IGNORED

Ban Belly Putters?

Note: This thread is 4167 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Should long putters (belly, chin, chest, etc.) be banned?

• Yes
    • No

Just out of curiosity, who makes these 7 foot putters? And are they making them to make up for length elsewh.....I won't go there

But the first question was kinda serious, I am a little curious as to who makes the "chin" putters.
I'm only at 13 clubs in the bag, what do you reccomend as a 14th? My foot wedge?

In the bag:
Driver - HiBore XL 10.5* Reg. Flex Fit- on Fuji GoldWoods - Tightlies GT2: 3 wood 15* & 5 wood 19* Surpass 7 wood 24*Irons - Eye 2 4-PW & a cheesey 1 iron blade I use for punch...

If some of you think it gives a player a significant advantage...and it's legal...why don't you use it?

Exactly. I've never tried one for an extended period of time but I have screwed around with one and personally I don't know how people can control the damn things.

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

Yes I would ban belly putters, or any club or technique which anchors the club to a part of the body other than the arms and hands. I would also limit putter length to the same length as maximum driver length. This would exclude long putters that are anchored to the chin, chest, arm etc., but still allow reasonably long putters. There probably ought to be a maximum grip length and size also. Do current users gain an unfair advantage? Probably not on balance since they can be tough to use on long putts. In principle when a technique varies so much that a basic golf skill is bypassed then it becomes a problem. I feel long putters and belly putters threaten this principle.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

Keep 'em, but no drops based on any club longer than your driver.

I don't know how much the belly putters help. I'm sure they do help some players a good deal -- Sergio putted well during the British Championship, what more do you need?

If they help, fine. It's like using cavity back irons; sure, they help if you hit it poorly. But you still have to do a halfway decent job; they aren't hitting the putts themselves.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I voted for a ban.

Lets not forget that the longest hitter on tour uses a hot pink shaft. I dont think anyone will care what color it is when you start sinking everything inside 10 feet.

In My Bag
Driver: R5 TP 9.5 Diamana
3 Wood: V-Steel 15* UST V2
5 Wood: R7 Steel
Hybrids: Heavenwood 20* UST V2 Rescue Mid 22* UST V2Irons: RAC LT2 5-9 Project X FlightedWedges: RAC Black TP 47* 51* 55* 60*Putter: White Hot 2 BallBalls: One Black

I'm personally not a big fan. How many people win with one on tour? Not too many. What did David Feherty say you can only use a belly putter if you have a belly. If a pro won a major with one would people question his ability. Probably. Yeah ban em

ummmmmm, no ban on any usga conforming equipment. if you think they give you an advantage, go out on your local putting green and try to 2-putt from 30-40 feet consistantly with a belly/long putter. not easy...
**In the Bag**

R7 Quad M.A.S Stiff 8.5*
975F UST Pro Force S 65 14.5*
Rescue Dual Hybrid TM Graphite S 22*RAC TP coin forged 2 iron Steel SRAC LT Irons 4-PW Steel StiffCG 10 Black Pearl GW 52*CG 10 Satin SW 56*Rossa Monza Corza 33.5"R7 Staff Bag 9.5" & TP Red golf balls

Belly putters should be allowed, but the chin putters are just stupid, anything above a belly putter should be banned. Some people don't play well with belly putters anyway, it's personal preference.
In My Bag:
Driver: Cobra F Speed 10.5°, Aldila NV 55g Regular
3 Wood: Cobra F Speed 15°, Aldila NV 55g Regular
Irons: Cobra 2300 I/M 3-PW
Wedge: Cobra M 54°Putter: Yes! SophiaBall: TaylorMade TP Red

It's pretty much cheating , ban them

In the OGIO OZONE Bag
Driver: SuperQuad 9.5
3 Wood- V steel 15 ALDILA NV s
Irons- Hogan Apex FTX
Wedges- CG14 52 56Putter- Odyssey XG model #9Ball- Pro v 1 xShoes- Adidas Tour Metal

I've always wondered how people with a chin putter carry them in their bag. Wouldn't that thing look a bit ridiculous sticking out of a bag??

Same question from earlier about travel applies as well.

I dont care about people using these putters for putts, its using them for 1 clublength drops that I think is ridiculous.

Why??? There are what????.... 2 putters on the market that are longer than stock drivers.... and by an inch. I dont think that 2 inches really gives an advantage in any situation.

In My Bag
Driver: R5 TP 9.5 Diamana
3 Wood: V-Steel 15* UST V2
5 Wood: R7 Steel
Hybrids: Heavenwood 20* UST V2 Rescue Mid 22* UST V2Irons: RAC LT2 5-9 Project X FlightedWedges: RAC Black TP 47* 51* 55* 60*Putter: White Hot 2 BallBalls: One Black

• Administrator
Why??? There are what????.... 2 putters on the market that are longer than stock drivers.... and by an inch. I dont think that 2 inches really gives an advantage in any situation.

The first place I looked, at Scotty Cameron's site (he doesn't make many long putters), had a 48" putter listed (the Red X Long). That's three inches longer than the average driver and six inches longer on a two-club drop.

I agree it doesn't make much of a point. I still don't like using them for drops, and I don't like the idea that something is anchored to your body.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I wouldn't say ban them but make a ruling on how they are used.

Just like you how you must have both feet on the same side of the ball when putting, just make the rule so that a max of 2 part of your body can touch the club at one time.

You want to use the belly putter then fine but the belly counts as one part and so then you can only put one hand on the putter when making your stroke.

Ban all long putters. You should not be able to tripod the putter unless you tripod your other clubs.

Anyone want to buy a belly driver?.......

cybear

The-Bear's: OGIO Backpacks Golf Bags and Work Bags cart bag.

Driver:       ping.gif Rapture 10.5 w/stock R
Fairways:  cleveland.gif 588 14 Matrix Ozik 6Q3 R
Hybrids:   adams.gif a12os 3h-6h Grafalloy Prolanch blue 60 R

Irons:      adams.gif a12os 7-PW Grafalloy Prolanch blue 60 R
Wedges:  Hopkins Black Stain Chrome 48-08 full sole, 52-08 shelf, 56-14 channel Hopkins OTM steel W

Putter:     ping.gif  B60i IsoPur 

Ball:       callaway.gif Supersoft ball

I feel they are swing aides for putting. Yes, good putters will not benefit from them since they are good putters. But its a putting aide, for those who don't putt so well or have a bad putting stroke. To me, it's like having a backpack/harness that will only allow me to have a proper swing so I won't swing outside/in or top the ball and so on. OK for practice, not for playing.

So I say ban them.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator
The U.S. Amateur was won by someone using a belly putter, and "Gouge" ain't too happy about it:

http://www.golfdigest.com/equipment/...is-the-ou.html

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 4167 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!