IGNORED

The Sound of my Putter.

Note: This thread is 3957 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I recently purchased a Ping Sydney Putter. I after reading the reviews online (Something I should have done before I made the purchase), one of the chief complaints was the sound the putter made. I can understand feel and performance, but I don't understand how "Sound" can make a difference with a putter.

Sound translates into feel.  If a putter has a clicky sound at impact, if creates the feeling of harshness.  Some of the softer putters out there make more of a dull thud at impact and that sound translates into the putter feeling soft.

Sound is feel.

• Upvote 1

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Originally Posted by RadioCop

...I can understand feel and performance, but I don't understand how "Sound" can make a difference with a putter.

IMO, it's a largely personal thing (as is the case with putters in general).  My Ping Scottsdale makes a pronounced "Ping!" sound (appropriately enough) when striking the ball.  I like the sound; others who have tried my putter had mixed feelings about it.  I also have a TM Corza Ghost which emits a much more muted 'clunk' - it never bothered me, but I like the sound of the Ping better.  Probably not coincidentally, I putt better with the Ping.

I liken it to the psychological effect of how your irons look to you at address; if you don't like the look and don't feel confident standing over it, you're probably not going to play well with the clubs.  If you don't like the sound of your putter, you're going to think about it every time you putt and it can get into your head and screw with your game.  As GaijinGolfer said, sound is part of the feel.

Bottom line - if you like the putter and how it sounds/feels/performs, who cares what other peoples' reviews say?

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

IMHO, sound is a proxy for feel. I do not think we can feel as much difference as we can hear. Therefore we think we feel differences that are bases on our ears.

That "click" sound that some people like high pitched and others like lower and still others like none at all. Some like it loud and other others muted. All that can be changed a bunch by changing balls. I do not like loud click sounding balls off my white ice insert. Some balls have that click sound and it makes me think they are harder. They may be harder but does that actually translate much to distance control? I am guessing what I "feel" is largely informed by my ears. I think that link between our ears and our heads is why people care so much about sound -- it is a proxy for feel. Putters and putter inserts change the sound interaction with balls. But, at the extremes, I don't imaging any putter making hardly any sound when striking a Srixon Soft Feel ball. And, I do not recall any ball making a "click" off the white hot insert putters.

Not sure what other grip about with the Ping, but if you want to hear and feel a harder or softer feel when putting your ball, change balls.

My guess is that you will love your new putter. Go out and find the ball that feels (I mean sounds) the best to you on the greens.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

Originally Posted by rustyredcab

IMHO, sound is a proxy for feel. I do not think we can feel as much difference as we can hear. Therefore we think we feel differences that are bases on our ears.

That "click" sound that some people like high pitched and others like lower and still others like none at all. Some like it loud and other others muted. All that can be changed a bunch by changing balls. I do not like loud click sounding balls off my white ice insert. Some balls have that click sound and it makes me think they are harder. They may be harder but does that actually translate much to distance control? I am guessing what I "feel" is largely informed by my ears. I think that link between our ears and our heads is why people care so much about sound -- it is a proxy for feel. Putters and putter inserts change the sound interaction with balls. But, at the extremes, I don't imaging any putter making hardly any sound when striking a Srixon Soft Feel ball. And, I do not recall any ball making a "click" off the white hot insert putters.

Not sure what other grip about with the Ping, but if you want to hear and feel a harder or softer feel when putting your ball, change balls.

My guess is that you will love your new putter. Go out and find the ball that feels (I mean sounds) the best to you on the greens.

I find that the harder covered, "distance" balls make more of a click at impact, whereas the softer, urethane covered balls sound much softer and make more of a dull thud.

Thats one of the reasons why Im such a big fan of the Bridgestone E5.  Its got a soft cover but costs about half of what a tour ball does.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

If it sounds good, then it more than likely feels good. I currently am using a Carbite Polar Balanced and it produces a solid thwack each time. It's a little louder than my Odssey White #2. I think that the sound can inspire confidence. I had a friend that used to use a Ping 1 A (I believe that is the model ~ the one that produces the "ping" sound) and I didn't like the "ping" sound it made at all. He did however, but it drove me nuts!! We know skill is involved in putting, but I would not discount emotion entirely. Again, if you have a good feeling about a club or the way it looks or sounds, then you may subconsciously be inspired when you strike the ball with it.

Driver: Adams TightLies Titanium High Launch Max COR (10.5°) R Flex Graphite SuperShaft Lightweight Mid Kickpoint, GolfPride Multicompound Grip

Fairway Wood: Ping G20 4-Wood (16.5°), R Flex Ping TFC 169F Shaft, Ping ID8 Grip | Hybrid: Ping G25 (23°), Ping TFC 189H Shaft, GolfPride Tour Velvet Grip

Irons: Cleveland TA-5 Gunmetal R Flex True Temper Sensicore Shafts, BlackWidow Widowmaker Black/Black Grips: 5-I (27°) 6-I (30°), 7-I (33.5°), 8-I (37°), 9-I (41°), PW (45°)

Wedges: Cleveland Tour Action REG 588 Gunmetal Dynamic Gold Sensicore Shafts, BlackWidow Widowmaker Black/Red Grips: 51°/6, 57°/10, LW 64°/8

Putter: Carbite Polar Balanced DC, Tiger Shark Oversized Grip 31"

I have a Cameron Futura that has a distinct ting sound. It took me a while to get used to it. The sound the ball makes rattling around in the hole after making a putt helped me get over it.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Ping is known for the louder sound, not only on the putters, i think the woods do the same thing.

I never was a Ping fan, and i think never will be.

I've got a TM Ghost tour series putter and with my latest grip change ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 ) i'm holing

more putts than ever. But the TM makes a softer noise i kinda like that.

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

Agreed with the posters about sound and feel working together.  My SC Newport Beach has a sound slot cut into the face that give a nice "pop" sound on good contact.  I don't like the sound/feel of composite faces.  Some of the milled faces of putters sound nice.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 3957 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!