IGNORED

Is the Taylor Made R1 driver really worth the hype??

Note: This thread is 3987 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am considering purchasing this club, but don't like the look of it with the white head design. If the results outweigh the looks, then I will give it a try. What do you think? Thanks -F

If you're like most people who are sufficiently open-minded to try it, the aversion to the white dissipates. The head looks bigger and is easier to aim. I like the R1 even more than last year's all white number.

The R1 seems to be a low spin driver with excellent speed numbers. It is not the most forgiving driver out there, but is forgiving enough for its market.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am considering purchasing this club, but don't like the look of it with the white head design. If the results outweigh the looks, then I will give it a try. What do you think? Thanks -F

I've now played golf clubs with black heads, white heads, red heads, and silver heads. My brain completely tuned out the color within a few minutes. I imagine it'd be ever easier if all of your woods were the same color. I would say that if the color is the only thing you don't like about the club, buy it.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I reviewed both the R1 and the Rocketballz Stage 2 for TST. Both are in my bag. My thoughts are the R1 goes, it is longer than the Stage 2, but the Stage 2 is more forgiving and I am in the fairway much more often. I hit some absolute bombs with the R1, but sometimes it bombs into adjacent fairways.

I don't even notice the graphics anymore. I would be really surprised if any owners of the club did after the first few rounds with it.

My reviews are here:

http://thesandtrap.com/b/clubs/taylormade_rocketballz_stage_2_driver_review

http://thesandtrap.com/b/clubs/taylormade_r1_driver_review

Michael

I've hit the R1 and I just didn't like the feel. I currently have the RBZ driver (1st gen) and find it a lot more forgiving than the R1. If you're looking for max adjustability I'd suggest the R11S, great driver. Otherwise try out the Rocketballz, you'll save some money instead of goiung to the stage 2 also.

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

Sure...go demo the R1 and demo other drivers too.  Low spin, unforgiving drivers are probably not the best fit for most of us but go see for yourself.

Personally, I wouldn't want to buy a club that I thought was ugly, but that's just one guys opinion.

Cleveland Classic XL 10.5 Rombax 6X07
Titleist 904F Aldila NV
Nickent 3DX hybrid

MX-25 irons & MP-R wedges

Odyssey #5

Leopold GX1/Skycaddie SG5

Sun Mountain Hybrid Bag

Worth the hype?  Not really.  Its a good driver but if you have a driver that was made in the past 5 years its not worth upgrading, IMO.  Like most everything else TM, you have to look past the marketing and smoke 'n mirrors.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I've owned an R1 since April. With swing changes, I'm still growing accustomed to it.

If the R1 "hype" is adjustability, then yes, if you want the ability to make changes over a relatively large range  or your swing is changing, the R1 is worth it. They have an app that you can download for adjustment assistance on the range. It works.

When I lash out at the R1 with all I've got, that's where it shows its lack of forgiveness. I do that on the range. When I dial back the speed (whatever speed I have) a tad, it is sufficiently forgiving for me - a nice draw.

As to feel, I think stock feel is very good - not too loud and not too soft. Some say the feel is different (better) when hit on the screws. Feel is subjective. I don't think the 913 has great feel. I preferred the R1. The best feeling driver I've demoed is the XHot.

As to the R1, I had my club guy put a tiny bit of hotmelt in it to soften up the feel and quiet it down slightly.

When used Stage 2's start popping up, I may give one a shot later in the year since I have a nice aftermarket shaft from another driver waiting for it. Or I may try the XHot.

Try the XHot Drivers from Callaway - hotter feel, nice stock shaft, if a little soft. Excellent driver.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

The price of the R1 is now 349, so that makes it a relative bargain in The fully adjustable market

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

The price of the R1 is now 349, so that makes it a relative bargain in The fully adjustable market

I could go to any Golf Galaxy and buy a Nike Covert for $299.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Originally Posted by GaijinGolfer

I could go to any Golf Galaxy and buy a Nike Covert for $299.

Gosh, can't do Nike...

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

Gosh, can't do Nike...

That's not what you said. Point, Gaijin.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

That's not what you said. Point, Gaijin.

Hah ... I was trying to be humorous and it didnt' work.

I don't do Nike at the moment , so it doesn't represent value to me. To some, it may be the same w Taylormade.

Value is in the eye of the beholder.

The last Nike I purchased was the original SQ. A nice effort ... but the sound of the SQ 2 still rings in my ears years later ... the loudest tin can. It stopped people at the range and caused them to wonder ... who would make such a horrific sounding club? Well, Nike... and I haven't been tempted to go near a Nike club since that time...

Note: This thread is 3987 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!