IGNORED

What do you need to play par?

Note: This thread is 3964 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by boil3rmak3r

Maybe one of the 5SK guys can chime in on this, but I always heard that you should let a beginner try to knock it as far as they want.  Of course, there has to be some sort of balance between encouraging them to try to hit it far and trying to teach proper mechanics.  I've read that it's easier to teach a long hitter to straighten out their shots than it is to teach a short knocker to hit it further.  So, if one truly is a beginner, I don't necessarily agree they should focus on accuracy and not distance.  There's a chance that strategy could back fire 5 or 10 years down the road when the person is a much better golfer who is trying to get to, let's say, a high single digit handicap.

Really? That is interesting about learning distance first. I've never heard that, but if true it would make me re-think my game somewhat.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted by pipergsm

I grew up among teachers, and have been teaching music and languages for many years, successfully.

Well - in that case you would know that to play a wind instrument successfully all you have to do is to blow in the mouthpiece and move your fingers on and off the levers and holes.

And to play tyhe piano you simply move your hand up and down the keyboard, arranging your fingers on the black and white keys in various combinations, at the same time as lifting your feet on and off the pedals. EASY!

For languages, simply sound out words that you have heard or seen printed on a page, taking care to pronounce the words correctly. Man...this is SOOOO simple!!

Does this sound familiar?  If not, we have a bigger problem than you think.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Originally Posted by Lash

Really? That is interesting about learning distance first. I've never heard that, but if true it would make me re-think my game somewhat.

I am not a teaching pro, so don't rethink anything simply based on my opinion. I could be way off base...  Also, I think learning to generate clubhead speed and hitting the ball where you want it to go hand in hand.  It's all about developing proper mechanics.

Originally Posted by Spyder

Look half of this is completely subjective and is in no way factual or "the way it is". Everything that I highlighted in bold is silly and the part that I read, which I highlighted in red, about the fairway woods is unbelievable.

PS: Where the hell have I been and how did I miss this? Also, what is a "medium distance course"? Am I being trolled?

You just haven't put yourself in the state of zen required to accept the teachings of this self-proclaimed golfing guru.  While he may be inexperienced, his understanding of the inner workings of the game of golf, and the swing itself, transcend the concepts we typically associate with good teachers. You must first free yourself of these assumptions.  Let me help you:

Do you need to have extensive, acquired knowledge about the subject to be able to teach it?     NO

Do you need to have experience in testing the theories that you are preaching?                         NO

Do you need to be able to analyze and interpret a student's flaws/strengths, and effectively communicate with them?                                                                                                                                               NO

Do you need to have a f**kin clue about putting statistics?                                                       NO

So, what do you need?

1) You need to have the passion and confidence to say what you want with conviction, and remain unwavering in your message, even in the face of unanimous rejection.

2) You need the internet.  Where else will you find people willing to listen to somebody with no credentials?

3) Most importantly, you need to have a firm grip and long enough reach to be able to reach back and pull arbitrary percentages and statistics out of your a**hole with almost no rhyme nor reason to them.

Lastly--and this is the absolute biggest secret that nobody has EVER understood before--to be a great teacher, you should focus on being good at teaching.

You're welcome.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

I wonder how all those scratch golfers I watched at the SCGA tournament fared today at Brookside Golf Course?

Watching them play is the only way you will ever appreciate their talent, and on top of that I think they are high school students.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'd be a millionaire!

Played 9 holes Saturday. After 3B on 1st hole, went par,par,par,par,bogey,3b,par,bogey. The 1st hole didnt bother me as I just rolled out of bed, threw my clubs in the car and went hacking. I never hit irons good early in the morning. 1st iron was slice city. Settled down after that. The other 3B was I finally found a fairway bunker. Generally I hit out of these pretty good. Caught some sand and only sailed out about 60 yds. Then chunked an iron. Then I got pizzed, didnt aim and just chunked towards the green. Then chipped and then 2 putted. The bogeys were missed greens. The point is, I played 27 holes where I was making 70% GIRs. That day I made like 50-60% although I did 2-putt most of the day. Also hit a fairway bunker. That is the way my golf has been going. When I hit a straight drive,hit the green, then I 3 putt. When I hit a good drive and putt good, I will mix in enough bad iron shots to screw it all up. I was happy my putting was better. Was also playing with my 11 yr old, he gets on my nerves at times and can be distracting. I was happy with my 44 and it shows I can string together some good holes, doesnt mean I have pro-like stats. At times, I do, but not consitently through 18 holes. My record for most unbelievable score was 47 with a 3 putt average on all 9 holes.

I shoot in the low 90's. Hard to tell anymore as my work schedule changed and all I ever do is play 9 holes. I keep getting stuck on the front 9 of my local coarse. Hole 5,6,7 are low handicapper holes, although 5 is not that bad unless there is a north wind, then it gets real dicey.Generally play back 9 4 or 5 shots better. And even then do I have a real handicap if I dont play black tees ? my wedges and putting are generally what kill my score. Putting mainly. However last 9 I played, I 2 putted everything which was an improvement, but then I had a couple of irons go whack. 1 was overconfidence, been hitting the irons so good I just walked up and went for it. bad idea. I dunno, haven't really "played for score" so to speak in awhile. Usually working on something. Last time it was to continue to get confidence in new iron swing, figure out new driver, and 2 putt. Plus am working with my 11 yr old. trying to get him ready for 1st tournament. I had 7 holes I was 2 over on, the 1st hole was ugly( just woke up) and had 1 other hole that was ugly(sand,chunk,meltdown)Play a lot better when I play with strangers as I tend to take my time with each shot and concentration is much, much better. So yeah, 25 handicap sounds ok I guess.

Originally Posted by Blueman

My record for most unbelievable score was 47 with a 3 putt average on all 9 holes.

I have to say, that is one impressive feat.

My record for most unbelievable score was 47 with a 3 putt average on all 9 holes.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I'm trying to comprehend this... So did you three putt every hole? Or did you 1 putt a couple and 5 putt a couple?

Is it possible to be that bad at putting?? Hahaha, I'm kidding. (but seriously)

Lol. And yet, less than 1% of all league bowlers in the U.S. carry an average of 260. Bowling is much easier than golf, but carrying a 260 average is very much like carrying a low single digit handicap in golf.

Not that this is precisely relevant, but this is wildly inaccurate. There has only ever been ONE bowler who has averaged over 260 in ten-pin bowling during a league season. Jeff Carter -261.74 in I think 2007 or 2008. This guy is a PBA pro who did this in a local league on easy house conditions one year. A great player, and also an anomaly. Having a low single digit cap in golf is more like holding a bowling average in the mid- 220's / low 230's. Less than 1% of players are at this level, but you will see a few at each major bowling center around town.

Originally Posted by BostonBrew

I'm trying to comprehend this... So did you three putt every hole? Or did you 1 putt a couple and 5 putt a couple?

Is it possible to be that bad at putting?? Hahaha, I'm kidding. (but seriously)

Seems to me that if he averaged 3 putts on every 9 then he had a total of 27 putts no matter how you distribute them. That leaves 20 other strokes to complete the round, an average of 2.22 strokes to get to every green...

I call dime-sized brown spot.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

Seems to me that if he averaged 3 putts on every 9 then he had a total of 27 putts no matter how you distribute them. That leaves 20 other strokes to complete the round, an average of 2.22 strokes to get to every green...

I hadn't bothered with the math. But that's a great point.

Seems to me that if he averaged 3 putts on every 9 then he had a total of 27 putts no matter how you distribute them. That leaves 20 other strokes to complete the round, an average of 2.22 strokes to get to every green... I call dime-sized brown spot.

That means--assuming 36 par--he hit every green in regulation except two. Right? Unless he reached one of the greens in less than regulation. Either way, he is the worst putter ever.

Seems to me that if he averaged 3 putts on every 9 then he had a total of 27 putts no matter how you distribute them. That leaves 20 other strokes to complete the round, an average of 2.22 strokes to get to every green...

It's entirely possible. He may have rounded to a whole number as well, could have had 23-24 putts, and it also could have been a par 35. Not likely, but possible. Sounds odd that someone could be that accurate of a ball striker and that terrible at putting. Haha.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Originally Posted by bplewis24

That means--assuming 36 par--he hit every green in regulation except two. Right? Unless he reached one of the greens in less than regulation.

Either way, he is the worst putter ever.

I guess it isn't impossible but DAMN, the poster needs to anchor or something...

Yours in earnest, Jason.

I guess it isn't impossible but DAMN, the poster needs to anchor or something...

Typically if I have more than one 3 putt in 18 holes, I kick my own ass. I couldn't imagine 7 or 8 in 9 holes. I'd probably just quit. Haha.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Note: This thread is 3964 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!