IGNORED

Ban Belly Putters?

Note: This thread is 4158 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Should long putters (belly, chin, chest, etc.) be banned?

• Yes
    • No

i think that banning belly and long putters is like saying that pro's cant use cavity backs because they are easier to hit. look if people that used them had a dominating presence on tour then i say ban them but they don't so let them use the technology availible.

-matt

Driver: 09 Burner 10.5 Aldila NV 65 X Stiff
3wd: G10 14* Aldila NV 85 X Stiff
Hybrid: G10 18* Aldila NV 105 X Stiff
3-PW: I10 X100
Wedge: Tour 52* & 58* S400Putter: Circa 62 No.2 35" Ball: Tour IXLowest 9 (-E) 36Lowest 18 (+2) 73

• Administrator
i think that banning belly and long putters is like saying that pro's cant use cavity backs because they are easier to hit. look if people that used them had a dominating presence on tour then i say ban them but they don't so let them use the technology availible.

That's not the point most people opposed to belly putters are making at all. I grant that it's a somewhat subtle distinction, but it is there.

It's not about making the game "easier" - it's about changing the very premise of the game. Golf clubs aren't anchored to your body. They're swung.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Looking a guy using a belly putter is worse than watching your friend get a lap dance from a fat stripper. I'm for the ban, if the putter attaches to part of your body other than your hands it has a fixed postion. But hey so far I've yet to see anyone really putt good with one. I believe that the belly has a zero wins in major so far.

In the Bag:
Driver:Adams Speedline F11 9 degree RIP Gamma 

3 Wood: Adams Fast 10 15 degrees Voodoo shaft
Hybrid: Irons: Mizuno MP59 Sensicore  XStiff

Wedges: Cleveland Gun Metal 52 56 degree

Putter: Rife: Belly Barbados Tropical

Ball: Titliest Pro V 1

The U.S. Amateur was won by someone using a belly putter, and "Gouge" ain't too happy about it:

Man, I was all set to post a link to this blog and you beat me too it. "Gouge" makes a great (though visceral) argument for banning long putters.

Driver: Launcher, 10.5°
Fairway: Big Bertha 2007, 15° & 18°
Hybrid: Rapture, 21° & 24°
Irons: Big Bertha 2006, 5 - PW
Wedges: Vokey, 52° & 56°Putter: White Hot XG, Rossie Ball: HX HotI'm not saying my golf game went bad, but if I grew tomatoes, they'd come up sliced. ~ Lee Trevino

These putters dont hold such high degree of dominance to mention banning. That being said, i can't stand them.
HiBore XL Tour 10.5* Fujikura Speeder 652 Tour Spec X-Flex
HiBore 15* FW Aldila 70-S "Proto By You"
Hibore 2i Aldila 80-S "Proto By you"
MP-67 3-pw *Project X 6.0
MP-R Black Nickel wedges 52*-7 56*-10 60*-5 *Project X 6.0 GM2 Exchange #6 Staff Bag

• 4 months later...
In my opinion, you that voted no are completely WRONG. You hardly see any pros on the tour using one, and if you do they themselves want them BANNED! go with the pros, they no more than us!
In My Bag ...

Driver - Mx-500 9.5 Regular Shaft.
Fairway Woods - 3 & 7 F-50 Reagular Shafts.
Irons - Mx-19 3-Sw Dynamic Gold Regular ShaftsBag - Aerolite 2Balls - , & Any I Find!Putter - C-Groove Tracy 2Grips - Golf Pride Mulit-Compound Blue GripsA Member Of Hunley Hall G.C.

There are only two professionals within the top 30 in the World Golf Rankings that use long/belly putters (Singh,Cink). This makes it seem obvious to me that the long or belly putter is not an unfair advantage.

Also, if somebody thinks that a long/belly putter is not right because it gives an unfair advantage, why doesn't that person get one? It's not like people dont have the option. Its like going to a resturaunt that you have been to many times before(well say youve tasted everything on the menu for the sake of the story), ordering a certain dish, then saying that it is unfair that your companion got a better dish, even though you could have gotten that same meal.

All that being said, I personally cant stand the look or feel of any long or belly putter(bit of a contradiction, I know).

Monster Tour 10.5* w/ Redboard 63
FP400f 14.5* w/ GD YSQ
Idea Pro 18* w/ VS Proto 80s
MP FLi-Hi 21 w/ S300
CG1 BP w/ PX 6.0 SM 54.11 SM 60.08 Sophia 33"

I voted yes, but I'm not sure I feel strongly about it.

People who use alternative putters/methods, do so generally because they are not good putters and are seeking solutions to what lacks them with the conventional putter/method.

In many cases, if you are a bad putter, you're a bad putter simple and clean and no equipment or method will fix this for you (within current rules). I think it can help at times, but ultimately much will remain unchanged.

(Conventional) Putting is arguably the easiest part of golf, and furthermore with all the other things pros are able to do to the golf ball (control) with other clubs, it seems to reason that with practice, training and repetition, one should be able to improve with the conventional method. However, most people (pros) cannot do this and continue to waver between methods and equipment seeking something, in my opinion, that they will never find.

Blog: http://emergencynine.com/

In my bag you'll find lots of left-handed clubs like these:
Driver: G10 9* TFC (stock) S
3 wood: G5 Aldila NV SIrons 4 thru P: MX-20 TTDG RWedges: MP T Series Chrome, Forged - 52/56/60Putter: CallieBall: B330Bag (carry): Tour Stand; (cart): 9" Staff Tour

There are only two professionals within the top 30 in the World Golf Rankings that use long/belly putters (Singh,Cink). This makes it seem obvious to me that the long or belly putter is not an unfair advantage.

Interesting, I didn't know those two. Without knowing that, I always thought of those two guys as 'bad' putters. I know Singh had a good streak of recent years, but they both have been looking awful as of late. I also think Stewart's fumbles are well documented (US Open). I'm not sure what the stats say, but will check now.

I think people who believe it is an unfair advantage are generally people who are good putters (conventional) themselves and they believe the alternative equip/method provides an edge to the 'bad' putter. The alternative approach would not help the 'good' putter regain any edge.

3 wood: G5 Aldila NV SIrons 4 thru P: MX-20 TTDG RWedges: MP T Series Chrome, Forged - 52/56/60Putter: CallieBall: B330Bag (carry): Tour Stand; (cart): 9" Staff Tour

Looking a guy using a belly putter is worse than watching your friend get a lap dance from a fat stripper. I'm for the ban, if the putter attaches to part of your body other than your hands it has a fixed postion. But hey so far I've yet to see anyone really putt good with one. I believe that the belly has a zero wins in major so far.

The reason you haven't seen anyone putt good with them is because only bad putters use them, and they are still a bad putter using another piece of equipment :)

Not for a ban, never seen anybody play a complete good round with it.....UNLESS they are a great putter with one (in my experience the rest of their game is below par) but happen to be in my scramble foursome!!

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

Heck no don't ban them, why are golfers always complaining ?
Jack Nicklaus is whining about the balls and wants to restrict them for tournaments.
Palmer also puts out the idea of giving everyone the same balls before a tournament.

Some people play golf because they enjoy the experience and aren't worried what someone else shoots. If someone hits the ball a mile, good for them, or scores low, . . . great! If someone I'm playing with plays great, I enjoy the show, it adds value to my round. If you don't gamble what's the problem?

The belly putter is a help if you have a sore back, especially if you are getting older it eases the stress a lot. I use one and I don't attach it to my body. The main appeal is that instead of getting a new putter when you lose the touch with your favorite blade, you can just alter the way you use the belly putter, it's very versatile that way. I use to buy putters a lot, now I just grip the belly putter differently to get a different feel and snap out of a slump. It doesn't really give anyone an unfair advantage, it's just mental like most of golf.

2009 Burner R
FT-I Fusion Squareway 3W 15* Fujikura Speeder Fit-On R
5W R7 R
FT Fusion Hybrids Draw 3/21*, 4/24*
G5 5-PW X-forged Vintage: 52.12, 56.14MDScotty Cameron: Newport 2 ProV1

• 3 months later...
No do not ban long putters. I go to one if I get inconsistent with the regular putter.

It may not help, but it just gives me a different look when I am over the ball. This helps
in my case.

However, I always end up back with the 34 inch putter.

There are two things you can do with your head down - play golf and pray. ~Lee TrevinoI Like Photography Too

Don't ban then, just make a rule requiring the hands touch while putting.
I've spent most of my life golfing - the rest I've just wasted.

In my bag todayâ¦.
Driver: 2009 S9-1 10.5
19d Hybrid4-SW:2008 FP 58/10 Mizuno MP T-10Putter: White Hot XG Sabertooth

My feeling on this, is torn both ways. I think if you are saying to ban them because it helps you release, say in Sergios case. I think that something like a 2 ball should be looked at then too since it helps those align who cant align. I mean this is what technology does, it helps you in areas that you otherwise are not good at.

Ban draw drivers because they help people close the face and or hit draws that otherwise have trouble releasing the club and hitting the draw.

I dont think its an unfair advantage. I think Sergio would have found somethign that worked for him more so than an unfair advantage. Just becaus he found success with it doesnt make it unfair. Padraig found success with the 2 ball where he otherwise would have had problems lining up putts (example im not claiming this to be true) so would that be an unfair advantage over the field?

Anyways anyone can use one, so at this time it would not be unfair.

Im pretty close both ways. But I lean toward no and that they dont do as much as people think. Howerver i think if you are going to ban them then you have to look at clubs with draw and fade bias and moveable weight and any other equipment that aids in an area that gives a person trouble.

As I mentioned in another post, the idea of putting a max length on a putter is a bad idea. I am 6'8" and my putter is 39 inches long. It is the length of most belly putters but I use it with a standard putting grip. The idea of both hands touching is an idea, but I would say let it be. It is not an advantage in any way, shape, or form. At least in my view.

Note: This thread is 4158 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!