IGNORED

TaylorMade Prepping to produce Non-Conforming Clubs

Note: This thread is 3935 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Eazy-ier?
  • Upvote 2

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Leave it to TMAG to think of doing stuff like this. If there was ever a CEO of a company that made me NOT want to buy their products it's Mark King.

TM just confirmed what I've thought all along.  Their interests in golf reside 100% in their sales and profits, not in what is best for golf overall.  They are still betting the PGA and PGA Tour buck the USGA and permit anchored putting to diminish the USGA power base and open the door for their bunny slope clubs, etc.   King thinks he's bigger than golf and that's why he won't see another dime of my money.

Joe Paradiso

Glad they are thumbing their nose at the officious usga. I predicted one of the major manufacturers would do that and everyone was such a know it all saying no one would dare challenge the mighty usga for the hearts of the weekend warrior. Palmer and his no anchor belly putter rule, he was touting the ERC driver on national television. He should just shut up already.

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Is it possible that that King guy is just full of hot air?  I mean, he seems to be kind of a loudmouth jerk, so perhaps he's just talking big, but doesn't actually plan on doing this?

I really can't imagine that there would be THAT big of a market for non-conforming clubs.  People you see on the golf course that use goofy things like the no-slice tees or the ball (that starts with a "p", but I forgot the actual name) that promises to go straight, are few and far between, AND are usually laughed at IN FRONT of their backs.

Polara golf balls are the ones you are thinking of.

Maybe he just is talking big, but I don't think so... They'll do it I think. I agree that I don't think that there is that big of a market for them but who knows.

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

Eazy-ier?

Non-Conforming-ier

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

FYI, if you don't play in competition, then your wedges are not actually non-conforming until 2024.  I'm guessing most people like you will have bought new ones by then, not even necessarily because they want to conform, but simply because it's a long time to have wedges.

Thanks, I was not aware! new wedges by then for sure

Hmmm, this thread is a great laugh.  Guys getting all worked up about whither they are up against legal equipment or not. What is needed IMHO is more illegal equipment for all the hackers that I see out every day holding up play so they can actually get a round in under 5 hrs. I've had to stop playing weekly golf 2 years ago because I simply don't have the time to spend over 5 hrs on a course on a Sat morning and playing at sunrise before the hackers get out is not an option either. It wouldn't bother me in the least if I play the round of my career and get beat by a guy with a 10ft putter,  good luck to him. I just want to get 18 holes in and do it in 4hrs like I used to be able to do. The problem is not the equipment,  its all the guys who's opinion of their golfing ability far exceeds that same ability.  Actually think I will start another thread on this slow play thing ... :)  just to rise some people

Originally Posted by jfrain2004

Hmmm, this thread is a great laugh.  Guys getting all worked up about whither they are up against legal equipment or not. What is needed IMHO is more illegal equipment for all the hackers that I see out every day holding up play so they can actually get a round in under 5 hrs. I've had to stop playing weekly golf 2 years ago because I simply don't have the time to spend over 5 hrs on a course on a Sat morning and playing at sunrise before the hackers get out is not an option either. It wouldn't bother me in the least if I play the round of my career and get beat by a guy with a 10ft putter,  good luck to him. I just want to get 18 holes in and do it in 4hrs like I used to be able to do. The problem is not the equipment,  its all the guys who's opinion of their golfing ability far exceeds that same ability.  Actually think I will start another thread on this slow play thing ... :)  just to rise some people

I highlighted two portions of what you said. So... is it a problem, or isn't it? Make up your mind.

Those of us who are against illegal equipment are against it because we simply enjoy playing the game of golf with legal equipment and we try to abide by the rules of the game. Upholding the tradition and challenge of the game is something I am all for.

However, you go ahead and pat those on the back who opt to use ridiculous equipment. I'll continue to try and motivate those who are actually trying to learn the game of golf and are playing with legal equipment for the benefit and tradition of the game as a whole.

PS: I really do not care who opts to use "illegal equipment", I just personally do not see the point and won't advocate it. I definitely won't go out of my way to throw my opinion on you if we're on the same course.

Trying to get under the skin off USGA obviously.

I think they do have a point.

As for the long putter, there not totally banned.

The way Adam scott uses his long putter will still be allowed.

or am i wrong about this?

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

Personally, I think that they risk their reputation and the respect of the playing community by such a knee jerk reaction.  King is a loose cannon and if he's allowed to roll free for too long, he just might sink the ship.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I think this is a bluff. Callaway tried this a few years ago with the driver with too high a COR, in the end they gave up and lost market share in the process. TaylorMade's marketing is all built on "play the #1 driver on tour" which means whatever they sell needs to be in the hands of tour players. Illegal clubs will not be played on tour and therefore will not be big sellers. I think some of the people at TaylorMade will see this.

By nature we golfers are a group of rule followers. The game requires this because we call penalties on ourselves. I think TaylorMade is thinking that we are upset by the anchoring ruling and want to revolt against the institution. When in reality most golfers will just follow the rules.

Michael

I think this is a bluff. Callaway tried this a few years ago with the driver with too high a COR, in the end they gave up and lost market share in the process. TaylorMade's marketing is all built on "play the #1 driver on tour" which means whatever they sell needs to be in the hands of tour players. Illegal clubs will not be played on tour and therefore will not be big sellers. I think some of the people at TaylorMade will see this.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that was on purpose.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by jamo

That was my understanding as well, they got too close to the limits and the USGA considered the ERCII non-conforming.  They didn't have a back up plan so they tried taking it to market under the guise of rebelling against the USGA guidelines.  It didn't sell well once the word got out that it was a non-conforming driver.

Arnold Palmer surprisingly defended Callaway and the ERC II, publicly stating he felt it added to the enjoyment of the game.

Joe Paradiso

I guess it depends on what you mean by purpose. I mean to say that they used marketing to say essentially say "fight the power" and use clubs that don't conform. They even got Arnie to chime in, which I would bet he regrets a bit too. That is what I was trying to say. Maybe in the design of the club as you were saying it was not done on purpose. I don't really know that.

Michael

The following story is a complete and total fabrication

Why is golf more important that US law?

This one time on my way to band camp, I drove faster than the posted United states speed limit. Another time, I turned in an expense report without all of the receipts.  and this one time, I crossed a street on a flashing do not cross sign.  Another time, in the middle of the night, I didn't come to a full and complete stop at a stop sign.

end of total fabrication

My point is that all of the above examples are victim-less crimes.  In the same aspect that non-conforming equipment is a victim less offense.  Companies already make non-conforming equipment, and it has not arguably impacted the game.  If it is well labeled as non-conforming, that WHO CARES WHAT OTHER PEOPLE DO.

The reason that I love the game of golf is that I don't have to compare myself to other players.  It is myself against a golf course, to do better than the best that I have ever done.  I don't care if the person I am playing with his conforming equipment, non-conforming equipment, or equipment that is colored pink with purple stripes.  If they are enjoying playing with it, and playing with it puts them in a better mood, than it will increase my enjoyment of the hobby that I love.

I believe that golf should be a relaxing exercise.  It is 4-5 hours of walking in a park like setting that forces me to focus on everything but the pressures of every day life.  In the end, I can't imagine that my life is going to measurably different if I play with a guy who has non-conforming golf balls.

In my bag:

some golf clubs

a few golf balls

a bag of tee's some already broken the rest soon to be

a snickers wrapper (if you have seen me play, you would know you are not going anywhere for a while)

and an empty bottle of water

.  I believe that golf should be a relaxing exercise.  It is 4-5 hours of walking in a park like setting

SLOW PLAYER!! BAN HIM!

• Upvote 1

Colin P.

New Taylormade "bunny slope" putter.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I have no problem if TM comes out with a BunnyBalz product line, and I have no problem if people want to play golf with a Hammer (pow!), double sided chipper, and long putter attached to their forehead.    To enjoy playing basketball, do you have to play it with a specified ball, a hoop exactly at 10 feet and a court with exact dimensions, and with 5 people on a team playing with a shot clock?   To play football, do you have to use a 100 yard long field with 11 men on a side,  playing exact specified positions, running plays, and tackling in exact accordance with a 20 pound rule manual?    No...one can grab a non-regulation ball and find any spot of ground and make up a game that is fun, like playing "horse" or 1:1 basketball, or flag or touch football.

Sports need to be accessible, and allowing people to pick up the game with instruments that can be handled by them - such as a smaller football or basketball and lower height basket for juniors  - and then play with those in a format that is enjoyable and hooks them is something that needs to be done by any sport, including golf.  But if you want to compete, there need to be the strict rules and regulations just like any sport, detailing what equipment and forms of play are not accessible.   Golf seems to be the only sport that works overtime to dictate that everyone play by the exact same rules and equipment no matter where they are in the competition hierarchy, and that is intimidating to many who wish to take up the game.

I say more power to TM, and I hope they also work with places that will create small golf environments like 3, 6, or 9 hole "courses" where people can go play with whatever they want and get hooked on the challenge of trying to knock a little ball a long distance into a little hole.    Do that and the golf will be a healthy sport and grow.

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 3935 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!