IGNORED

Help with SW (bounce) for pitching...??

RoyJeeBiv
Note: This thread is 3962 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

i did a search and found some useful information, just wanted a little specific clarification before i make a possible SW swap... i'm a firm believer of trying everything to see what works, but verification always helps the decision!!

i'm having a lot of trouble with my pitch shots.  i can dial in my GW (50*) fairly well on half swings, though on occasion it will run out more than i anticipate.  so when i try my SW to get a little more loft, i'm terribly inconsistent for a variety of reasons... some of which is definitely my own fault and fixable (i.e. decelerating at times), but unless i'm sitting in the deep grass i will frequently skull the ball and get into even worse trouble -- which makes me ...

i fear the bounce on my SW might be too much (56*, 14* bounce) for my regular pitch shots.  it's been $$ out of the sand for me in the past, but there are very few bunkers on my weekly course and thankfully i haven't hit any (so far) this season.

so i'm curious if a 57* SW (with 10* bounce) would suit me better for those pitch shots...??  i should think 10* of bounce would still be good for various bunkers when i find them, and a good 'middle ground' for tight lies (at least compared to my current SW)... unless i'm off-base with those assumptions??  should weather factor into the equation, if this summer is anything like last year in Iowa, i imagine the course conditions will be pretty hard.

(i should also mention i'm not quite ready to drop the $$ on a LW, but if the 57* SW suits me better as a versatile club inside 100yds, i'll be bypassing a LW altogether.)

any thoughts you have would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

rjb

-- In the Bag --

Cobra S3 White Driver (10.5*)

Cobra AMP Cell-S 3-Hybrid (18*)

Cobra AMP Cell-S Irons (4i-GW)

SCOR 4161 Forged Wedge (55*)

Cleveland VP1 Putter

It's not the amount of bounce but the grind of the leading edge which may be the problem - the leading edge may be lifted off the ground instead of hugging the turf.

My 55 has 14 of bounce but the leading edge hugs the ground, it's the same with my 60 - it has 18 of bounce but the leading edge hugs the ground.

Bounce actually helps the club glide along the turf if you hit the ball fat. The problem on tight lies will be the grind towards the leading edge. If the leading edge stands off the ground, it will be less forgiving.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hi Iowa Bob.

Check out this thread, http://thesandtrap.com/t/39411/quickie-pitching-video , it is a real game changer. Most members of this forum have adopted this style of pitching and the results are fantastic. The more bounce the better, you just have to be sure your using it right. I use a 56-14 SW and a 60-08 LW, whenever I have an iffy lie it's always the 56-14 coming out. This thread took a major weakness and turned it into one of the strongest parts of my game.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

It's not the amount of bounce but the grind of the leading edge which may be the problem - the leading edge may be lifted off the ground instead of hugging the turf.

My 55 has 14 of bounce but the leading edge hugs the ground, it's the same with my 60 - it has 18 of bounce but the leading edge hugs the ground.

Bounce actually helps the club glide along the turf if you hit the ball fat. The problem on tight lies will be the grind towards the leading edge. If the leading edge stands off the ground, it will be less forgiving.

I have to agree, i have a 58 and a 52 wedges. The 52 has a grind that is meant for full shots, but it still has a high bounce on it. I've duffed chips with that club to many times. I can take the same set up with my 58, it has a grind that lets the bounce stay more active in the chips and pitches. I can hit slightly behind the ball and the bounce will help carry it through the shot. It sounds kinda double strike, club hit ground, then hit ball. But the ball comes out a bit shorter, but less spin, so it rolls out, it doesn't turn out to be that bad of a shot.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

fantastic information and videos!! glad i didn't act too quickly; i'll take some of this to the range and work exclusively with my current SW for a while.

many thanks, guys!!

-- In the Bag --

Cobra S3 White Driver (10.5*)

Cobra AMP Cell-S 3-Hybrid (18*)

Cobra AMP Cell-S Irons (4i-GW)

SCOR 4161 Forged Wedge (55*)

Cleveland VP1 Putter

Originally Posted by saevel25

I can hit slightly behind the ball and the bounce will help carry it through the shot. It sounds kinda double strike, club hit ground, then hit ball. But the ball comes out a bit shorter, but less spin, so it rolls out, it doesn't turn out to be that bad of a shot.

Sounds as if the leading edge did catch the ball a bit.

I once used a Titleist 60-10, and when I was exact, I got a nice pitch with the bounce - spin, launch, and everything that is good in the game of golf. But when the leading edge came off the ground, yes, I'd get a lower shot with more rollout. Disasters went across the green.

With the Edel Wedge, I can use a vertical shaft or lay the shaft back and hit it fat by several inches and still get a high launch with spin - the leading edge hugs. The secret is the grind with lots of bounce.

It's also a confidence issue. If you see that leading edge off the ground, it's tension city. If it's hugging, you're more relaxed.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Originally Posted by RoyJeeBiv

i did a search and found some useful information, just wanted a little specific clarification before i make a possible SW swap... i'm a firm believer of trying everything to see what works, but verification always helps the decision!!

i'm having a lot of trouble with my pitch shots.  i can dial in my GW (50*) fairly well on half swings, though on occasion it will run out more than i anticipate.  so when i try my SW to get a little more loft, i'm terribly inconsistent for a variety of reasons... some of which is definitely my own fault and fixable (i.e. decelerating at times), but unless i'm sitting in the deep grass i will frequently skull the ball and get into even worse trouble -- which makes me ...

i fear the bounce on my SW might be too much (56*, 14* bounce) for my regular pitch shots.  it's been $$ out of the sand for me in the past, but there are very few bunkers on my weekly course and thankfully i haven't hit any (so far) this season.

so i'm curious if a 57* SW (with 10* bounce) would suit me better for those pitch shots...??  i should think 10* of bounce would still be good for various bunkers when i find them, and a good 'middle ground' for tight lies (at least compared to my current SW)... unless i'm off-base with those assumptions??  should weather factor into the equation, if this summer is anything like last year in Iowa, i imagine the course conditions will be pretty hard.

(i should also mention i'm not quite ready to drop the $$ on a LW, but if the 57* SW suits me better as a versatile club inside 100yds, i'll be bypassing a LW altogether.)

any thoughts you have would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

rjb

Your issue is part of why I actually carry 2 sand wedges, a 54° at 11° bounce (Vokey) and a 56° at 10° bounce (CG15).  I had a higher bounce SW at one time, but didn't care for it.  I use my 56° as a general purpose wedge, and the 54° is my dedicated SW.  I don't carry anything higher than 56°.  To be honest, 90% of my greenside chipping and pitching is done with my 8I, PW and GW.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Note: This thread is 3962 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!