IGNORED

Handicap Percentiles

doublesuited77
Note: This thread is 4090 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

10% are single digits handicaps. that seems very high.

Well, some are legitimately good golfers. Others are decently good golfers, and just post a high number now and then. Others have vanity handicaps -- they post a lower score than they really shot. It's the opposite of sandbagging.

How many times have you seen someone hit a tee shot OB, drop a ball near where it went OB, and hit that as their second (or even third) shot? If they post that score, it lowers their handicap below what it should be.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
How many times have you seen someone hit a tee shot OB, drop a ball near where it went OB, and hit that as their second (or even third) shot? If they post that score, it lowers their handicap below what it should be.

Not necessarily. Perhaps they're a single-digit golfer and they can only post double anyway.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

There's an interesting article on popeofslope.com that I read recently. Among other things, it mentioned that the USGA says that only about 4.5 million of the nations 26.4 million golfers have "official" indexes. That's about 17%.

Based on that, about 3% of all golfers have a handicap in the single figures. However, that is also missleading as there may be guys who can really play, like my father-in-law-before his neck and back issues, that never had a legit handicap but shoot low scores.

The average of 16.1 is also missleading as it would stand to reason that it is mostly the more serrious golfers who have an actual handicap. Following this logic would mean that they are likely better golfers than the majority of the people who are not as serrious and don't have a handicap. I am a 17.5 as of last week. I am also, sad to say, the best player in my league and of the regulars I play with. I am also the only one with a true handicap.
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

What's the big deal with having an official USGA handicap? The only thing you'd need it for would be to enter sanctioned events. If you're looking to gamble with someone based on their handicap and you hold back because they don't have a USGA 'cap, that's just stupid because who's to say this stranger with a USGA card that says 7 actually scores himself correctly? I enter my scores on the internet in any of various handicap calculators and it spits out my handicap. I know it's correct and legitimate because I know and abide by the rules of golf. To hell with a USGA card.

Home Course:
Town of Colonie (69.7-70.1, 119-125)

Not necessarily. Perhaps they're a single-digit golfer and they can only post double anyway.

Good point. I forgot about that rule.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

• Administrator
What's the big deal with having an official USGA handicap? The only thing you'd need it for would be to enter sanctioned events.

Virtually every town of any size has a golf association with little regional tournaments, often played on good courses, so don't diss these "sanctioned" events. It's not just USGA events.

At my club, every event requires them - member-guests, league play, everything. It's more than just member-guests. Additionally, if you're trying to improve, a handicap is one measure. If I never played in a "sanctioned" event I'd still have a handicap for tracking purposes. Even if you're playing against friends handicaps are the fairest way to determine who gets what number of strokes.
If you're looking to gamble with someone based on their handicap and you hold back because they don't have a USGA 'cap, that's just stupid because who's to say this stranger with a USGA card that says 7 actually scores himself correctly?

See, there's this thing about golf, and being honest and having integrity... there's also common sense: you don't bet more than a "small amount" (whatever that means to you) against someone who could be sandbagging you. You either verify it and bet as much as you want or you don't.

Besides, my handicap is under the GHIN system, which the USGA oversees but doesn't own. Your handicaps are "USGA" handicaps as much as mine are except that mine has an official committee (the handicap committee) at my club and a few other things. They're all calculated with the USGA rules.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 weeks later...
Unofficial handicap indexes are useless, and I'd never bet someone who didn't have a real index because there is no way to verify it. I'd hazard to guess that people who don't play in events where ALL the rules are followed don't know half of the rules and don't really shoot what they think they shoot because they are unknowingly shaving stokes by not understanding what are penalties and how you should play your next shot after a penalty, not to mention rampant gimmie putts of 4'+.

Different people have different goals.. I track my performance just as a way to gauge my improvement as a golfer. I haven't entered tournaments, and the only people I bet with are my buddies who know my game. So, to me, an official index is useless. I have a goal to get down to a mid single digit (5-6) index, so I keep track to measure my progress. I also like having the handicap differential for a round, factoring in course rating and slope, since I try many new courses it's a good way to judge true performance on a wide variety of courses.

In past years, I did track my index through the NCGA (Nothern California Golf Association). It's not like there is someone checking the validity of submissions at the course or for Internet submissions. On the other hand, most of the incorrect submissions I have seen were reverse sandbagging.. Guys not playing by the rules, taking lower scores than they deserved and getting their vanity handicap low.

TM Burner Tour Driver | TM R9 3W | Nike VR 21° Hyhrid | Mizuno MP-60 4-PW | Vokey Wedges 56°, 60°| Cameron Kombi Putter

I don't care about guys with "liberal" scorekeeping. I love them in a tournament. Played one last weekend in my club championship and beat him 7 & 6. I also love to bet with them too! Can you say...."El Foldo?"

Driver- Geek Dot Com This! 12 degree Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 Stiff
Adams Tour Issue 4350 Dual Can Matrix Ozik Xcon 5

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

Different people have different goals.. I track my performance just as a way to gauge my improvement as a golfer. I haven't entered tournaments, and the only people I bet with are my buddies who know my game. So, to me, an official index is useless. I have a goal to get down to a mid single digit (5-6) index, so I keep track to measure my progress. I also like having the handicap differential for a round, factoring in course rating and slope, since I try many new courses it's a good way to judge true performance on a wide variety of courses.

At my club they do check tournament score postings which is an important indicator as to what a players ability is. We have about one a month.

What's In The Bag
Driver: TM Burner stiff
3i Cleveland Hibore Hybrid
3-6: MX-23
7-PW: MP-60 Project X 5.5SW: Golden Bear hybridLW/GW Cleveland 60* and Tour Edge 50*Putter: two bar rifle malletBall: NXT TourHome Course: Raintree CC 70.7/126 North 71/130 Southhttp://stink.net

At my club they do check tournament score postings which is an important indicator as to what a players ability is. We have about one a month.

Yeah, tournament scores are probably the best indicator.

In Europe, don't they use only tournament rounds in handicap calculation?

TM Burner Tour Driver | TM R9 3W | Nike VR 21° Hyhrid | Mizuno MP-60 4-PW | Vokey Wedges 56°, 60°| Cameron Kombi Putter

What's the big deal with having an official USGA handicap? The only thing you'd need it for would be to enter sanctioned events. If you're looking to gamble with someone based on their handicap and you hold back because they don't have a USGA 'cap, that's just stupid because who's to say this stranger with a USGA card that says 7 actually scores himself correctly? I enter my scores on the internet in any of various handicap calculators and it spits out my handicap. I know it's correct and legitimate because I know and abide by the rules of golf. To hell with a USGA card.

If you have no official handicap, no money game with me unless you want to play off scratch.

Driver- Geek Dot Com This! 12 degree Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 Stiff
Adams Tour Issue 4350 Dual Can Matrix Ozik Xcon 5

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

• 1 year later...
I'd guess the USGA statistic is at least slightly skewed in favor of low handicappers (says 10% below 6; should be 10% below 10?). I'd guess most good golfers keep a handicap either because it's required by their club, they play in tournaments (club or otherwise), or because they are serious about golf and want to track their progress. Rec/Casual golfers might be less likely to keep a handicap. As others have posted, and as in our club, you can't even play in any tournaments without an established handicap...even if it's a 36!

I don't know if their handicap chart includes all tracked handicaps or just GHIN. Our club recently went off GHIN to a third-party USGA conforming system. But, I've talked to PLENTY of "golfers", many of whom don't have current (or any) handicaps. So, if *every* so called golfer kept a handicap, I'm sure single-digit would be top 10%.

As for what it takes, in two years of playing daily, I went from 38 (course adjusted) to 14 and could see myself around +1 to 1 (would we call that minus 1??) with another year or two of daily golf. If *every* golfer took it seriously, I'd bet Joe Average could easily be a 15, meaning 50% would be better than a 15. It's not that way just because so many people are very occasional golfers.

I guess the importance of the statistic depends on what you are trying to do. If you're trying to enter the City Amateur, you should ask them what the typical handicap is (usually they have a limit of 5 or 6; US Am is 1.2 I think). Knowing that you're better than 10% of established handicaps may or may not be relevant. If it's just for bragging, then good news. I'd argue that if the chart says you're in the top 15%, you're probably really in the top 10% of all golfers.

i would not copletely trust that usga chart. I play with a kid who has a 6.1, while i have around an 8.5 right now. I consistantly shoot 2 shots lower than him for 9 holes...he only submits his scores when he gets intot he 70's.

i would not copletely trust that usga chart. I play with a kid who has a 6.1, while i have around an 8.5 right now. I consistantly shoot 2 shots lower than him for 9 holes...he only submits his scores when he gets intot he 70's.

Your friend's an idiot. He's only hurting himself. The reverse sandbagger, gotta love 'em!

I turn in everything that's not a solo-practice round. Anything I shoot with a group of 2,3 or 4 (or God forbid 5) people in the group get's turned in, whether it's 72 or 85.

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

• 3 years later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
None

Well, some are legitimately good golfers. Others are decently good golfers, and just post a high number now and then. Others have vanity handicaps -- they post a lower score than they really shot. It's the opposite of sandbagging.

Exactly Shindig,  There are so many "anti-baggers"-supposed single-digit handicaps.  Guys who never putt anything under 4-5 feet (or count it if they miss), don't know the meaning of a provisional (or would never subject themselves to the trepidation of hitting 3...5...7 off the tee: the proverbial "f*ck it, I'll just drop one up there").  Generally these guys never show up for competitive play: state/city/provincial qualifying/amateurs etc. because they know deep down they're not legit.  Or if they do, they're shocked to have posted "their worst round in years"!   It is truly difficult to play with these types, especially when they make a point of saying they 'beat' you !!  Legit single digits (ie rules of golf), by percentile-I'm thinking like 5-7% of all golfers, tops.

Originally Posted by MyrtleBeachGolf

How does a thread from 4 years ago resurface like this?

Yea...no kidding!

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

I think it happens this way a lot.  Cowtown was probably wondering what the handicap percentiles were, googled it, found this, and signed up to reply.  Never noticed the date.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Note: This thread is 4090 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!