IGNORED

Sergio Garcia states racial remark towards Tiger Woods

tmac20
Note: This thread is 3861 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Has Sergio Garcia officially taken this too far?

• Yes. He shouldn't have said that.
    • No. That remark wasn't racist.

Originally Posted by saturday

It's still not racist. How those people in the predominantly black community perceive it still doesn't make it racist. It's a stereotype. If I ask a latino man if he wants a taco when he's at the restaurant it's crude, judgemental and STEREOTYPICAL. Not racist. I'll reiterate again, his remark was rude and not acceptable, but still isn't defined as racist.

Stereotypes are based upon many things... some on sex, some on race, some on other things. The fact is that this stereotype is based on race and therefore the comment was a racist one. If somebody used a stereotype that had something to do with women, it would be a sexist comment.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by JerryTimes

I guess I look at what being racist is differently.  To me, a racist comment would be something that was negative based on that persons race.  To me, while the comment is stupid, it's just stating a stereotype.  Tiger is also Asian, if he said he'd serve some sesame chicken, would you still think it's racist?  People need to relax.

What you clearly dont understand is that in the days of slavery in America, fried chicken was typically given to slaves as food.  It was a racist comment and if you dont understand that, you need to go back to high school and retake history class.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Originally Posted by tristanhilton85

Stereotypes are based upon many things... some on sex, some on race, some on other things. The fact is that this stereotype is based on race and therefore the comment was a racist one. If somebody used a stereotype that had something to do with women, it would be a sexist comment.

Exactly.  Thank you.  Clearly some people dont understand what the definition of the word, "racist" is.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I was in shock when I saw the quote...I immediately thought of Fuzzy and his racist remarks in 97....just an ugly moment for golf that will haunt Garcia for the rest of his life. If you're Taylormade/Adidas what do you do?

Originally Posted by Mike Seedleton

He has now apologised as this has been released

But he should of thought about what he was saying before he spoke.....

I have to say I respect him for that. Well worded, well delivered.

Folks,

To me (call me a bit desensitized being in the South), I call it ignorant and sterotypical. He didn't call out the guys name or heritage. He didn't disparge Tiger nor my Negritude (here is the definition: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/negritude ). To me (and only me, I guess), it was more of a haterism comment and figured to take a parting shot.

For the record, back in slavery my ancestors were given scraps or what was left from the harvest.. That include chitlings, hog mog, and assorted Black delicacies of today (known as Soul Food). Fried chicken was a means to prepare chicken that was (still is) commonplace in the South.

That said, Sergie should wear Fuzzy's Scarlet letter on Tour.

Believe me, I know when someone is being racist (My Blackdar goes off, and I get quite belligerent).

A great example is that Euro Tour official referring to dark skinned folks as Coloured. Thats racist in its pure form in my view.

"Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.."

Originally Posted by Conor

"but in no way was the comment meant in a racist manner." Please explain...

Do you eat Fried Chicken?

Driver      -  K15 10.5 w/ Ping TFC149D Shaft in stiff

4 Wood   -  Rapture V2 17.5* Aldila S-75

Hybrid    -   Super Hybrid SS 19* w/ Matrix Program

Irons      -   i20's 3-W, UW, SW & LW w/ KBS Tour Stiff +1/2" White Dot

Putter    -   White Ice #9 33"

Ball       -   B330-S & B330-RXS

D2 Feel

Bragging about a 200 yard 7 iron is not golf.

For all the posters claiming that the comment isn't racist (which blows me away by the by) lets try a little experiment. Head down to a predominantly black neighborhood and toss around some fried chicken and watermelon comments and report back. Bring a camera, some video will likely clear this up.

Just because comments might piss people off, that doesn't automatically mean those comments are racist.

Originally Posted by walk18

Just because comments might piss people off, that doesn't automatically mean those comments are racist.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

For all the posters claiming that the comment isn't racist (which blows me away by the by) lets try a little experiment. Head down to a predominantly black neighborhood and toss around some fried chicken and watermelon comments and report back. Bring a camera, some video will likely clear this up.

Silly.

Ping i15 9.0 (UST Mamiya S)

Cobra X-Speed 4+ Wood (Aldila S)

Cobra Baffler 3-Hybrid (19)

Mizuno JPX-825 Pro (4-GW) KBS Tour S

Cobra Rusty 55 SW

Cobra Rusty 59 LW

Never Compromise Gambler (34")

Exactly. Something Ernest still doesn't understand. You can't help it if someone perceives your comments the wrong way. Talk all you want Ernest about how it's racist... it isn't. Stereotype. Beating a dead horse.

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

Originally Posted by Grinder88

I was in shock when I saw the quote...I immediately thought of Fuzzy and his racist remarks in 97....just an ugly moment for golf that will haunt Garcia for the rest of his life. If you're Taylormade/Adidas what do you do?

Yes, but Fuzzy was worse .... "or collared greens ... or whatever those people eat..."

It takes longer for some of us to mature ... it took me a long time. Sergio is learning his lessons the hard way. Was his statement racist? Well, it was a stereotype used in a negative manner ... but I give Sergio the benefit of the doubt. He is emotional and he was trying to get even with Tiger - that thirst for revenge overcame common sense or rational thought. His apology was offered immediately and in a sincere manner.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Exactly. Something Ernest still doesn't understand. You can't help it if someone perceives your comments the wrong way. Talk all you want Ernest about how it's racist... it isn't. Stereotype. Beating a dead horse.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

People are way too sensitive nowadays.  Sergio was giving Tiger a little dig but what's the big deal about making a comment about ethnic food.  This is the big news in sports right now?  I don't remember Blacks making a big deal about the movie, Be Cool, where The Rock kept saying he was hungry for fried chicken and waffles.  So what situation makes it a ghastly racial slur?

Let's be truthful now, Blacks make fun of what White people eat too.  Mayonnaise and white bread ring a bell?  And so on and so forth with other ethnic groups and food.

And of course there's the double standard out there.  I remember when Fuzzy made his comments about Tiger, some writers dared bring up the racial stereotypes Woods had spoken about before.  Such as " Why do White women go after Black athletes.  Do they really think it's true what they say about Black men?"  That's way more demeaning than saying something about food but the press rallied around Tiger, making excuses for him like saying "Well, he's a young guy and doesn't know better than to say something like that."  Really?  And Tiger is going to make a comment about how hurt he is over what Sergio said?  What a hypocrite.

• Upvote 2

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

lol, damn your emoticons! I expected at least a dancing banana...

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

Quote:

Using a racial stereotype to take a shot at someone is racist.  If you can't see that then you have no understanding of the term.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Note: This thread is 3861 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!