IGNORED

Your favorite -- or least favorite -- golf clichés

Q.Q.Quillume
Note: This thread is 5305 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I routinely get paired up with people that think they can the ball further than they really can because they hit it long ONCE in there life and I get this STUPID cliche when they ball is clearly twenty or thirty yards short:

"Get UP!" Like it is hitting the front of the green and they JUST need it to release and not bounce off THREE straight cart paths to get there!

HOW ABOUT HITTING ONE MORE CLUB after missing 17 straight greens short!

In My University of Kentucky Bag:

R9 460
R9 T3
TP Rescue 17, 21 degree R7 TP 3-PW W/ Project X 6.0 Rac Z TP Wedges 50, 54, 58 Rife Two Bar Hybrid Mallet TP Black Pro V1

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Least favorite: Get in the hole.

Favorite: Sir, you are being ejected for yelling "get in the hole".

Instight XTD A30S Driver 10.5° ($69 new ebay)
Instight XTD A3OS Fairway Wood 15° ($45 new ebay)
Fybrid 19.5° ($35 new ebay)
Ci7 4-GW ($175 new Rock Bottom Golf via ebay)
53° & 58° 8620 DD wedges ($75 each new PGA Superstore) C2-DF ($35 new Rock Bottom Golf) Riley TT stand bag ($7 n...

Short putts - "Skate!!", "Get legs", "Your slip is showing"

Long putts - "hit a house"

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

• 4 weeks later...
"Never up, never in" Really. I didn't know that. No one should say that to someone holding a weapon who just missed a putt that would have gone in save half a turn of the ball.

PrairieParson
From Lubbock, Texas: the Heart of Flyover Country.
Ping G-15 Driver 12 deg.
Mizuno MP-33 Irons
Ball: White, mostly round and lots of dimplesScores this year: 78

the phrase topped it, chunked it... I hate people saying FORE.. if not need

I hate people saying watch this... they usualy on display FAIL

I hate people talking while I hit, or using me as an example of what not to do

I hate people thinking only doctors golf... although I saw one playing the back 9 in scrubs...wtf

4dx hybrid Graphite Irons
3-4 Hybrid
Pipe Putter
Titleist Pro V1...I lose enough of em
Revolver Pro 440sz

Best one---to say on the first tee when a short hitter like me is playing in a foursome with a Big Boomer: "I like this course. The woods are full of the balls of the long hitters."

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

I used to play with a guy who came out with some brilliant lines.

Like you hit a horror shot off the tee. You come down about an inch or two behind the ball and fat it up in the air about 30 feet. He'd say "well you did have a bloody awful lie"

Or you do an air shot and he'd say "you can see why this is stroke index one"

One day he did an air shot on the first and turned round and said "my home course is higher than this"

In the bag......
Driver: Ping G10 10.5 Prolaunch Red regular.
3 wood: Ping G10 15.5 Prolaunch Red regular.
5 wood: Ping G10 18.5 Prolaunch Red regular.
Hybrids: Ping i15 20 degree AWT regular (on order!)4-PW: Ping i15 AWT regularGap Wedge: Ping Tour-W 50/12 AWT regular (on order!)Sand Wedge:...

A few years ago I was on a par 5. Had a side hill lie, in the rough, over water some 200 yards of carry...or I could throw a 7 iron out to the right and hit another short iron to the green. I stand of the shot considering the options, I grab a 7 from my bag and as I pull it out my buddy says "the Lord hates a coward"...so I pull out the 5 wood and dunk it into the water. That was 5 or 6 years ago and at least once a round he his quoted on that...

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

"the number one thing to remember" head down, grip, address, swing speed, etc.
It seems like every time someone gives me advise it starts with that phrase.

Current Bag
Ogio Synchro cart
'07 Burner Driver, 3 Fairway, and Rescue 5
Early Titelist Cavities
200 56, Spin milled 60 , Rossa  Suzuka

I don't like people who talk to thier ball after they hit it. "Bite!" "Sit!" "Be good" . .etc, etc. It's one thing to do it every once in a while when a shot is particulary close but it quickly gets annoying - especially when the shot has no chance.

Recently I got paired up with a guy who talked to his ball after every shot. Sometimes reprimanding it . sometimes pleading with it, etc, etc. Another guy in the group chimed in with what is now one of my favorites - "It's tough to find the one ball in the dozen with ears"

I often find myself making comments like "hit that one fat" or "got all of that one". Or, recently, after holing out with an X for the hole (too many strokes - pick up) I say something like "It might take me 6 or 7 to get up but I always get in in 5" . .and then wink.

how bout when you get a bad bounce off of a green..or a bad roll and someone says: "That's golf"
just like someone saying: "that's poker"
DJ Yoshi
Official DJ: Rutgers Football
Boost Mobile Tour
In My Bag
HiBoreXL 9.5 White Board D63 Stiff Exotics CB2 5 Wood, Exotics CB3 3 Wood MP-60 5.5 Flighted Shafts 54 & Cleveland CG-10 60 Newport 2

I started to do a quick list, then as it grew I realized that most cliches bug me, because they are - cliches . Two that really annoy me are referring to clubs as "weapons" and "hitting the big ball before the little one."

It always makes me laugh when I play with Grant at my home course. Once when hitting his pitch on a short par 4 he flew the second tier and went off the back of the green. He was like "Go! Go...go,go. Nice now stay there" Or if he comes up short he says "Whoa! easy!" One time he hit a wedge shot over the green it skipped and started going up a hill behind the green he said "Go! Get up that hill!"

What about an iron that lands pin high then back spins off the green into a bunker?

A quote from Kris
...is that college bball really isn't "lower tier". The better teams have their rosters filled with guys who could play in the NBA. hell, guys used to come straight from high school to the NBA. I really don't think there's much of a difference skill-wise between the two.

Note: This thread is 5305 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!