IGNORED

TaylorMade Prepping to produce Non-Conforming Clubs

Note: This thread is 3941 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by NuclearMike

Leave it to TMAG to think of doing stuff like this. If there was ever a CEO of a company that made me NOT want to buy their products it's Mark King.

It seems that no one remembers that Eli Callaway produced non-conforming clubs in the late '90's.

Even King Arnie used a non-conforming Callaway ERC Driver...

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

It seems that no one remembers that Eli Callaway produced non-conforming clubs in the late '90's.

Even King Arnie used a  non-conforming Callaway ERC Driver...

I posted that above, but there is a difference.  I believe Callaway had developed the ERC II with the intentions of it being a conforming driver but the USGA determined it wasn't (also believe the R&A; approved it for use).

TM is making a conscious decision to develop new clubs that it knows will not conform to the USGA / R&A; standards as almost a form of protest to the USGA decision to ban the anchored putting stroke.

Joe Paradiso

I know that, in the grand scheme of things, there is no big deal if the folks that play two mulligan's per nine, and improve their lie in the rough were to get some sort of non-conforming club that made them have more fun.  If they are having more fun, maybe they'll need less mulligan's and in turn play more golf, thus allowing my course to do maintenance, etc.  HOWEVER, I would predict that it won't be too long before those guys forget they are non-conforming and want to get into the club championship, etc.

And where does it end then?  Is there any logical reason that a person should only carry 14 clubs?  No!  Why, you can't even have a full set of woods, irons, and wedges at that silly arbitrary number.  And a lot of people have trouble hitting a driver...  A compressed air powered HowitzerBallz Drive Cannon would be just the answer.  And pitching... golf is the only sport in the world that interprets pitching to mean hitting the ball with some sort of club.  Why can't you pitch with your arm alone; it's good enough for Baseball!  Forget belly putters, I bet a proper microprocessor assisted Aimpoint laser sighting system would be better.

As soon as you decide the rules shouldn't be followed, you can toss the rest out the window too.  I'm not really a TaylorMade fan, so threatening not to buy their stuff won't mean much, but if they do this I won't even consider it if they get some black paint.  If the PGA decides not to abide by the rules of golf... well, at least it seems the LPGA will still be playing Golf, so I can watch them on TV.

Think how Davis Love's caddy in that silly commercial would feel if there were 20 sticks in that sack!

Driver: Titleist 913 D2 10.5*, Aldila RIP Phenom 50

Fairway 1: Titleist 913F, 17*, Titleist Bassara W55

Fairway 2: Titleist 913F, 21*, Titleist Bassara W55

Irons: Titleist AP1 714 5-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95

Wedges: SCOR 4161 48/52/56/60, Genius 9

Grips: GolfPride New Decade Red Mid-size on all of the above.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Super Stroke Slim 3.0

I think that golf could use some easy ways in. If you surf, you start out with a bigger board and work your way to the real ones, why not easier clubs in golf? This is better than making the holes bigger... Something for beginners that would suck for the rest of us. Of course, in order to qualify for leagues, etc., You'de have to use conforming clubs.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by WUTiger

The USGA risks creating demand for a rival association.

I don't think so, sorry. What would the other rival association do? You realize the hill they'd face - courses have ratings, the USGA/R&A; cover the rules for THE ENTIRE WORLD, and so on. It's not exactly something you can easily overcome by saying "play by our rules - they're fun-#ier!!!"

Originally Posted by GaijinGolfer

The ego of TM is getting a little out of control.

I would tend to agree.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I don't think so, sorry. What would the other rival association do? You realize the hill they'd face - courses have ratings, the USGA/R&A; cover the rules for THE ENTIRE WORLD, and so on. It's not exactly something you can easily overcome by saying "play by our rules - they're fun-#ier!!!" I would tend to agree.

Don't most golfers already play by their own rules? Yes, what I'm saying is that more than 50% of all golfers play by something other than the strict rules of golf, so what does it matter?

Colin P.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by colin007

Don't most golfers already play by their own rules? Yes, what I'm saying is that more than 50% of all golfers play by something other than the strict rules of golf, so what does it matter?

Right. So there would be two organizations they could ignore. Brilliant! :D

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

It is just another marketing ploy by TM IMO. People are going to be deceived into thinking that those clubs will help them. It doesn't matter how good the arrow is if the archer can't shoot.

Right. So there would be two organizations they could ignore. Brilliant! :D

I know, I hear ya... The pga and other tours will be unaffected by this so I kind of feel like it's irrelevant.

Colin P.

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

FYI, if you don't play in competition, then your wedges are not actually non-conforming until 2024.  I'm guessing most people like you will have bought new ones by then, not even necessarily because they want to conform, but simply because it's a long time to have wedges.

Or you could do what I am doing and stock up with any 2009 Vokey Spin Milled wedges that will be put away brand new until I can no longer re-groove and sharpen the old ones.

I'm actually a wedge ho, with all different bounces and lofts including multiples of the same.

I'm not good enough for competition. And if I was, there would be a new SM4 or TVD in my bag for that. But by that time I wouldn't need the extra help spinning a wedge.

D:      Titleist 913 D2 (10.5, Stiff, Diamana D+ 62 / Tipped 1/2 inch)

F:      TaylorMade RBZ (15.0, 43 inches & 19.0, 42 inches, Fujikura Rombax Type-X, 75S)

H:      Adams A12 (21 degree, 40 inches, Diamana HY92, Stiff)

I:        Mizuno JPX 800 Pro 5-PW (KBS Tour, X-Flex, Soft Stepped 1x)

GW:   Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 50 (KBS Tour, X-Flex, non-conforming)

SW    Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 56 (bent one degree strong, KBS Tour, Stiff, non-conforming)

LW:    Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 60 (non-conforming, stock shaft)

P1:     Scotty Cameron California Coranado

I think this topic goes along with the other thread about simplifying the rules for those that golf for recreational purposes only.

What I like most about golf is the challenge to get better.  While I might be frustrated after a rough day on the course I'm later motivated to improve.  I believe I and we in TST are probably the minority, there are probably a lot more golfers out there that just want to play a few times a month (or year), do some business, have a few laughs, drink some beer, smoke some cigars and don't really care what the rules or maybe even the score is.

If TM is going to cater to those golfers with a different line of clubs then I guess I'm not as against it as I initially was.  I still don't like King and I think he's completely wrong in trying to undermine the authority of the USGA but from a business/marketing standpoint he can probably pull it off better than anyone else out there right now.

Joe Paradiso

They would sell a whole lot fewer clubs if they marked them as non-conforming.... no way they do that probably will just put a small mark on the head or shaft somewhere if even that.

This could get really interesting.  I have a high-COR driver with a huge head I got off Ebay thats non-conforming.  It makes a huge difference.  If I hit that driver and a Bandit ball I can hit it about 45 yards farther than without.

I hope TM does it.  Banning the anchor'd putter was really stupid.  Stick it to 'em TM, and make it so the guys in front of me on the course get better so they move faster.  Nothing but good can come of putting a better weapon in the hands of an amateur.

Originally Posted by johnclayton1982

They would sell a whole lot fewer clubs if they marked them as non-conforming.... no way they do that probably will just put a small mark on the head or shaft somewhere if even that.

This could get really interesting.  I have a high-COR driver with a huge head I got off Ebay thats non-conforming.  It makes a huge difference.  If I hit that driver and a Bandit ball I can hit it about 45 yards farther than without.

I hope TM does it.  Banning the anchor'd putter was really stupid.  Stick it to 'em TM, and make it so the guys in front of me on the course get better so they move faster.  Nothing but good can come of putting a better weapon in the hands of an amateur.

I doubt they would mark them as non-conforming (since products like Hammer don't either) but would just have a separate product line for them.

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by newtogolf

I doubt they would mark them as non-conforming (since products like Hammer don't either) but would just have a separate product line for them.

They may have to though.  I know that a lot of the Japanese drivers that you see on Ebay have it painted on the sole that they are non-conforming.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

They would sell a whole lot fewer clubs if they marked them as non-conforming.... no way they do that probably will just put a small mark on the head or shaft somewhere if even that. This could get really interesting.  I have a high-COR driver with a huge head I got off Ebay thats non-conforming.  It makes a huge difference.  If I hit that driver and a Bandit ball I can hit it about 45 yards farther than without. I hope TM does it.  Banning the anchor'd putter was really stupid.  Stick it to 'em TM, and make it so the guys in front of me on the course get better so they move faster.  Nothing but good can come of putting a better weapon in the hands of an amateur.

Banning the putter was something that needed to be done. It wouldn't be long before people are anchoring chipping as well. As far as making non-conforming clubs, I don't really like the idea.

Originally Posted by clutchshot

Banning the putter was something that needed to be done.

For a forum that is supposed to be full of golf enthusiasts, what it is going to take to educate you that no putter has been banned?

• Upvote 1

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Note: This thread is 3941 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!