IGNORED

Ban Belly Putters?

Note: This thread is 4166 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Should long putters (belly, chin, chest, etc.) be banned?

• Yes
    • No

Curious to hear your opinion on this one....

I always thought that if you have a "reminder" on the putting grip, it was illegal....

belly putters anchor your bell with the putter and your hands...
should we ban them?
In My Bag:
Driver:
Nike SasQuatch 460 9.5 deg - Fujikura Prototype X
3 Wood:
Orlimar Trimetal Plus 14 deg - Fujikura Prototype XIrons: Titleist 735CM (3-PW) - TT DG 300SWedges: Titleist Vokey 50 & 54 & 60Putter: Scotty Cameron Laguna Oil Can - Custom Shop Restored to Pro...

Uhm.... looking at the absence of replies...

maybe a lot of you guys already play with belly putters?!?!

In My Bag:
Driver:
3 Wood:
Orlimar Trimetal Plus 14 deg - Fujikura Prototype XIrons: Titleist 735CM (3-PW) - TT DG 300SWedges: Titleist Vokey 50 & 54 & 60Putter: Scotty Cameron Laguna Oil Can - Custom Shop Restored to Pro...

Hi ipark

well, i don't use one myself but the belly putter is a good tool for those who struggle with their putting, but you will have to suffer the humiliation of using one though, a bit like putting kack handed i suppose, makes you look a bit of a spazz (Tiger used this word on tv).

i think the worst putting invention is the Oddysey 2 ball- how hideous are they to use and look at? I prefer conventional putters-give me a Ping Anser original bronze or a Titleist bullseye anyday!!!

bb69

Hi ipark

You're the man!

In My Bag:
Driver:
3 Wood:

if the usga thought they were illegal they would be banned, period. don't use one, hopefully never will, but they have helped a number of pros keep their careers alive, fred couples to name one. a number of players have used them but have returned to conventional models, vijay and zinger to name two. clearly the usga is not worried about them and neither am i.

in the bag:
driver-titleist D2 10.5* w/aldila nv shaft
3-adams speedline fast 10 w/aldila shaft
hybrid-titleist 585 17* w/aldila shaft
irons-titleist 735cm w/ttdg s-300 shafts

wedges-cleveland 588, 53* and 60* w/ttdg shafts

putter-scotty circa 62 #1, gun metal finish

ball-pro v1

shoe-dryjoys

Uhm.... looking at the absence of replies...

No, we just have already debated this issue. Click

here

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

No, we just have already debated this issue. Click

NM Golf, I am so sorry... I did not know... I am still a rookie!

Thanks for the link! p.s. is there a way to see if a topic was already discussed?
In My Bag:
Driver:
3 Wood:

NM Golf, I am so sorry... I did not know... I am still a rookie!

You can use the search feature above to search for a key word, but there is nothing wrong with starting a new thread. New people join all the time and they missed that discussion as well. I mentioned it only because it was evident none of the other newbies must have an opinion on the belly putter.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

To each his own I guess...let 'em use them if they want I say!

Ryan
ogio.gif Vision SS Bag:
cleveland.gif Launcher DST 10.5*  taylormade.gif R9 16.5* 4W
taylormade.gif Rescue Dual 19*  taylormade.gif Burner 2.0 4-PW
vokey.gif 250.08, Spin Milled 54.10, and 58.08
yesgolf.gif Callie  bridgestone.gif B330

Not sure what I think about 'em. They seem harmless enough, but look kind of silly. I'm a traditionalist, so I prefer the old non-belly putters.

By the way, does anyone know the ruling on if a belly putter counts as a "club in the bag" when dropping "one club length" away? I always wondered about that.
"Hit 'em hard - they'll land somewhere." - Stewart Maiden

In the Bag:

Driver: R480, 10.5*, Graphite5 Wood: R540 XD, 17.5*, GraphiteIrons: Big Bertha 4-10 + GW, SSWedge: 56*, Chrome, SSPutter: White HotBall: HX Hot

Not sure what I think about 'em. They seem harmless enough, but look kind of silly. I'm a traditionalist, so I prefer the old non-belly putters.

Turlock Kid,

I think that the belly putter count as a club in the bag and it can be used when dropping. I have seen Colin Montgomerie (when he shortly used one) dropping a ball, using his belly putter.... maximizing the definition of One club distance!
In My Bag:
Driver:
3 Wood:

How about if your belly is big enough that your normal putter becomes a belly putter? That's where I'm at.

Right there with ya Norm!

Dual Point 10.5 Stiff Driver
Dual Point 3 Wood
NPS-1 Irons
Dual Slot 52, 56, 60 Wedges
Newport 2

I didn't like the way they felt when I tried one, so I stayed with the conventional putter. I have no problem with other people using them, I just think they are ugly.

Roy McEvoy is my hero.

In My bag
TM Burner 9.5 S Flex

Wilson Invex Strong 3 and 5 wood

Maxfli Revolution 3-PW Irons

Cleveland 54/60 wedges

Odessey XG #7 Putter

I don't think they should be banned. I have never used one, but if u look at the different kinds of putters today, it's pretty frightening. Some are so bright they look like they take batteries, some look like potato mashers, some look like they came from an old Star Trek prop room, and others like the tri-ball, are getting so long in the ass end, that if they ever make a 4 ball version, some spectator will get hurt on the backswing? Like some of the above posts, if i bent over a bit farther, my Yes Sophia would be classified as a belly putter...

The Bag...
TaylorMade RBZ HL Matrix Ozik Flex M
TaylorMade RBZ 3 HL 
Cobra Baffler DWS 2/R 18° Aldila NV-HL65 S
Cleveland Halo 3i 22°

Ping G2 steel 5HL,6,7,8,9 & PW 

Cleveland CG10 Black Pearl 54,56 & 60° or Nike SV Tour 50°

Yes! Sophia blade

I think there's an obvious reason why I don't think they should be banned.

Do I think its a little like cheating? yes and no. Those 3-6 footers are a lot easier, but I now have a problem with the long lag putts.

Then there's a look at the pros. All of your best putters don't use belly putters. Its the ones who have yip problems that go to them. (Couples, Singh, Langer) Although Langer plays a long putter.

What's in my bag
Driver: Taylor Made R7 425 9.5 degrees UST Proforce 65 shaft
3 Wood: Taylor Made V Steel 15 degrees
Taylor Made Rescue Dual 22 degrees (UST IROD shaft)
Irons: Mizuno MP-67 (bent 1 degree upright)Gap Wedge: Mizuno R Series Black Nickle 52 Sand Wedge: Mizuno R Series Black Nickle...

Note: This thread is 4166 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!