IGNORED

Long Putter are you going to stop using it? If so when?

inthecup
Note: This thread is 3954 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by rowlf

What does it mean for a social golfer?

If I play golf at my club but does not take part in club competition, will that make it ok to continue using anchored long putters beyond 2016? Could I use the scores from my social round to submit my handicap if I had been using an anchored putter during the round?

Or does that rule makes it illegal from all usage?

It will be against the rules of golf.  That means for handicap too.  Handicap rounds must be played under the rules, or with such modifications as the handicap manual allows for unfinished or unplayed holes.

• Upvote 1

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I can't wait for these ridiculous looking things to find their way to the dump... good riddance

Bag:

DriverG25 or  XCG5 11.5* 3++ fairway wood

3w:  XCG6 15*

*5w: XCG6 18* (out if I bag my 3-iron)

Irons: Rocketbladez tour  3-pw(47*) (I sometimes bag the 3 iron but usually the 5w) 

Wedges:   SM-4  52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Versa #7 (white on black)

Originally Posted by Fourputt

It will be against the rules of golf.  That means for handicap too.  Handicap rounds must be played under the rules, or with such modifications as the handicap manual allows for unfinished or unplayed holes.

Thanks Rick.

Originally Posted by 2ironfrenzy

I can't wait for these ridiculous looking things to find their way to the dump... good riddance

I am late to the party. I was still thinking about buying one and give it a last shot although I was never good at it when I borrowed it from my mate.

All the long putters could be converted back to normal putters by cutting the shaft and putting on a new grip. The problem is long putters have a heavier head so as long as it isn't used on fast greens I think it should be ok.

Originally Posted by inthecup

I use a belly putter and like it a lot.  I am disappointed in the rule change.  I do play in competitions, club stuff.  I will abide by whatever the rule it.  I am not sure I want to take crap until 2016 though, I am not sure I will get crap for that matter.

What is the consensus of players if you don't use a long putter will you have "input" for people who do?

If you do use a long putter will you use it after 2016?  If not when will you stop at the deadline or before.

I don't use one.  Unless I am playing a match against someone or am playing with them in a stroke play event I never care what my playing partner does equipment, stroke, or rules-wise.  That is their business.  And so long as anchoring is still legal I won't give anyone grief over doing it.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

I can't answer your question, because I don't anchor, but I will promise you one thing......you won't get any "crap" from me as long as it's still legal.  Nor should you from anyone else.  If you do, I'd tell 'em to pound sand!

This. It's legal until it's not.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by inthecup

...What is the consensus of players if you don't use a long putter will you have "input" for people who do?...

Amongst the usual group of friends I golf with, anything is fair game for "input" - so if one of them was gaming a long putter, that would be bait just like anything else (all in fun, of course).

As far as playing with strangers, I don't ever offer input as to their gear, game, etc. unless it's solicited.  Anchored putting is within the rules until 2016 and I have no beef with it anyway, so to each their own.

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

I have a friend that uses a belly and I always give him crap. It's funny because I also use a belly. No one has ever said anything to me about it except for normal banter you get in a regular group. I really don't care. My anchoring is done with a very light touch and I have putted without it even touching. I may just cut it down from 41,5 to 40 when the time comes. I will comply in time.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

• Administrator

Adam Scott said he'll continue to use it, he just won't anchor it. So as we all know the putters themselves aren't banned…

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I have used the long putter for years...tell me how will you know if my left hand is touching my chest or is just touching my shirt and is a1/4 inch away from my body?

Impossible to enforce

PB
Canadian PGA Life Member
Peter Boyce Golf Academy
Strathroy, Ontario
:tmade:

• Administrator
Originally Posted by canadianpro

I have used the long putter for years...tell me how will you know if my left hand is touching my chest or is just touching my shirt and is a1/4 inch away from my body?

Will you know?

(wait for answer)

Exactly.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

Adam Scott said he'll continue to use it, he just won't anchor it. So as we all know the putters themselves aren't banned…

Same for me and most of the guys around my club that use a long putter.

They were not as passionate about the rule change because they never had a strong *anchor* anyway - for all of us it will be a matter of moving our hand 1/4 inch forward - i have experimented with it in the past but will not commit to it until I have to.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

I currently use a belly putter.  For the record, while I wish they wouldn't have imposed the ban, I totally understand why the decision was made.  I have already been practicing a bit with a short stick.  I figure I'll finish the year with the belly, use the offseason and an indoor putting green to work with a standard putter, and use a short putter next year.  I figure the sooner I make the transition, the longer I'll have to get good at it...

Someone mentioned using a method which braces the putter against the arm (Kutcher-ish).  I figure I'll try that and see what if feels like.  I'm a bit surprised the definition of anchoring didn't include this.  It seems like another way to stabilze the putter with your body...

Originally Posted by boil3rmak3r

Someone mentioned using a method which braces the putter against the arm (Kutcher-ish).  I figure I'll try that and see what if feels like.  I'm a bit surprised the definition of anchoring didn't include this.  It seems like another way to stabilze the putter with your body...

If too many people do it, it will also be banned.

Follow me on twitter

If too many people do it, it will also be banned.

they should just go ahead and ban it now, people are ALWAYS looking for a crutch of some sort... why not just play the game like it was meant to be played?

Bag:

DriverG25 or  XCG5 11.5* 3++ fairway wood

3w:  XCG6 15*

*5w: XCG6 18* (out if I bag my 3-iron)

Irons: Rocketbladez tour  3-pw(47*) (I sometimes bag the 3 iron but usually the 5w) 

Wedges:   SM-4  52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Versa #7 (white on black)

they should just go ahead and ban it now, people are ALWAYS looking for a crutch of some sort... why not just play the game like it was meant to be played?

While I dont agree with any of your views, I do believe if they were going to ban one form of anchoring, it all should have gone.

Since I am pretty sure you were not around when the game was invented, you really have no idea how it was *meant* to be played.

Follow me on twitter

While I dont agree with any of your views, I do believe if they were going to ban one form of anchoring, it all should have gone. Since I am pretty sure you were not around when the game was invented, you really have no idea how it was *meant* to be played.

Wasn't it meant to keep the goat herders from being bored? Give them something to do?

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Originally Posted by 14ledo81

Quote:

Originally Posted by meenman

While I dont agree with any of your views, I do believe if they were going to ban one form of anchoring, it all should have gone.

Since I am pretty sure you were not around when the game was invented, you really have no idea how it was *meant* to be played.

Wasn't it meant to keep the goat herders from being bored? Give them something to do?

Sheep... Scottish shepherds are credited with being the first "golfers".

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

They will allow the Kutcher style of putting for one reason only, to give you something to hate.

Never mind, there will always be something that will deviate from the delusion that you are the patriarch of how the game was meant to be played.

Driver: Ping K15 10°, Mitsubishi Diamana Blueboard 63g Stiff
Fairway 4-wood: TaylorMade RocketBallz Tour TP 17.5°, Matrix Ozik TP7HD S shaft

Hybrids: Callaway Diablo Edge 3H-4H, Aldila DVS Stiff
Irons: MIURA PP-9003, Dynamic Gold Superlite S300, Sand Wedge: Scratch 8620 56°
Putter: Nike Method Concept Belly 44"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B330-S

Note: This thread is 3954 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!