IGNORED

Sergio Garcia states racial remark towards Tiger Woods

tmac20
Note: This thread is 3882 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Has Sergio Garcia officially taken this too far?

• Yes. He shouldn't have said that.
    • No. That remark wasn't racist.

What was on Tigers Masters menu? Steak and (fried?) chicken was it?

Tiger Woods, 2006: Stuffed jalapeno and quesadilla appetizers with salsa and guacamole; green salad; steak fajitas, chicken fajitas, Mexican rice, refried beans; apple pie and ice cream for dessert. Tiger Woods, 2003: Tiger brought back the porterhouse steak, chicken and sushi from his 2002 menu. Also on the menu were sashimi, salads, crab cakes, asparagus, mashed potatoes and a chocolate truffle cake. Tiger Woods, 2002: Porterhouse steak and chicken with a sushi appetizer. Tiger Woods, 1998: Cheeseburgers, chicken sandwiches, french fries , milkshakes. :banana:

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Zeph

Quote:

Originally Posted by luu5

What was on Tigers Masters menu? Steak and (fried?) chicken was it?

Tiger Woods, 2003: Tiger brought back the porterhouse steak, chicken and sushi from his 2002 menu. Also on the menu were sashimi, salads, crab cakes, asparagus, mashed potatoes and a chocolate truffle cake.

Tiger Woods, 1998: Cheeseburgers, chicken sandwiches, french fries, milkshakes.

Tiger Woods, 2002: Porterhouse steak and chicken with a sushi appetizer.

Tiger Woods, 2003: Tiger brought back the porterhouse steak, chicken and sushi from his 2002 menu. Also on the menu were sashimi, salads, crab cakes, asparagus, mashed potatoes and a chocolate truffle cake.

Tiger Woods, 2006: Stuffed jalapeno and quesadilla appetizers with salsa and guacamole; green salad; steak fajitas, chicken fajitas, Mexican rice, refried beans; apple pie and ice cream for dessert.

Source: Having troubling linking it: Google search "Champions Masters Menu" and click the top link.

Tiger ten minutes ago on Twitter:

Constantine

It shows that to Sergio, Tiger is a black person who does black people things.  He's in a room full of white people joking about Tiger eating fried chicken because he is black.  Stereotyping and laughing at someone for it, is racist.

• Upvote 3

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Originally Posted by dsc123

He's in a room full of white people joking about Tiger eating fried chicken because he is black.

I'm not sure this is the case, he is in England. There isn't a stereotype of black people eating chicken here. I only know about this connection because of the Fuzzy Zoeller incident. I'm sure Sergio knows about it, not sure how many others in the room would have got the joke.

Originally Posted by Wansteadimp

I'm not sure this is the case, he is in England. There isn't a stereotype of black people eating chicken here. I only know about this connection because of the Fuzzy Zoeller incident. I'm sure Sergio knows about it, not sure how many others in the room would have got the joke.

Everyone else doesn't have to get it for the joke to be racist.  And if he's in a room full of golfers and people in the golf industry, just like you, they probably did get it.

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

A racist is someone who believes one race is superior to another. Sergio's remark was a stereotype, but it wasn't racist - unless you make the argument that liking fried chicken makes one inferior to someone who doesn't.

Saying "We'll serve him friend chicken" COULD be racist if the undertone is something like "Because black people are of a lower class and intelligence they prefer fried chicken over "higher class" foods."

I really doubt that's what Sergio meant by the comment though - more likely his filter was caught off guard by the casual question and his desire to get some small jab in at tiger so he thought something like "Tiger - is black - hurr durr - blacks like friend chicken"

It was a stupid thing to say, but this is blown way way out of proportion and tiger's response doesn't help.

Originally Posted by Incite

A racist is someone who believes one race is superior to another. Sergio's remark was a stereotype, but it wasn't racist - unless you make the argument that liking fried chicken makes one inferior to someone who doesn't.

Saying "We'll serve him friend chicken" COULD be racist if the undertone is something like "Because black people are of a lower class and intelligence they prefer fried chicken over "higher class" foods."

I really doubt that's what Sergio meant by the comment though - more likely his filter was caught off guard by the casual question and his desire to get some small jab in at tiger so he thought something like "Tiger - is black - hurr durr - blacks like friend chicken"

It was a stupid thing to say, but this is blown way way out of proportion and tiger's response doesn't help.

In one sentence you say that you doubt Sergio meant to infer superiority AND that Sergio had a "desire to get some small jab in at Tiger."  The jab, i.e., insult...based on a stereotype....hmm.

Also, if you need a "filter" (i.e., something that purifies what might otherwise come out of your mouth) to avoid saying racist things in certain situations, then you're probably a racist.  I would not necessarily infer from what Sergio said that he is a racist (though I think his comment was racist), I'm just saying that "being caught off guard" isn't a defense to a racist joke.

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

Clearly Sergio will be limping for some time after having shot himself in the foot again with a stupid, immature comment. This snot nosed kid needs to grow up. We'll wait and see the reaction from Taylor Made and Adidas. His endorsement deals could go down in flames like Fuzzy's.

Sergio is a tool. Tiger knows that .He is probably laughing at Sergio's ignorance, I know I am. Jealousy rears it ugly head yet again.

In a dispute like this, the one who says the least will come out of it better. Safe to say Tiger is winning.
  • Upvote 1

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Originally Posted by dsc123

In one sentence you say that you doubt Sergio meant to infer superiority AND that Sergio had a "desire to get some small jab in at Tiger."  The jab, i.e., insult...based on a stereotype....hmm.

Also, if you need a "filter" (i.e., something that purifies what might otherwise come out of your mouth) to avoid saying racist things in certain situations, then you're probably a racist.  I would not necessarily infer from what Sergio said that he is a racist (though I think his comment was racist), I'm just saying that "being caught off guard" isn't a defense to a racist joke.

Uh yeah, Sergio and Tiger were in an argument which is why the question was asked in the first place. One can argue with a black guy without being racist.

Also, everyone has a filter, or do you just say whatever comes out of your mouth without thinking about it first? People are a product of their environment - some people are born in a racist environment (speaking generally here, not necessarily about Sergio) and subconsciously have racist thoughts that they cannot control. Filtering those out is expected and even admirable.

People have been put to death all over the world because of racism. It does a disservice to the memory of true racial atrocities when we blow up at the very slightest infringement dealing with fried chicken of all things. Where's the sense of context? The anchors on golf channel right now make me sick with their talk of "this is the most important 15 minutes of Sergio's life". No it's not. Shut up.

Sergio apologizes, but not to Tiger: "Sergio Garcia is apologizing for saying he would “serve fried chicken” while making a joke about having Tiger Woods over for dinner.

The British newspaper The Guardian reports Garcia was asked in jest while on stage at the European Tour’s awards dinner Tuesday night if he would invite Woods to dinner during the U.S. Open.

The Guardian reports Garcia said: “We will have him round every night. We will serve fried chicken.”

The newspaper says Garcia released a statement through the European Tour: “I apologise for any offence that may have been caused by my comment on stage during The European Tour Players’ Awards dinner. I answered a question that was clearly made towards me as a joke with a silly remark, but in no way was the comment meant in a racist manner.” Garcia has acknowledged not getting along with Woods." [URL=http://www.nhregister.com/articles/2013/05/21/sports/doc519c335a24b66077654176.txt]http://www.nhregister.com/articles/2013/05/21/sports/doc519c335a24b66077654176.txt[/URL] Sergio made a remark that is routinely aimed to make light of a certain race in a derogatory manner -- therefore, I'd call it a racist remark.

I'm watching a press conference Sergio gave earler this morning. He's clearly apologetic to Tiger.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by MacDutch

I am no Garcia fan and a big Tiger fan but.....

You guys are way too sensitive about this. No racial remark at all.

I agree with this pretty much 100%

Sometimes you make a comment that the second it leaves your mouth you think "that was dumb" but for these guys somebody is following them around all day writing down what they say.  I don't think it's a big deal and I don't think very many people were taking Sergio's side of this Sergio vs. Tiger debate even before the racist remarks.

Edit - apparently Tiger is offended on Twitter. I'm surprised. I was sure he was just going to let it go

For you guys who keep saying it was a sterotype - but not racist . . well, it *is* a stereotype .. about a particular race - so it's racist.

Wikipedia definition of racism: ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism )

Racism is usually defined as views, practices and actions reflecting the belief that humanity is divided into distinct biological groups called races and that members of a certain race share certain attributes which make that group as a whole less desirable, more desirable, inferior or superior . [ 1 ] [ 2 ] [ 3 ]

It is a racist stereotype that all black people like fried chicken.  It's certainly not the worst one out there - it's not even really bad, if you ask me.  But by saying it, Sergio was making a reference to the fact that Tiger is black and making light of it.  Obviously Sergio understood what the comment meant or else he wouldn't have said it - it would've made no sense to say he was going to make pot roast, for example.  He just said it without thinking - if he would've thought about it first, he wouldn't have said it.  This is not to say that, just because he said this, Sergio is prejudiced against black people - but it is a racist comment.

These days, making a racist joke of any kind is a major faux-pas so I'm sure the punishment will fit the crime ten times over.  It will be fun to watch Sergio squirm over the next few weeks and into the US Open.

• Upvote 1

I'm sorry, but using the words "fried chicken" in a flippant remark in reference to a black man is a racist comment.  Who is he trying to fool?

• Upvote 1

For you guys who keep saying it was a sterotype - but not racist . . well, it *is* a stereotype .. about a particular race - so it's racist.  Wikipedia definition of racism: ([URL=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism[/URL]) Racism is usually defined as views, practices and actions reflecting the belief that humanity is divided into distinct biological groups called [URL=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_(human_classification)][COLOR=0645AD]races[/COLOR][/URL] and that members of a certain race share certain attributes which make that group as a whole less desirable, more desirable, inferior or [URL=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supremacism][COLOR=0645AD]superior[/COLOR][/URL].[SUP][URL=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism#cite_note-1][SIZE=2][COLOR=0645AD][1][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL][/SUP][SUP][URL=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism#cite_note-2][SIZE=2][COLOR=0645AD][2][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL][/SUP][SUP][URL=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism#cite_note-schaefer-3][SIZE=2][COLOR=0645AD][3][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL][/SUP] It is a racist stereotype that all black people like fried chicken.  It's certainly not the worst one out there - it's not even really bad, if you ask me.  But by saying it, Sergio was making a reference to the fact that Tiger is black and making light of it.  Obviously Sergio understood what the comment meant or else he wouldn't have said it - it would've made no sense to say he was going to make pot roast, for example.  He just said it without thinking - if he would've thought about it first, he wouldn't have said it.  This is not to say that, just because he said this, Sergio is prejudiced against black people - but it is a racist comment.  These days, making a racist joke of any kind is a major faux-pas so I'm sure the punishment will fit the crime ten times over.  It will be fun to watch Sergio squirm over the next few weeks and into the US Open.

I wouldn't exactly hold Wikipedia up as the bastion of true information. Websters defines racism as the belief that one race is inferior to another race. What Sergio said was stupid and stereotypical but not racist, by the definition.

• Upvote 1
my get up and go musta got up and went..

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Note: This thread is 3882 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!