IGNORED

Driver Help!

Note: This thread is 3983 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I'm in the market for a new driver right now I'm using a crappy Wilson BLK driver but can still hit it 210-220 on carry and 250 total. I'm debating between the Ping G20, Titleist 910 D2 or D3, Nike Covert or Tour and Nike VR Limited Edition. Money is no problem I've been saving for a while now but any help appreciated or even any other drivers you would recommend is good too. Thanks!

Over the years, I've played alot of different drivers from different manufacturers, and I've personally come to favor Titleist drivers  Currently, I am playing their newest generation, the Titleist 913 D2 driver 10.5 degree with the Mitsubishi Diamana S+ Blue R flex shaft. Thankfully, it does not have any of those crazy colors or distracting designs on the crown of the club. The 913 D2 has a very classic look and shape.  It has an adjustable hosel, so you can fine tune its setup to fit your preferences.  At impact it feels solid, and produces a muted "thwack".  Its very forgiving with slight mishits: however, a poor swing will give you a poor result (thats true with any club).  I don't work the ball, so I really can't speak to that.  I tend to play a straight ball, sometimes a slight fade.  It gives me a nice medium trajectory, and overall great distance (about 240-250 yards).  I think its a great club, that has given me great results.  In fact, last weekend I was paired with 3 guys I did not know, I didn't have any warm-up time, a couple of groups were waiting for us to tee off.  I was nervous, everybody was watching,  I stepped up with my Titleist driver, put a decent swing on the ball, and it flew straight down the middle of the fairway about 240 yards.  I was quickly rewarded with compliments from everyone,: the players in my group, the starter and guys from other groups waiting to tee off.  I was pumped, and it set the tone for a pretty good round of golf.  I credit my Titleist driver.

• Upvote 1

Thanks how would you compare the 910 to 913 I know I said money isn't a problem but I still don't want to spend a lot on the 913 and the 910 be just as good

My experience with Titleist 910 drivers is limited.  When they first came out, I went to hit them, and I remember being very impressed; however, I never owned them and never played with them on a course.  I know both the 910 and 913 have the Sure Fit hosel.  Both drivers look and sound very similar.  I have read that the 913 has more technology engineered into the clubface to make it "hotter" and slightly more forgiving, but I don't think an average golfer could really distinguish that while playing a round.  Overall I think they are very similar clubs.  BTW, currently both drivers brand new cost $399.  So if you don't want to spend that kind of money on a new driver, then get a used 910.  I think the question is whether you want the D2 or D3 model.  The D2 models have a slightly larger head and is more forgiving  than the D3, but the D3 is considered to be more workable right or left.

Can't tell you too much about your choices other than demo and try them together on the same LM.

As to the 910 v 913, I hear different things - on internet forums, I hear  not that big of a difference, and others claim 5-10 more yards. Perhaps a better fit combined with slightly higher ball speed and less spin, higher launch gains yardage. I knew Titleist redesigned the hosel for less weight, the weights on the bottom of the club are redesigned, the face is slightly thinner towards the edges for more speed (forgiveness). I hit the 913 D2 and my thoughts were the feel was direct - not soft, and the sound was loud but not echoing. I was not in love with the shape (I prefer the R1 shape). I thought it was accurate. It is not the most forgiving, but similar to the R1. It is an excellent driver. I would say for normal golfers, stick with the D2. Titleist lowered the spin of the 913 D2 to be compatible with the D3. If you want more spin, you may like the 910D2. I like Titleist and the 913 because of its choice of shafts, lofts, and adjustments, and the number of fitting centers. Now if you can find a decent fitter (they are not all the same).

The Nike Covert word of mouth is long, forgiving ... accuracy? That's the question. They have great adjustability from all I've read. I would check it out, and check out those shafts. Word is they tend to be soft to flex.

Good luck.

• Upvote 1

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

HMMMM.  I don't think Titleist changed the Sure Fit hosel.  Supposedly you can use the shafts with adjustable hosel interchangeably between the 910 and 913.  At least that was my understanding, but I could be wrong.

Originally Posted by bukifvr

HMMMM.  I don't think Titleist changed the Sure Fit hosel.  Supposedly you can use the shafts with adjustable hosel interchangeably between the 910 and 913.  At least that was my understanding, but I could be wrong.

You're correct. They changed the hosel in the fairways (and hybrids), not the driver. Apologies all around.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ok now here's another I don't ballon my drives but they could be lower it seems as of late everytime I play it is windy and I would like to get my drives lower what driver would you recommend for that I don't mind the smaller heads like 430cc or 445 just let me know

Originally Posted by jjlafond98

Ok now here's another I don't ballon my drives but they could be lower it seems as of late everytime I play it is windy and I would like to get my drives lower what driver would you recommend for that I don't mind the smaller heads like 430cc or 445 just let me know

To hit my driver lower, I adjust my ball position about 1 ball back in my stance and tee it lower.  By doing this I change the point in my swing where I impact the ball.  Instead of impacting the ball on a slight upswing, I impact it more level therefore my clubface is delofted and the ball flies on a lower trajectory.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the advice but I have decided on the nike vr limited I like the smaller head and its only 115 new on eBay. When I mishit it's usually slightly off the bottom and with the nex Cor face and especially the compression channel it's supposed to help that but I am planning in getting another one too since this is only $115 as I said and when I do it will probably be the Nike Covert Tour or Titleist 910/913 D3.

Originally Posted by jjlafond98

And I will be trying your advice for lower hits next time at the range!

It works for me, it should work for you.  Let me know.  And they say Buckeyes and Wolverines don't get along.  GO BUCKS!!! :)

• Upvote 1

It works for me, it should work for you.  Let me know.  And they say Buckeyes and Wolverines don't get along.  GO BUCKS!!! :)

Gross. Too much unnatural love in this thread. To hell with the both of you! Go Illini!!!!

My bag...under construction

Driver -  AMP 10.5 degree

3W - :adams: Speedline Fast 12

3H  Baffler T-Rail

Irons - 4-PW  G20s

Wedges -  G20 54* SW and an old  Bazooka 60* LW that will be replaced next

Putter -  Scottsdale Y-Worry

Go blue fools. I bleed maize and blue. I understand the buckeye guy but you? I'm sorry but Illinois sucks. At least they occasionally show up in basketball. Once again... HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Originally Posted by Desert

Gross. Too much unnatural love in this thread. To hell with the both of you! Go Illini!!!!

LOL!  Sorry, This is just sad..  Unnatural love?  More like mutual respect!

Note: This thread is 3983 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!