IGNORED

TaylorMade Prepping to produce Non-Conforming Clubs

Note: This thread is 3940 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by dsc123

I have two thoughts.

Second, I don't see a market for it.  I agree that generally, things that make the game easier could find a market, and maybe belly putters are one of those things.  But if you're in the category of people looking for help through illegal clubs, you're probably a terrible golfer.  Box grooves and bigger driver heads aren't going to make any difference.  Maybe belly putters.  But if that's all we're talking about then nobody should care.  Its not like you're going to get cheated by a guy who anchors without you knowing.

I think the size of the market will be relative to the perceived / actual advantages they provide.  A driver is not just limited in terms of size but the trampoline effect is also restricted, so woods that conform in size but use special alloys to allow for an additional 20+ yards per club might attract attention.  Wedge / ball combo's that allow slower swing speeds to spin the ball more easily might also be seen as useful.  You already mentioned anchored putting, but there are also other non-conforming putters on the market, one that looks more like a croquet club than a putter, and one that uses a laser "as a training aide".

As stated earlier, aluminum bats that are not permitted for league use still are offered by many of the major manufacturers so there must be some market.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Would someone please enlighten me.  I understand that a non-conforming driver might have an extremely slick face to reduce spin and a large high-cc head for more power at impact (please do not dissect my wording - you get the point).

I also understand non-conforming wedges would have grooves that spin the ball at "unfair" speeds for incredible stopping power.

However I'm not understanding how TM plans to make non-conforming irons .  Bigger iron heads?  Grooves for stopping power like the wedges?  Someone please explain the ideal cheating-est iron that they could possibly make.

Also I despise TM --despite the badass driver in my bag.  The only TM product I will carry .

Okay..I'll just pull out my old Cleveland CG-reds, callaway x-18's and Ping S-58's that I shelved because they did not conform to the 2010 groove rules(for tournament play til ...)and play the Bunny Slopes.  I thought the manufacturers agreed to the ruling and agreed to stop manufacturing non-conforming clubs. I shelved those iron sets and bought replacement conforming sets of irons and wedges, which was a big win for Titleist, Cleveland, Wilson, Mizuno, Nike, Callaway & TM in my household(2 golfers), probably to the tune of $6K. I get the impression though that TM will not be selling their Mega-Ultra game improvement irons at WMart , in a starter set for$149. I shouldn't complain my first set was the 1994 Dunlop OS set from K-mart for $99 and came with a dozen balls, and the driver was probably non-conforming for the day...ahh those were the days...

There are a few famous janpanes club maker that make non-comforming clubs for the Asia market, such as: Katana - IZU Max Hi55 Driver US$ 1,485 , on-off - 2013 GIII Iron US$ 1,975 and Ryoma D1 special tuning US$ 1,200.  The target market is the seniors with shafts very light and soft.  Only seniors will use it and mostly new players and high handicap players.  They only plays with friend and they all know about the non-conforming.  It did help bring in more new senior players into the game, and there is a market in Asia - very expensive.Young players won't use it because of ego.  I am not against it since it help brings in more seniors into the game and as long as you are aware and agree if your friend use it.  Honesty is the key.

What about a club that has training aides attached? Such as an alignment rod or something to lock the wrist on one plane? Or balance weights to prevent excessive lateral motion on the club. It might even be possible to add a gyro that keeps the clubs on plane better, or gives feedback to the player. Once we make them non-conforming, it seems like all things are possible. A high COR face is no different than adding electronics to a club as the are both non-conforming. Or is there?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

It doesn't concern me, does it for you?  If they are not in competition and not affecting others, if using non-conforming or others training aids that will make them enjoy the game and have fun, and bring in more people to the game, then go ahead.  What would I care if someone you don't know playing in front or behind you on the weekend using non-confirming clubs?  Unless slow play,... that will affect you!

This is just another example of how, in our culture, if something is at all challenging or difficult there will be people clamoring for it to be dumbed down.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

This is just another example of how, in our culture, if something is at all challenging or difficult there will be people clamoring for it to be dumbed down.

Taylormade needs to expand the market. This seems a good way to do it.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

The anchored putter issue is irrelevant for me since I use a standard putter and I don't see golfers using anchored putters statistically dominating the PGA putting stats or making Crenshaw's putting seem like an amateur at a miniature golf course.

I don't think I'd ever buy a 600cc driver or an iron/wedge made with the equivalent of a coarse wood file face on it in lieu of conforming grooves, but I have no plans whatsoever to retire my clubs with non-conforming grooves on them whenever the rule goes in effect on the grooves, unless the USGA plans to subsidize 100% the cost of a new set of irons for me.  I don't play in tournaments and see no point to following this rule, which was intended to lower scoring among the most highly competitive golfers out there who may actually have been receiving some relatively modest benefit from the square grooves.  The rule has no logical application to the 90+ % of golfers who aren't breaking 90 and I see no reason to follow it.  I'm sure some ruleshounds will spout the old cliché about golf without following the rules 100% isn't golf, but if what I'm doing now is perfectly legal and within the rules, why should a rule change that doesn't apply to golfers of my skills and abilities suddenly make me have to dump hundreds of dollars on new equipment in a few years?

I've got no problem with manufacturers selling non-conforming equipment, even stuff that doesn't conform to the present rules, provided it is clearly labeled as "NC" engraved on the back or bottom of the club or some other permanent means of identification.  As for TM's doom and gloom announcements and predictions, there doesn't seem to be much validity to that.

In my bag: - Ping G20 driver, 10.5 deg. S flex - Ping G20 3W, 15 deg., S flex - Nickent 4dx 3H, 4H - Nike Slingshot 4-PW - Adams Tom Watson 52 deg. GW - Vokey 58 deg. SW -Ping Half Wack-E putter

Mark King is such a ****ing douchebag, one reason I am hoping my wife lets me purchase new clubs sometime soon so I can rid myself of anything TM.

2013 Nike VR_S Covert Performance Driver

2013 Nike VR_S Covert Perfomance 15° 3W

18° Burner 1.0 Superlaunch Rescue Hybrid

:mizuno: 4-PW MP-69 Irons

50°, 54° & 58° ATV wedges

Classic Collection #1 Black Putter

:bridgestone: Tour B330 Balls

2013 Tour v3 Laser Rangefinder w/ Jolt Technology

You don't know what pressure is until you play for five bucks with only two bucks in your pocket. -Lee Trevino

Note: This thread is 3940 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!