IGNORED

Ban Belly Putters?

Note: This thread is 4160 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Should long putters (belly, chin, chest, etc.) be banned?

• Yes
    • No

These quotes from that link make me believe that if there is a ban, it will apply to everyone:

"So maybe the potential change isn’t exactly keeping play-for-pay types up late and, to be clear, Davis & Co. have stressed that this isn’t about the long putter’s use on the PGA Tour so much as it is the club’s growing popularity among amateurs and newcomers to the game ."

"Although the USGA and R&A; have stressed that the recent review of long putters is in reaction to the implement’s growing popularity at the grassroots level ...."

Both of those sound like any ruling that comes down will affect all players, not just tour pros.

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Willie Malay

How do you ban a club that has been in use for 30 years? Why do you? "Anchored"? I see nothing that anchors the club to the body more than any other club.There is nothing other than the hands that holds the club. There is no anchoring mechanism. Do you also ban the short putter because some guys "anchor" the shaft to their forearm?

I don't use one nor doubt I ever would. I've tried it and it feels very awkward to me.

How it "cures the yips" is beyond me. You still have to hit the ball.

Are you joking or is your grasp of mechanics and physics as bad as it appears?

• Upvote 1

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Sometimes I grip my clubs too high on the grip and the butt touches my hand. Oh no it's "anchored". Guess I better ban my 4 iron.

R11s driver

R11 3 wood

Glide sole design 5 wood

Cleveland CG16 irons

Vokey SM4 48*, Vokey SM4 52*, Vokey SM4 56* wedges

Yes! Eleanor putter

Sometimes I grip my clubs too high on the grip and the butt touches my hand. Oh no it's "anchored". Guess I better ban my 4 iron.

Does your hand move while the palm of it is touching the grip of your 4 iron?  If so, it isn't "anchored" to anything.  Have you ever heard of a ship anchored to a raft?

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Are you is such dire need of someone explaining this simple concept to you that you are going to dig yourself into a deeper hole with every post you make until you look completely stupid? Moreso than you do now?

You can be as glib as you like, but you are coming across as being a little on the dim side.

I tried out a few belly putters and I'm not a fan; It just doesn't feel good to me. Is it an advantage? Maybe a little, but I think the advantage is minuscule. As far as the USGA banning the belly putter, from the wording I keep hearing when I listen and read PGA tour news; it sounds more like they will let pros use the putter, but they will not be able to anchor it to their bodies (belly & chest).

If you can't anchor the belly/long putter to your body then why use it. So, I think they will probably ban it without using the actual phrase "banning the belly/long putter".

Driver: Taylormade R11's 10.5

4 Wood: Taylormade R11's

4 Hybrid: Taylormade Rescue 11

Irons 4-PW: Taylormade 2009 Tour Preferred

Wedges: Taylormade XFT Z, 50, 54, 58

Putter: Odyssey white ice #7

I played with a golfer who is fat How fat you asked? So fat that even with his standard length putter his extreme pot belly touches his hands or the butt of the putter. He doesn't intentional anchor the putter to his belly , he's just obese. So you say he's cheating ?

I think theyre retarded and remind me of a 4yr old with training wheels. Oh look little johnny needs special help with his putting, hahaha.... I laugh in the face of people who use them. Ban this ridiculous gimmick.

hahaha.... I laugh in the face of people who use them. Ban this ridiculous gimmick.

That says a lot more about you than it does about the guys using them. What a dick. And how is it a "gimmick"?

That says a lot more about you than it does about the guys using them. What a dick. And how is it a "gimmick"?

I think he is joking. I do find it comical to watch an athletic guy like Adam Scott use a putter that I associate with old men.

Originally Posted by RGoosen

I think he is joking. I do find it comical to watch an athletic guy like Adam Scott use a putter that I associate with old men.

The whole move against them, though, is based on the fact that people do not like the fact that young guys are using them.

Seems to me that there is opposition to them partly based on the fact that they are not a "good look" for a young player.

As far as older guys using them - anything to keep them in the game is a good thing.

Golf has more gimickie junk then any other sport I know, even putter heads are getting retarded, bet I could sell a broomstick attached to a hubcap if I paid pros to endorse it. If I was to connect all the crap used to improve my accuracy or score I'm sure it would wrap the circumference of the earth several times. I despise long putters, I'm sure the golf gods are rolling in their graves...

Golf has more gimickie junk then any other sport I know, even putter heads are getting retarded, bet I could sell a broomstick attached to a hubcap if I paid pros to endorse it. If I was to connect all the crap used to improve my accuracy or score I'm sure it would wrap the circumference of the earth several times. I despise long putters, I'm sure the golf gods are rolling in their graves...

If your hubcap putter sank putts, you would have an infomercial. When did the golf gods die?

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Originally Posted by RGoosen

Athletic and putting dont belong in the same sentence.

My grandma putts better than a lot of "athletic" guys.

• 2 months later...

http://www.golfcanada.ca/professiona...icleId=5718575

Quote:

The United States Golf Association (USGA) and the Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St. Andrews (R&A;) will hold a teleconference from 8:30 a.m. – 9:15 a.m. (EST) on Wednesday Nov. 28th. The ruling bodies of golf are expected to announce their joint decision regarding whether it will be illegal to anchor a putter against one’s body, as has become increasingly popular. Golfers who use a belly and long putter tend to anchor it against the belly or chest.

Note: This thread is 4160 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!