the hands holding the club.

I don't really have a problem with them, so I'm OK with them not banning them, but you can't argue that they are not anchored.

Originally Posted by bplewis24

Quote:

Why do you? "Anchored"? I see nothing that anchors the club to the body more than any other club.There is nothing other than the hands that holds the club.

You can't be serious.  You can't see any difference?

Willie you often reek of troll. If you want play stupid and say that the club is not anchored at the chin, chest or belly I guess that is fine. I would rather hear a thought out reason to keep it.

Note: This thread is 4167 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!