IGNORED

Shoprite LPGA Classic Preview & Pairings

Tontj5
Note: This thread is 3952 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Okay, I admit that what we saw this past week was bizarre. It certainly was not what I would want to be watching every week, but it was kind of interesting. Once again we had an exciting finish, with the winner not determined until the final hole.

I have read most of the criticism that has been posted in many of the golf forums regarding how this tournament was handled. I could not disagree more. I think the LPGA did a wonderful job in making the best of a most unfortunate situation. Many of the posts I read stated that the tournament should have been cancelled. I think that is very short sighted. We have to look at the big picture. This was an inaugural tournament, with a brand new sponsor. Losing the Pro-Am was bad enough. Walking away would not have been in the best interest of anyone involved. With the current state of our economy, the LPGA can not afford to lose a tournament, especially one in this tropical paradise.
I say we give 3 cheers to the decision makers over at the LPGA for getting together and finding a way to bring us golf this past week. For those complainers, you can press your remote and watch something else.
I for one was thankful that I got to see the women play.

Now that that is off my chest we can look ahead to this coming week's tournament. The LPGA moves to my home state of New Jersey, for the playing of the Shoprite LPGA Classic Presented by Acer. This tournament is 54 holes.

This will be tournament #11 of 28 this year, and will lead into the following week's Major Championship in Rochester, N.Y.

Here are the key details:

http://www.tonyslpgareport.com/2013/05/shoprite-lpga-classic-preview-pairings.html

A brief summary of "what we saw this past week" and why it was "bizarre" would be helpful to those who sometimes follow the LPGA tour but didn't catch anything about last week's tournament.

Thanks.

In my bag: - Ping G20 driver, 10.5 deg. S flex - Ping G20 3W, 15 deg., S flex - Nickent 4dx 3H, 4H - Nike Slingshot 4-PW - Adams Tom Watson 52 deg. GW - Vokey 58 deg. SW -Ping Half Wack-E putter

Originally Posted by Wisguy

A brief summary of "what we saw this past week" and why it was "bizarre" would be helpful to those who sometimes follow the LPGA tour but didn't catch anything about last week's tournament.

Thanks.

Most of which was explained, or a link to the explanation was provided, in the thread to last week's tournament.

Originally Posted by Tontj5

Most of which was explained, or a link to the explanation was provided, in the thread to last week's tournament.

You spent more time making the above excuse than it would have taken to have written "The tournament was weather-shortened because of nearly a foot of rain."  Somewhat flippantly assuming that someone has read your last thread increases the odds that the reader won't bother with your next one.

In my bag: - Ping G20 driver, 10.5 deg. S flex - Ping G20 3W, 15 deg., S flex - Nickent 4dx 3H, 4H - Nike Slingshot 4-PW - Adams Tom Watson 52 deg. GW - Vokey 58 deg. SW -Ping Half Wack-E putter

Thanks.

Originally Posted by Tontj5

You spent more time making the above excuse than it would have taken to have written "The tournament was weather-shortened because of nearly a foot of rain."  Somewhat flippantly assuming that someone has read your last thread increases the odds that the reader won't bother with your next one.

To be equally fair ... you spent way more time criticising him and trying to pick a fight than it would have taken to find the thread for last week's tournament.  (He starts every one of them - if you occasionally follow the LPGA you probably already knew that -, hover over his name, click on "threads started" and boom, the last one is right below this one ... takes about 6 seconds)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks.

I would think that anyone who is serious enough about golf to be on this site and to open a post about the LPGA would have at minimum heard some of the news about last week's tournament. The Golf Channel had comprehensive coverage. I find your later post to be overly critical. Tony is an asset to this site and really supports the LPGA which otherwise would be talked about solely in terms of the attractiveness of it's members.

• Upvote 1

Here are the leaders after round 2:

1 Shanshan Feng -6 F
2 Haeji Kang -3 F
2 Moriya Jutanugarn -3 F
4 Chie Arimura -2 F
4 Anna Nordqvist -2 F
6 Karine Icher -1 F
6 Karrie Webb -1 F
6 Hee Young Park -1 F
6 Michelle Wie -1 F
6 Amanda Blumenherst -1 F
11 Jennie Lee E F
11 Mika Miyazato E F
11 In-Kyung Kim E F
11 Beatriz Recari E F
15 So Yeon Ryu +1 F
15 Yani Tseng +1 F
15 Jill McGill +1 F
15 Jenny Shin +1 F

For the full leaderboard:

http://www.tonyslpgareport.com/2013/05/shoprite-lpga-classic-preview-pairings.html

Wow. Ten of those 15 leaders probably Asian. Is this genetics, upbringing, desire, massive competition, or some peculiar combination of traits which brings such consistency to these ladies?

Originally Posted by MSchott

I would think that anyone who is serious enough about golf to be on this site and to open a post about the LPGA would have at minimum heard some of the news about last week's tournament. The Golf Channel had comprehensive coverage. I find your later post to be overly critical. Tony is an asset to this site and really supports the LPGA which otherwise would be talked about solely in terms of the attractiveness of it's members.

Well, you thought wrong.  I had heard nothing about that tournament.  I'm sure I'm not the only one.

How is suggesting that someone include a single brief sentence to make a several paragraph synopsis intelligible to everyone, rather than those already knowledgeable about the event, "overly critical?"  The OP failed to include basic background information, I suggested he include it.  End of story.

Oh, and Golfingdad, you're wrong, too.  It took me nearly five minutes to find the OP's previous thread and read enough of it to find out what he was talking about in this thread.  That took a heck of a lot longer than it takes to type a 12-word sentence.  Plus multiply that search time by every person who, like me, did not pay attention to what was going on with the previous week's tournament and had to go hunt around to find it.  Sports news isn't the same thing as a serial mystery novel printed one chapter at a time - each article should be self-contained and provide the basic information, not reference back to some prior thread or article.

Look, I'm not trying to be argumentative here - my comments are contructive and entirely reasonable.  I made a suggestion that very simply and easily would make these LPGA threads more comprehenisible to everyone.  There's no need to get your panties in a twist simply because someone made a critical comment, particularly when it comes with a good and appropriate suggestion.

Look, I'm not trying to be argumentative here - my comments are contructive and entirely reasonable.

But you are argumentive and not constructive. So YOU need to use a different approach next time. On most forums you would be advised to 'use the f#cking search engine'.

Here are the final results:
1 Karrie Webb -4 F
2 Shanshan Feng -2 F
3 Hee Young Park -1 F
4 Jenny Shin E F
5 Gerina Piller +1 F
5 Jeong Jang +1 F
5 In-Kyung Kim +1 F
5 Chie Arimura +1 F
9 Caroline Hedwall +2 F
9 Ayako Uehara +2 F
9 Julieta Granada +2 F
9 Michelle Wie +2 F
13 Cristie Kerr +3 F
13 Paula Creamer +3 F
13 Mika Miyazato +3 F
13 Amanda Blumenherst +3 F
13 Anna Nordqvist +3 F

For full results:

It was a great tourney. The Bay course sometimes gets kicked in the teeth by these pros, but not this year. Winds were up, greens were fast and diabolical, and rough was deep and thick. I got inside the ropes with Jenny Shin and Il Hee Lee among others. It's a great Rx for my swing to watch these ladies hit up close.

Congrats Karrie! (BTW we saw her partying with her mates in the grill room pretty late on Sat night, so she gets double kudos IMO.)

dak4n6

Note: This thread is 3952 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!